New unofficial Ignitech Manual - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 171 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2013, 4:00 am

Ignitech

[email protected];

Web site is pretty good. It has a price list as well.
Just tellum what you're doing and go from there.
i have dealt with them for several years now and have found them great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 171 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Duke View Post
[email protected];

Web site is pretty good. It has a price list as well.
Just tellum what you're doing and go from there.
i have dealt with them for several years now and have found them great.
Thanks Rocky Duke.

Ignitech followed up my e mail on the same day. I'm ordering a unit from them this week.

David

1993 E900 Elefant
post #13 of 171 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2013, 9:40 am

Garage
Has anyone else experienced an Ignitech TCIP4 failure recently?

I remember the high failure rate right after these first came out, and how it took quite a bit of time before the problem was traced back to using non-resistor plugs, or mounting the box too close to the coils.

I've had an Ignitech in my Paso for maybe 3 years. (Electrically nearly identical to my '92 900ss) Probably only put 1,500 miles on it in that time. Always used resistor plugs. Box is mounted at least 3 feet away from the coils, in the tail storage area. Bike has developed a bad miss when it warms up, after 15-20 miles. Reinstalling a set of Kokusan BB1105 boxes confirmed it was the box.

I'm hoping this is a fluke, and that not all Ignitech boxes will fail, as I would like to get another but don't want to repeat this problem in 3 more years.

Does anyone know if there were any improvements made to the design since those early boxes?

99 996 - GMD Computrack, Ohlins rear, Spark exhaust, single-injector conversion, PCIII with custom map - 124bhp
98 748 - GMD Computrack, cartridge emulators front, Ohlins rear, Ferracci 50mm full exh, PCIII with custom map - 95bhp
92 900ss - 944 kit, Malossi 41's, ported heads, modded stock header, Ohlins rear, Ferracci slip-ons - 92bhp
88 Paso - Dellorto conversion, F1 slip-ons, Ignitech TCiP4 ignition, tires made of granite - dunno? Feels like 10 or so bhp...

post #14 of 171 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2013, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post

I remember the high failure rate right after these first came out, and how it took quite a bit of time before the problem was traced back to using non-resistor plugs, or mounting the box too close to the coils.

I've had an Ignitech in my Paso for maybe 3 years. (Electrically nearly identical to my '92 900ss) Probably only put 1,500 miles on it in that time. Always used resistor plugs. Box is mounted at least 3 feet away from the coils, in the tail storage area. Bike has developed a bad miss when it warms up, after 15-20 miles. Reinstalling a set of Kokusan BB1105 boxes confirmed it was the box.

I'm hoping this is a fluke, and that not all Ignitech boxes will fail, as I would like to get another but don't want to repeat this problem in 3 more years.

Does anyone know if there were any improvements made to the design since those early boxes?
Have you checked your pickups with a scope to make sure your miss is not being initiated by a bad pick up?

Have you contacted Ignitech with your fault systems. I got a miss in one of our units once and boot loading the firmware again solved the problem. Ignitech can give you the boot loading firmware to do this.

New units have advanced features and options. Not sure if they had a hardware upgrade but suspect so.

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:29 pm.
post #15 of 171 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2013, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

I have just updated the FastBikeGear unofficial Ignitech manual to cover the very latest release of software. The latest software now adds another dwell setting option.

The latest version of the manual is version 5.

If you want a free copy just email me [email protected] and I will email it back to you.

The FastBikeGear unofficial Ignitech manual is an improved English version of the IGNITECH factory manual. It has slightly better English, a lot more detail and explanation and it covers many of he new features added to the TCI-P4 units in recent years.
post #16 of 171 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 8:49 pm

Thanks a lot Liam for the manual...Nice job!!!

Giannis
post #17 of 171 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 3:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post

I have sold an installed quite a few of these and followed all the recommended guidelines ( as per location near coils and resistive HT side) and so far no warranty claims. I have had one unit corrupt BOTH it's firmware and .ign configuration file.. But I reloaded the firmware and then recreated the .ign file from scratch and it's been fine ever since.
post #18 of 171 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 4:03 am Thread Starter

I have noticed that the voltage supply input into the ignition modules (Kukosan or Ignitech) often drops below 12 volts and this effects the running of the bike. I had previously installed an old relay I found sitting in the workshop to power the ignition modules on our project bike, but it failed about a year later and the bike consequently stopped at a most in opportune time. (There was probably a reason this relay was sitting in the workshop...I should have used a new one!)

Shortly afterwards I installed the of the very clever Dutch Ultrabatt Lithium batteries in the bike the input voltage to the ignition increased marginally so I never bothered to getting around to replacing the faulty relay.

The ignition power supply on our bikes takes a convoluted journey through the ignition switch, kill switch, fuses, etc and consequently there is a reasonable voltage drop.

Today as an experiment I finally got around to installing a new relay to power the Ignitech in the project bike. Because relays eventually all fail I wired it in parallel with the existing ignition feed so if the relay fails the bike won't cut out at a dangerous moment!

Of course wiring it in parallel meant that it was self latching and when I turned off the key the bike kept running. Easy fix for this was a diode.

It will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in the way the bike runs when I get a chance to go for a test ride. If there is a noticeable improvement I will add the details to the free FastBikeGear version of the Ignitech manual.
post #19 of 171 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 5:35 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I had (and still have) an issue with corrupting the files; When I use my preferred laptop, a 10" Samsung notebook, running Windows 7, the ignitech software doesn't quite run right (and unless I load a ready-made file will always default to Honda VFR as the bike setting - leaving me unable to change it?) and when I load the settings to the Ignitech it runs really bad with loads of scatter.

If I use another laptop it's fine (even a 13 yr old Sony running Win Me) but with this original laptop setup the bike was popping & farting and only made 60hp, as soon as I used a different PC it runs smooth and makes 90hp.

Don't know why this laptop doesn't run it properly and it's a shame as I bought this laptop specifically for this type of work as it's easy to carry and not worth too much if it gets dropped.

I emailed Ignitech but they hadn't seen this problem before either.

The moral of this story is that some PCs seem to have problems with the Ignitech software...

916, M900 & Guzzi LeMans II
post #20 of 171 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 6:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDesmo View Post

Don't know why this laptop doesn't run it properly and it's a shame as I bought this laptop specifically for this type of work as it's easy to carry and not worth too much if it gets dropped.

I emailed Ignitech but they hadn't seen this problem before either.

The moral of this story is that some PCs seem to have problems with the Ignitech software...
Try opening and comparing the .ign files on each PC with a basic text editor and check they look identical. If your not sure hew to do this you can email them to me and I will check them for you.

Last edited by FastBikeGear; Aug 23rd, 2013 at 6:16 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode