Aftermarket Seat for 1998 900SS FE - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Aftermarket Seat for 1998 900SS FE

As i'm sure you are aware, those seats are not made for long journeys and i want to replace the stock piece of wood they make you sit on with something more comfortable....anyone have good experiences to share about corbin or another type of seat?

Has anyone actually gone and got themselves a custom seat made? I found a place where you can get them made for about $400...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:54 am

Corbin Seat

I bought a corbin seat for my FE, cannot describe how much more comfortable it is than the stock seat, I would recommend it. I rode the FE from Nashville to VIR & back, about 1500 miles, without any issues.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:40 am
woozer

Two thumbs way up for Corbin. It takes some getting used to just because the shape is so different, but your nether regions will never stop thanking you.

It also comes with some very clever fold-out cargo hooks, and a small plastic canister to put your registration and other small items into.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:00 am

Woozer, the Sargent seats have the hooks and storage tube for their standard 2-up seats. Don't know if they make a seat for the FE. Corbin doesn't have those features.

George

97 900sp
90 750 sport - sold
850 commando
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:14 am
jturco

Does the seat fit the same as stock, placement, attachments, etc.? I was in another chat room where people were saying good and bad about the Corbin as far as comfort. I have been looking for a new seat for me SS900.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturco
Does the seat fit the same as stock, placement, attachments, etc.? I was in another chat room where people were saying good and bad about the Corbin as far as comfort. I have been looking for a new seat for me SS900.
I recommend the corbin seat for the FE, it does take a little time to get used to because it is slightly wider on your arse but much more comfortable.

The seat bolted right on using stock holes, no drilling etc.

DirtyBrit, I'm from near Blackpool originally, moved to the states 20 years ago. Funny how we both ended up with an FE.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:37 pm
woozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc97sp1
Woozer, the Sargent seats have the hooks and storage tube for their standard 2-up seats. Don't know if they make a seat for the FE. Corbin doesn't have those features.
Ha ha a mind is a terrible thing to lose. I saw the little Italian flag and immediately saw Corbin and thought Sargent. Of course you are right and I am extremely happy with my SARGENT seat! Yeah, that's it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Talking

Same here. I tried a Corbin on a 900ss and really liked the way I sat 'in' the bike. Tried a Sargent and it didn't have the same feel, more like I was sitting 'on' the bike. I asked if they could make me a seat shaped like the Corbin. The weren't able to do it on their pan so I bought a used oem seat on e-bay, sent it to them and they re-did it the way I wanted. They thought the seat portion would be too thin but I convinced them that's the way I wanted it. Great customer service and a great seat. I couldn't get the hooks or the storage tube (too bad, it would be perfect for cigars ) but I've had it on the bike for 6 years and 22k miles and it looks like new.

George

97 900sp
90 750 sport - sold
850 commando
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

duc97sp1 - you have any pictures of the job they did? - i'd be really interested to see what they did.

I keep hearing the Corbin is a good seat, but i really not sure about the style of it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Premium

Garage
FOR MONOPOSTO SEATS: I think only Corbin makes a solo seat for the SL And FE models. You can get one from Sargeant but it will have to be custom made ('though they used to make the solo seats).

FOR BIPOSTO SEATS: The Sargeant is the way to go. Much lighter than the Corbin and it has the retractable hooks and storage compartment.

FWIW, I like the aftermarket seats only for Long Distance riding. Defintely great for that. But the aftermarket seats are lousy for hanging off and for trackdays. For that I revert back to the OEM solo seat or the OEM dual seat. YMMV.

Ride Safe,
Edward
'72 750GT
'98 900SS/FE
IBA #18798
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ue/edwyun/
(including the FE Registry)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode