Repairing a rusty or leaking SS tank - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Thumbs up

Thanks I got it off. Kit just got here I'll post the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Is mine going to be difficult since it's on the far end and side, it's pretty much un-reachable since it's up the side wall where there is maybe an inch of clearence. Does thr POR15 just get poured in and seals the the welds all along the entire bottom of the tank?
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Brass air fittings

Doh!

Last edited by edwyun; Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:18 pm. Reason: [spam]

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Well I finally got around to doing my tank. Here are the before and after pics. POR 15 all the way:

Thanks for all the info on this site it worked really well. The headlamp piece of advice was great. I also decided to replace my faulty fuel level sensor and to those who don't know already they take a minute or two to react. This caused me loads of grief.
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:10 am

Hi guys,

After all this time with POR15 in your tanks, have you experienced any issues? Is there any need to re-seal the tank every "X" years?

One of the spot welds on my tank was cracked. I've repaired the tank on the outside (brazed it) and I'm thinking about using the POR15 kit, however, there is no sign of rust inside the tank (yet)...

Thanks

edit: I forgot to say that the guy who repaired my tank did a pressure test and there was no leak!

2005 red SS 1000ds

Last edited by ENGAKATS; Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:52 pm.
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
As per my external fuel filter post, I have had the tank repaired.

I "consulted" a welding mate who directed me to a restoration company (they do Rolls Royce renos amongst other fine cars) who have a lot of radiator experience.

We determined the leak was from a cracked spot weld on the hinge to tank union. I meticulously stripped paint around the hinge plate, then blew out all the crap and paint stripper with a steam pressure cleaner.

They then sweated solder all around so that it wicked into all crevices under the offending plate. Another advantage is that solder is lowe temperature than welding and will not buckle the tank nor stuff up the visible paint work.

I showed them the POR-15, which they know of and they advised that this would not be necessary after their fix, so i did not do it

It had a few internal spots of surface rust and they gave me a wet product to spray on to remove the rust with a non metallic kitchen pot scourer - looks like new now.

Cost Australian Dollars 340 - Rolls Royce price? Much cheaper than 3,400 or so for a new tank and it is undoubtably fixed "forever", unlike the original construction!
I'm wondering how well this has held up over a year later?

I'm a bit concerned about soldering since solder is a very light material and it seems to me that it wouldn't hold up very well at all.

Any updates?

I'm starting to have this issue now and am needing to get it fixed ASAP.

Jan

FOR SALE - 2002 900SS: Galfer Wave rotors + Carbon front fender + Ducati Performance levers & high mount carbon cans + Cycle Cat clip-ons & triple tree + Evoluzione Slave Cylinder + Motowheels Slipper Clutch + Power Commander w/ custom map + Air box mod & K&N + MBP Touring Wind Screen + Penske front fork rebuild
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2009, 1:55 pm

I had a radiator shop sandblast and solder my tank, here's the after photo:

He was going to seal the inside but decided that it wasn't needed. Not entirely sure I agree with him but we'll see I suppose. It's been on the bike for a couple days and so far no leaks. I should probably bring the tank to a body shop and have them at least spray primer on the bottom so it doesn't rust. He charged me $80 which seems pretty good
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2009, 7:16 am

Just finished using POR-15 on my monster tank.... Very happy with the results!

My tank I got off eBay for a new project only to find it was very rusty inside to the point I was thinking of getting another, but figured why not give this stuff a try. I cleaned tank twice, first time it produced nasty black gunk, rust/scale. Second time was much cleaner and seamed to get rid of the rest of the rust/scale. My only issue was with my tank, which does not have the removable inner filler neck making it almost impossible to see the inside of the tank. So with this kit I tended to overdue each step to ensure I cleaned, prepped and coated the entire inside.

Do to the amount of rust I had and overdoing each step it took pretty much all day to finish but I'm please to say this worked perfect, very happy with the results! Thanks for posting this as I would have never even thought of coating the tank before this.
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the info...I just went through the process and hopefully in 4 days will work... cheers
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm

2007 AND LEAKING??!!!! How can my 2007 ss800 have a leak in the tank after buying the bike just over two years ago new from the dealer? I have read most of the posts in this thread there are a lot of them, any problems with the fixes now that they have been used a couple of years? Any chance Ducati has stepped up and is replacing the tanks now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode