Took the plunge... - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2013, 9:57 pm

I miss my 1000ds SS. What a great bike from a looks and performance standpoint.

Anyone want to trade a SS for an S4 Senna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2013, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Nice...how did the valves check out?

I want one of those with carby fairings
Thankfully the valves have all checked out good and well within spec.

Excuse my newness, what are carby farings? I didn't get far with a quick web search. Carbon fiber? Thanks.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Excuse my newness, what are carby farings? I didn't get far with a quick web search. Carbon fiber? Thanks.
Carby = Carburettor. Carbon Fiber is usual abbreviated to CF.

Your model, like mine is fuel injected, and has different fairings to the previous, "carby" version.

Have a look a few posts down at thehun's avatar for the carby version and don't get into arguments about which looks better.

Richard

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!

post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2014, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Update...

Quote:
Thankfully the valves have all checked out good and well within spec.

So, at the time of the above quote we only checked the first 3 valves, we didn't get to the vertical exhaust valve til sometime later. That valve was just a tad off. Because of schedules and holidays and persistent subfreezing temps (unheated garage) it was a few more weekends before we could get the right shim and put things back together.

For whatever rookie reason(s) we couldn't get the opening rocker arm to slide back over the new shim. After a while we then tried to slide the rocker over the original shim and still couldn't slide it over.

After several tries over different days and iterations of failed attempts, the better half of my equation offered to help pay the shop time if we'd say uncle and take it in to let a professional finish things up. I gladly accepted the offer...

Don't think it's the cause of us not being able to slid the opening rocker arm back in place but found out the DS1000 has loose valve guides (again). We assumed that because the guides were in the database as being changed in '08 under warranty we didn't think much of it. We also didn't think much of the chewed up valve guide seal boots (they didn't look this bad when they were still installed).

The Tech at the shop showed me the seals and showed the valve guide moving. We decided to bite the bullet and we’re having the valve guides replaced. The shop said they’ll replace the guides with non-Ducati ones supposedly of better quality (I forget the make).

On the bright side, I’m glad we found this out now rather than at a track day or out in the the sticks in April or May.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Good Update...

SportBikeTrackTime

1999 Ducati 900SSie
John Deere 42"
Tora 22" sp

enjoy life ride a duc today.
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
another update...

This afternoon the local dealer MotoCorsa held another one of their winter seminars. This time is was on Desmo valves and they had examples of the heads of different motors of most modern Ducs.

They didn't have a 2-valve head in decent shape for demo purposes and mine were already off while awaiting valve-guide replacement so they used one of mine to demonstrate the valve operation. The head was bolted to the table and they would use a drill to turn the cam and it was cool to see them in operation.

In return for demo use I scored a discount on parts... We decided to use the discount to buy a set of Speedymoto clipons for the SS to raise the bars a tad.

Okay, back to the SS update... they're waiting on a part before they send the heads and valves to the machine shop. The valves had some pitting from carbon buildup but they said the machine shop could take care of it. They also said they didn't see any scoring in the cylinder. At least another week to go.

On the plus side of the long wait... Last weekend I talked the better half into adding frame sliders to the work order, this weekend I was able to add the clip-ons, next weekend I'll swing for the fences and see if I can squeeze in fork service

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2014, 5:46 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
FWIW some of us think the Supersport is the best street bike Ducati ever made. The SS (FI or Carby) will do just about anything a street rider could want to do legally on the street. Congrats you have gotten your hands on a keeper.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
collets weren't seating right...

Quote:
So, at the time of the above quote we only checked the first 3 valves, we didn't get to the vertical exhaust valve til sometime later. That valve was just a tad off. Because of schedules and holidays and persistent subfreezing temps (unheated garage) it was a few more weekends before we could get the right shim and put things back together.

For whatever rookie reason(s) we couldn't get the opening rocker arm to slide back over the new shim. After a while we then tried to slide the rocker over the original shim and still couldn't slide it over.

After several tries over different days and iterations of failed attempts, the better half of my equation offered to help pay the shop time if we'd say uncle and take it in to let a professional finish things up. I gladly accepted the offer...
I wish I would've seen this thread back when we were attempting our valve work... It describes the same problems we encountered and explains why we weren't able to slide the arm back in place even with the original shims.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-super...-problems.html

On the bright side, I learned a TON in the process, the shop caught the loose valve guides (along with a few other items) and we were able to take care of a few more service and upgrade items while the shop has the bike. 'Really looking forward to spring!

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport

Last edited by Coconut; Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:25 pm.
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I think these bikes are growing on me (and probably everyone else) as all SS models seem to do eventually. The 1000 seems to be pretty rare too. Good stuff.

06 Multistrada 1078S
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
FWIW some of us think the Supersport is the best street bike Ducati ever made. The SS (FI or Carby) will do just about anything a street rider could want to do legally on the street. Congrats you have gotten your hands on a keeper.
I love my Supersport (DS1000SS) but it is a track only machine. However, I still think my new (to me) ST3 is the ultimate Ducati street bike. (Have 848 too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode