new (to me) 900ss? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqDave View Post
In defense of the bike:

I don't compare the SS to something like my wife's Ninja. That Kawasaki is practical transportation. She doesn't want to do anything but add gas and oil (or, to be more precise, have me add oil). The SS is more of a cafe racer mentality. Something that's wild and temperamental. There's gotta be a tradeoff somewhere, and if the bike was a dog there would be no reason to mess with it. But there's something special about the SS. Kinda the looks, kinda the sound. Kinda the feel. It's like having a petite, adorable, oversexed Italian girlfriend from Bologna who is, to be sure, kind of a nut; but in a generally entertaining way. Sometimes she goes bonkers on you, but she's redirectable, and in the end the sex is good, and she doesn't expect you to spend a lot of money on her. Sure, she might crack up completely someday. But probably not today.
Love it.

I'm on my third engine. I've rebuilt the bike after a mate cartwheeled it in a gravel trap at Eastern Creek, then my output shaft failed and lunched the gearbox. The frame cracked! I then crashed it 2 weeks after it was all tip-top (rebuild no. 2), my regulator failed and the battery blew up spewing acid all over the place, then my bike had another issue with 1st and 2nd gears slowly failing so the engine gets pulled again, rebuild no. 3! Then my swing arm tried to eject itself when a circlip came of the end of the pivot. The last thing to happen was the oil pressure sensor failed, spewing oil on the rear tyre.

Sure there are bikes out there that could be less hassle but this bike is so alive. The combination of snorting flat-slides, hot cams and big bore exhaust sends a chill up my spine - even thinking about it.

I bought the bike new in '97 and before that I had a '95 model. I'm still in love with my bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati 900ss v3.0.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	168537  

900 Supersport 1997
Sydney, AU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 3:30 pm

[quote=Mallory;1874737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Btw I beat the living hell outta mine and fix things when they break which is almost never.

Girlfriend or bike?
eeeehhhh...sorry, bike only. I beat the bike only....shoulda been more careful there...thanks for pointing it out...

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2013, 1:44 pm

The frame cracking issue it typically due to wheelies and hard braking using the front brakes of course.

As for the ride I love mine. It's not the kind of bike you will just put into gear and go. It has a good amount of power but the gearing and lack of raw hp makes it so you actually have to ride the bike. If you shift too soon or too late you will miss the power band but when you get it right it will ride like no other! The age old saying is its better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. That applies 100% to this bike! BTW it's not all that slow.

'95 900 ss sp

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceracer27 View Post
Love it.

I'm on my third engine. I've rebuilt the bike after a mate cartwheeled it in a gravel trap at Eastern Creek, then my output shaft failed and lunched the gearbox. The frame cracked! I then crashed it 2 weeks after it was all tip-top (rebuild no. 2), my regulator failed and the battery blew up spewing acid all over the place, then my bike had another issue with 1st and 2nd gears slowly failing so the engine gets pulled again, rebuild no. 3! Then my swing arm tried to eject itself when a circlip came of the end of the pivot. The last thing to happen was the oil pressure sensor failed, spewing oil on the rear tyre.

Sure there are bikes out there that could be less hassle but this bike is so alive. The combination of snorting flat-slides, hot cams and big bore exhaust sends a chill up my spine - even thinking about it.

I bought the bike new in '97 and before that I had a '95 model. I'm still in love with my bike.
I really did love my '95 900SS, and am missing it terribly....... looking hard at replacements now....
Only problems I had was the headlight wiring melted the headlight bucket. This was on a trip and I was like 1000kms away from home. Blew a few fuses but she kept on going ( after a little bush mechanic work ) all the way home.
The headlight was replaced with a Honda CX650 item, fitted perfectly with some small mods, and was SOOOOOO much better to be able to see at night !!!!
At just under 30k she dropped an exhaust valve on the front cylinder, caused by a loose keyway on the camshaft sprocket. This allowed freeplay on the belt, it moved over and rubbed on the belt cover heated up stretched and jumped a tooth ( or two ) allowing the exhaust valve to kiss the piston head.
Lucky I was only cruising along at about 110kph or so on a nice open sweeping road. Earlier in the day were riding through the Snowy Mountains, easy though as she was a little sick but had nowhere to help/look/check. Locked up though and lunched the piston, head and barrel..... conrod and the crank etc was all fine.
This was on a trip again and almost 2000km from home but sent to Melbourne ( thanks Nova Ducati !!!! ) and she was fixed and rode home within 10 days. So we still got to the GP !!!!!
I replaced the carbys with flatslides, open airbox and dynoed/jetted to suit.
Custom high mount Stainless Exhaust by my mate from the local bike shop, Coil kit from Ca-Cycleworks, and a lithium ferrous battery from a little known Aussie Company Lithium Batteries Australia - Battery Cells
This made such a difference starting, and would only lose less than 10% charge sitting dormant for over 12 months !!!! Enough CCA to crank a 4x4 and all in the size of a coke can !!!!

anyway, I loved my fiery italian girlfriend and am looking for another to play with.......

Hope my ramble is easy enough to comprehend and digest.....

cheers
Darryl

'95 900 SS.
1998 - 2012
Gone but not forgotten
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Hey Darryl,

Bit of a late reply, but thanks for sharing your experience. I'm definitely going to look into your battery modification. Often think of the dark time when my battery blew up and spoiled so much brand new carbon fibre so this is one mod on the list.

Cheers,

Steven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I really did love my '95 900SS, and am missing it terribly....... looking hard at replacements now....
Only problems I had was the headlight wiring melted the headlight bucket. This was on a trip and I was like 1000kms away from home. Blew a few fuses but she kept on going ( after a little bush mechanic work ) all the way home.
The headlight was replaced with a Honda CX650 item, fitted perfectly with some small mods, and was SOOOOOO much better to be able to see at night !!!!
At just under 30k she dropped an exhaust valve on the front cylinder, caused by a loose keyway on the camshaft sprocket. This allowed freeplay on the belt, it moved over and rubbed on the belt cover heated up stretched and jumped a tooth ( or two ) allowing the exhaust valve to kiss the piston head.
Lucky I was only cruising along at about 110kph or so on a nice open sweeping road. Earlier in the day were riding through the Snowy Mountains, easy though as she was a little sick but had nowhere to help/look/check. Locked up though and lunched the piston, head and barrel..... conrod and the crank etc was all fine.
This was on a trip again and almost 2000km from home but sent to Melbourne ( thanks Nova Ducati !!!! ) and she was fixed and rode home within 10 days. So we still got to the GP !!!!!
Custom high mount Stainless Exhaust by my mate from the local bike shop, Coil kit from Ca-Cycleworks, and a lithium ferrous battery from a little known Aussie Company Lithium Batteries Australia - Battery Cells
This made such a difference starting, and would only lose less than 10% charge sitting dormant for over 12 months !!!! Enough CCA to crank a 4x4 and all in the size of a coke can !!!!

anyway, I loved my fiery italian girlfriend and am looking for another to play with.......

cheers
Darryl

900 Supersport 1997
Sydney, AU
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2014, 6:23 am

Maybe I'm just lucky

But other than wear and aging, I've had no issue with my 900ss that is other than normal to most any bike.

With modern gasoline, it does require adding some sea foam to the fuel, which has kept carbs moving forward. Frame cracks, mine not yet, but it's most likely right at the headset, and easily repaired. Many are proactive and put gussets in the appropriate place.

Yes, brake pads, tires, rubber bits, etc have been replaced as needed.

It's a 20 year old bike that I can ride and just not look at. Do I worry, never when I'm on the bike, having a great time.

And as Fernando Lamas (and Billy Crystal) says "looking marvelous"

Bob

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400, Trumpet Tiger 800

Last edited by Bob McCarthy; Jul 12th, 2014 at 3:11 pm.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
But other than wear and aging, I've had no issue with my 900ss that is other than normal to most any bike.

With modern gasoline, it does require adding some sea foam to the fuel, which has kept carbs moving forward. Frame cracks, mine not yet, but it's most likely right at the headset, and easily repaired. Many are proactive and put gussets in the appropriate place.

Yes, brake pads, tires, rubber bits, etc have been replaced as needed.

It's a 20 year old bike that I can ride and just not look at. Do I worry, never when I'm on the bike, having a great time.

And as Fernando Lamas (and Billy Crystal) says "looking marvelous"

Bob
learning to ride, all over, again, on a bike like this, is a sheer joy. I will fix all the years of neglect inflicted upon her by others. Promise
I look forward to reading the stories of others who have had years of experience with these bikes and who are eager to share their wisdom (and constructive criticism).
Fred (her name is Carmella)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Lucky I was only cruising along at about 110kph or so on a nice open sweeping road. Earlier in the day were riding through the Snowy Mountains, easy
though as she was a little sick but had nowhere to help/look/check. Locked up though and lunched the piston, head and barrel..... conrod and the crank etc was all fine.

cheers
Darryl
Hey there......
I was cleaning up all my old ' stuff ' and found some info I had completely forgotten...... I had broken head studs, and replaced them at just under 20k.
Were a bitch to get out, and had to be helicoiled...... My motorbike mechanic is a great friend of mine, but he was cursing the shit out of me with this job 😀
I still miss my SS terribly, and constantly visiting this forum does NOT help. I'm always looking at the for sale SS's, longingly......and lovingly 😍
One day she will be replaced, for sure.

Cheers
Darryl 😎
Hot Air likes this.

'95 900 SS.
1998 - 2012
Gone but not forgotten
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2015, 2:28 am

Here's my 2000 900ss ie (repainted)
new (to me) 900ss?-imageuploadedbymo-free1423556930.687795.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2015, 6:14 pm

Garage
Hi All

Just picked up my first Ducati - a 1996 900SS. It looks and sounds magnificent and has reignited my interest in motorcycles after a 20+ year break. My bike has been relatively well looked after, but as always with these things, there are always jobs to do to get the bike to one's preferences. The things that are nagging me now are:
  • Sidestand interferes with clean gear change operation
  • mirrors on fairing are useless
  • Rear brake caliper appears to be seized
  • Wiring from battery gets hot when starting motor (I know - replace the wiring with heavier gauge...
I've had a bit of a search online for parts suppliers and I'm sure there is a reference on this site, but if anyone (esp. in Oz) has a favourite supplier, I'd appreciate the link.

Looking forward to participating in the great forum and learning more about my bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ad pic 1.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	527930  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode