Took the plunge... - Page 11 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2018, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
I started reading this thread late last night and it gave me nightmares.....sort of. Honestly, Patrick, had I read this entire thread I'm not sure I'd have taken the plunge for my SS but that's a moot point now. At least I have your excellent writing about your experiences to refer to and now feel a great deal more knowledgeable about the mechanical workings of the 1000DS.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to set up a Go Fund Me page for my SS.
Thanks Beemerboy. In hindsight, knowing what I know now and in retrospect, (I shake my head as I type this) I would take the plunge again. I'd do things differently and make a few different choices for sure, but would do it again. I can't say I wouldn't have similar experiences along with similar trackday and pit friends with a sorted SV, but everytime I think about selling the SS to buy a sorted track SV or other sub-$3k inline 4 track bike I can't do it. At least not yet. I blame my SportClassic GT1000.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Noted, thanks!

899Panigale,900ss(1996)YZ450FX. Previous:FZR1000EXUP,FZR400 F3 racebike,RZ50 “bucket racer”,D50 “bucket racer”,RD350YPVS,YB125.Go VR46!(And if Rossi doesn’t win, may it be Dovi)
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Garage
stickier tires

Another installment of my personal adventure with an '03 SS...

With the 2018 season approaching its end, this past Monday I enjoyed another fastastic track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA with 50-75 of my closest friends.

I thought my rear Q3 would make it to the end of this track season (~9 track days on them) and I’d try the new Q4 next season… Tech inspection thought otherwise and suggested a new rear. I’ll take it as a compliment that I had plenty of tread down the middle and it’s the side tread depth that wasn’t to their liking… I have been eyeing the Q4s since they came out and viewed it as an opportunity to try the Q4s sooner than later and see what sticky rubber is all about. The downside of getting to try a new tire sooner than later is that I’d have to pull my wheels off first thing at the track day. Upside, the Dunlop tire guy at the track only charges $10/tire change (including disposal) off bike, we pitted ~30yards from the tire guy and the first two morning sessions were cold (low 50's), I don’t think I missed much.

Previous tire changes have been done at the shop, this was the first time I've pulled the wheels. Some tire changing observations:

Out back I was reminded of my SS’s past life and harms. Swingarm damage from the conical spacer mis-installed in the past:

On the bright side, a friend recently had similar damage to his 1000SS swingarm repaired so I have a reputable shop in mind and an idea of cost it would take if I wanted to restore the gouged material.

Up front, removal went as anticipated with no surprises we were aware of. During re-install I happened to re-install the same caliper bolts in the same holes. I thought it was cool that when torqued to spec, the previous grease pencil markings lined right up.

Short of calibrating a 2x4 with a thinner piece of wood to place under tire during axle removal/install, any alternatives or competing products to the PitBull Tire Wedge?

Back to track days and the SS... After a season of trackdays I’m super happy with the HealTech quickshifter and gear indicator. In previous seasons my left forearm could get less cooperative later in the afternoon and that’d contribute towards calling it a day sooner than I’d like. In addition to the quick shifting, each quickshift up is one less clutch actuation for my left hand, bonus. I dig the large indicator digit I placed above the tach. I can see it out of my peripheral and/or with minimal shift of my eyes to confirm what gear I’m in if I’m not sure. The only hiccup I’ve observed with the quickshifter is if I’m at too low rpms while entering a right turn, the motor appears to briefly briefly cut, almost like it thought I was going to upshift. I’m not sure if my size 47s contacting the shift rod or something, but my takeaway is to either take that right turn faster and/or in the better gear for that turn. No downsides to the gear indicator, happy to have it.

On to the stickier tire upgrade… Going from my well-enjoyed Q3s to shiny new Q4s was eye-opening to say the least. After a relaxed first session on new to me tires it was game-on and so much fun! The experience was a lot like driving my ’07 Grand Cherokee all morning in the twisties then switching to my housemate’s current model Grand Cherokee for the drive back. Things felt smoother yet solid firm and precise, even braking felt better. Maybe it was the slightly higher tire pressure? No changes to suspension, slightly upped tire pressures. I ran 32psi front, 31psi rear on the Q3s; per the Dunlop tire guy, I ran 34 front, 32 rear (hot pressures were 36 front, 35 rear).

My crush on the Q4s may change next season depending on how many track days I’m able to get out of a set. Initial reports are 3-4 track days if you’re lucky, less with more powerful bikes (and faster riders). Oh well, I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I’m sure Q3+s would’ve been more than fine replacements but the Q4s are literally shiny and new compared to Q3s in the shop. Logic, cost-effectiveness and practicality don’t always align nor compute when it comes to hobbies, let alone Duc motos and track days.

Thanks for tuning in and for all of the suggestions and opinions.

redpato, ducvet and Lanesmatb like this.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2018, 1:10 pm

I absolutely love this thread!
Coconut likes this.
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Such a fantastic track day yesterday, I couldn’t wait until the end of season to begin writing a 2019 update to this thread. I’m still recovering from yesterday, but also still enjoying the trackday endorphin high too… Yesterday was another awesome day at my favorite track, The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA. With the recent announcement of a MotoAmerica round to be hosted there next June I'm curious and excited to see how the track's expansion plans pan out over the next 9 month.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/p...o-big-leagues/

Where to begin, I’ll start with lap times…

I closed out last season with a personal best lap at The Ridge Motorsports Park of just under 2:19; my best lap at the first track day of this season was 2:20. Yesterday with a lot of help I recorded a 2:13!

No illusions and no problem admitting and accepting there's still tons to learn and get smoother at, and that many chunks of time are still to be gained. For reference the the track record was a 1'40" flat on a 600cc bike. Current record is a 1'38" on a s1000rr. Where do I attribute the time gains from? A combination of things, in my perceived order of importance:

On-track coaching. Between the three of us friends pitting together we shared two coaches. On friend had a coach to himself, each session ($$), I shared a coach with my other pit-mate($). I got the coach’s attention most of the morning sessions, my friend got the coach’s attention the remaining morning and most of the afternoon’s sessions.

Feedback in a nutshell, I was missing out on “free speed” by not using all of the track available to me. I adjusted my lines through 4 turns and my eyes were opened wider! The adjusted lines had me carrying enough new speed to stay in the next higher gear than I used to be in, resulting in me getting in and out of those corners even quicker. Next track day, in addition to building on my new lines, I intend to work on my braking. My coach felt I had at least another 2 ‘easy’ seconds I can gain with braking later at that track, noted.

I’m kicking myself for not bucking-up and waiting this long before seeking more track instruction. A cool thing about the coaching is that during the sessions I wasn’t being coached I was still benefiting from the coaching by tucking in behind one my friends or their coaches and trying to keep up with them while I continued to work on either my lines or getting smoother on down-hill right-handers.

Open track/lack of traffic. Yesterday was my first time riding with a relatively new track day provider MotoVixens. Their days cost a little more but the trade-off/benefit is their grids are much less crowded. It also helps that there were zero red flags that day. During the riders meeting a rider asked about passing rules. The reply was “There are no passing rules in all three groups, but when passing, pass for the comfort of the rider being passed (something to that effect)”. In a conversation with the organizer at the end of the day, she said they found that some riders thought too much about what the passing rules are while passing instead of focusing on reasonable pass so they switched their approach. The smaller grids help a bunch too.

Body position while braking. At some point in one of the first two sessions I adjusted my body position while braking harder in preparation for downhill right-handers. Instead of gripping the sides of the tank with both of my inner thighs to keep from sliding forward in to the back of the tank in discomfort, my butt was shifted slightly to the right on the seat, so that my left inner thigh was now keeping my body from sliding forward by resting behind the back of the tank. The switch from gripping the sides of the tank to an angled inner thigh against the back of the tank felt a lot better. Downhill right turns felt like they became smoother and with less effort on the bars. I started doing the same with my inner right thigh for harder braking for left turns and things continued to improve with subsequent sessions.

In retrospective speculation of a non-professional, I think part of my problem with downhill turns before was being more tense having to squeeze the sides of the tank and that tension influenced hand control inputs. With my inner thigh on the back of the tank while braking I was relatively resting while braking compared to before and think that contributes to the hand controls feeling lighter and more fluid before and during turns.

Switching gloves. A few seasons back I wanted to up my hand protection with new gloves. I happened up a lightly used pair of A-Stars Supertech gloves in my size for a price I couldn’t refuse and bought them. These are my first gloves with the connected pinky and ring fingers. For some reason, during the first session yesterday I did not like how the Supertechs were interfacing with the grips, things felt sticky. Out I curiousity I decided to use my tried and true ol’faithful Revit SLR gloves, my street gloves the next session… It felt like getting a keyboard upgrade at work. Hand controls felt lighter, more natural, better. Time to sell the Supertech XXL gloves and go glove shopping again. I love the Revit SLR gloves, but know there are more protective gloves out there. To honor my commitment to family and friends who are less fond of motorcycle riding, I want my protective gear to be above average if not the best available.

The Q4 tires now have three track days on them and all indications are I should get another track day or two+? It may be a function of who techs my bike that track day morning. I’m now feeling more confident my set has a shot at completing at least most of typical season of mine. The benefits of being relatively slow on a relatively lower-hp bike and usually skipping the last sessions of the afternoon due to fatigue/lack of fitness.

The digital gear indicator and HealTech quickshifter are growing on me more. In a first, I don’t believe I blew any (down)shifts yesterday and the interruption to my forward looking awareness is minimal to remind myself of what gear I’m currently in.

As for the quickshifter, between 6500 and 7000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot. Between 6500-7000 the shifts are smoother and the rpm drop between the current and next gear is minimized.
Dukerdr and psyopper like this.

2007 GT1000
2003 DS1000 SuperSport

Last edited by Coconut; Aug 31st, 2019 at 8:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode