996 showa into 800sport - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

996 showa into 800sport

anyone got suggustions. I just picked up from ebay a set of showa forks off a 996/998 with the aim of installing them on my 2005 800 sport which has basic suspension. however they top of the forks are 53mm and my yolks holes are 50mm. so this would require new top yolk & bars off a 996 etc. also the brake holes are 50mm apart and mine are 65mm apart so i need a set of calipers suitable. this is starting to get expensive.
so is there anyway to insert the internals of the showas into my folks which are marzzoci's (ignore spelling).
i spotted the forks last minute on ebay and got them for an excellent price. they are like brand new so its a shame to have to sell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Are you sure the caliper spacing is 50mm? That would be very unusual. 40mm is more likley, and I believe somebody makes an adapter for the later 65mm caliper, though I couldn't say who right off the top of my head. As for the triples, I would say go for the cyclecat top clamp. Beyond georgeous. Although a lot of people have had success with having their top clamp milled out, and that costs about 1/10 as much. Dont even bother with the marzoccis.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:30 am
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
I just picked up from ebay a set of showa forks off a 996/998 with the aim of installing them on my 2005 800 sport which has basic suspension. however they top of the forks are 53mm and my yolks holes are 50mm.
996/998 forks are also 65mm, so they must be off an early 916/748, which are 40mm. You can buy adapters for the calipers, and bore out the top clamp.

Tom

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Quote:
anyone got suggustions. I just picked up from ebay a set of showa forks off a 996/998 with the aim of installing them on my 2005 800 sport which has basic suspension. however they top of the forks are 53mm and my yolks holes are 50mm. so this would require new top yolk & bars off a 996 etc.
Have the upper clamp machined to fit the new forks, just get a shim the exact thickness of the gap in the upper. This helps the cutting tool make the transition over the gap easier.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:58 am

Here's what you need:

http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....el&artikel=234

'04 Multistrada 1000DS
'97 900SS
'82 900SS

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2006, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Cheers for the advice & info and especially for that website gorma900, go to spend some money there. But i do not like the idea of adding plates between forks & brakes so i'll ebay them.
if i get 749 showa forks with both yolks and correct caliper spacing. i see that the yolks have the fixing for the steering damper does anyone know if this would foul the tank on the ss and if so can it be cut off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Cheers for the advice & info and especially for that website gorma900, go to spend some money there. But i do not like the idea of adding plates between forks & brakes so i'll ebay them.
if i get 749 showa forks with both yolks and correct caliper spacing. i see that the yolks have the fixing for the steering damper does anyone know if this would foul the tank on the ss and if so can it be cut off.

You may find that conversion even more expensive than the Superbike upgrade. You will need a wheel,axle and rotors as wele as the forks. The 749/999 rotors have a different offset than the rest of the Duc line save for some of the "R" Superbikes.

Also the steering stem may not be the same, nor the offset correct for the Sport.

The idea you had of putting the Superbike forks on your sport is a great upgrade. Using the caliper adapters is not an issue either. I know of several who have used them for years without issue. It would be far easier and less expensive to use what you have already and have the Sport Triples machined to fit the Supoerbike forks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2006, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Thank ducman, saved me money.
I have just purchased a set of showas with 65mm spacing from a late model 996 and i'll get the yolk machined. I sure the adapters are fine but its something that would always bug me if i used them. the duc is a toy so i have to be happy.
thanks again for all you advice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Thank ducman, saved me money.
I have just purchased a set of showas with 65mm spacing from a late model 996 and i'll get the yolk machined. I sure the adapters are fine but its something that would always bug me if i used them. the duc is a toy so i have to be happy.
thanks again for all you advice.
No worries Daren. Thats what we are all here for. Id just hate to see someone else make the mistakes Ive made. Yes I thought about the 999 stuff but I got to looking at the differences between the two and the $$ started going through the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode