"OH SNAP" There goes my chain - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

"OH SNAP" There goes my chain

I go out early this morning for a nice "it's not raining" Sunday morning ride with a buddy of mine. Since I am working on the 996 rebuild, I take out my black beauty 750ss. We take off towards Wickenberg(just north west of my house in Peoria), and hit some tastey twisties jst west of the town.

Nice ride out there and had some fun, saw some other sportbike guys riding too, soaking up the roads.

After we get back into town, we hit up a Denny's for some breakfast and coffee, rest our wrists, then proceed to hit the road towards the homebase. Up to this point, it's a great day. Then it happens:

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I immediately think my motor grenades, but the rear wheel doesn't lock up, not to mention my bike spins up to 8K immediately. I pull the clutch, chop the throttle, and proceed to coast. All happened in less than a second, BTW. I look down to see NO CHAIN! I look back to see my chain sliding on down the road. Slightly freaked, I coast to the side of the road. All of you PHX guys who know the road(HWY 60 between Wickenberg and Lake Pleasant), there is NOTHING there.

My riding buddy sees me not behind him and comes back around, but has to go a few miles due to no turn around break in the HWY. I call Progressive and they get me a tow truck(with a motorcycle trailer ) to get me home. +1 so far for Progressive.

The result:

My CF rear fender TOAST! My CF mufflers TOAST! Ouch, that hurt. I haven't been able to get a good look at my case yet, but the sprocket cover looks OK from the outside and I don't want to touch the bike until the adjuster get here, to play it safe. I look into the cover at the case and there are obvious scars on the case where the chain hit the engine case.

One things is for sure, I am glad I was doing the speed limit at the time. I was going about 65mph, 5th gear at about 4200rpms-ish, I think. We were on the way home, following a minivan at the time, so I know I was in the ballpark.

What did I learn from this? For one, if you have custom bits on the bike, insure them. I have an additional $10K custom coverage on the SS for this reason, and it only cost me an additional $153 per 6 months. Secondly, I love CF bits. I can only imagine what would have happened if it was the stock plastic. Lastly, NEVER forget your cellphone. If my buddy didn't have his I would've been screwed until someone pulled over to help me. OH BTW, it's monsoon season, so about 100 degrees and like 70% humidity, yum!

I'm guessing the frame may have been safe due to my mufflers being under seat design, so they may have taken the brunt of the chain impact, besides the fender. I'm glad it didn't lock into my rear wheel, or my left leg. That would've SUCKED!

We'll see what happens when the adjuster looks at it this week. I'm guessing, best case scenario; replace mufflers and rear fender, sprockets and chain, about $2200.00. Worst case; replace motor(cases), rear wheel, sprockets, fender, mufflers, $ya, right. I'll be buying her back with a salvage title, pulling the motor and getting to work.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Hey Brian...did you go grab the chain?? Any idea or indicatons what caused the failure?? Good luck with your insurance too. Hope it all works out.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Insurance for mechanical breakdown? Your chain broke but you didn't crash did you? I don't see grounds for a claim. Let us know how it turns out.

2001 ST4
BCM-built in 2004. 120RWHP and still running great after 33k. Thanks Bruce!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Ric

My insurance for this kind of event.
http://www.topendz.com/mm5/merchant....ode=DesmoTimes
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy
Hey Brian...did you go grab the chain?? Any idea or indicatons what caused the failure?? Good luck with your insurance too. Hope it all works out.
Jon: No, I didn't go back. It flew off into the bush on the side of the highway and I wasn't going to test my highway crossing luck.

ST4R: Honestly, as far as the claim, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out with the insurance company. If anything, it may fall into the comprehensive but I would imagine it depends why the chain snapped, and come to think of it, it may have been a good idea to get the chain.

Ric: Ironically, I was going to order one for the 996 during the rebuild. Will be definitely buying one for the SS.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
My insurance for this kind of event.
http://www.topendz.com/mm5/merchant....ode=DesmoTimes
Does anybody know where to get a case saver for a 2006 SS1000? All of the ones I've found so far exclude it. I'm planning on regearing soon and I'm a little nervous about my chain riveting skills.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 7:40 am

Damn Brian. That sucks. Glad it didn't throw you down the road.

What kind of master link? Rivet?

I race because other sports only require one ball
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:14 am

Sorry to hear - I hope the cases are not damaged. All this insurance stuff is interesting but the question I'd want answered is ; why did the chain break?

99 SSie

75 860 GT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:35 am

Wow... I guess... its hard to say and probably even harder to hear, but be glad the chain didn't get caught up in the wheel.

As a side note... I just ordered and received a case saver for my 916 and I'm going to put it on this week.

1995 916
2003 ZX7R
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:42 am
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Does anybody know where to get a case saver for a 2006 SS1000? All of the ones I've found so far exclude it. I'm planning on regearing soon and I'm a little nervous about my chain riveting skills.
The one from DesmoTimes works on my 2003, and there's no differences between the 2003 and 2006 that I'm aware of, other than frame color.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode