Project 1989 900SS Performance Rebuild - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 322 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2012, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I'm ditching the Kawasaki ZXR front end the bike came with when I bought it. It had bearing shells as spacers taking up the height difference between the Kawa head axle and Ducati stem. Frightening!

In anticipation I bought some 5 spoke Marchesinis which I decided to paint satin black. Which took me 1/2 a bloody day to sand and mask up. Pic is after sanding.

Muzza had decided he was going to put a Superbike front end in his 900SS so I bought his forks, triple trees and brakes. The forks have Gold Valves inside and have been reanodised Ohlins gold. Nice.

Going back to Ducati needs I need to replace my Kawasaki speedo (pictured) with a Ducati one. Because I'm using the later Marchesini wheel I need a later (ie Supersport) speedo. Anyone have one of these per chance? Heaps of mph ones on eBay for about US$100, no km/h ones. Muzza was very proud of the job he did sorting out the speedo gearing so the older forks with the new wheel will work with the speedo. (I made the carbon cover and my own tacho face a few years back.)

We also managed to find a set of genuine barely worn Brembo Cast Iron Rotors, (see pic) though had I just waited I could have bought these of my mate Liam from Fast Bike Gear. Ducati Brembo replica full floating cast iron discs [Rep-Brembo-49240081A] - NZ $599.00 : Fast Bike Gear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	111605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	111609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	111610  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 322 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwihame View Post
I'm ditching the Kawasaki ZXR front end the bike came with when I bought it. It had bearing shells as spacers taking up the height difference between the Kawa head axle and Ducati stem. Frightening!

In anticipation I bought some 5 spoke Marchesinis which I decided to paint satin black. Which took me 1/2 a bloody day to sand and mask up. Pic is after sanding.

Muzza had decided he was going to put a Superbike front end in his 900SS so I bought his forks, triple trees and brakes. The forks have Gold Valves inside and have been reanodised Ohlins gold. Nice.

Going back to Ducati needs I need to replace my Kawasaki speedo (pictured) with a Ducati one. Because I'm using the later Marchesini wheel I need a later (ie Supersport) speedo. Anyone have one of these per chance? Heaps of mph ones on eBay for about US$100, no km/h ones. Muzza was very proud of the job he did sorting out the speedo gearing so the older forks with the new wheel will work with the speedo. (I made the carbon cover and my own tacho face a few years back.)

We also managed to find a set of genuine barely worn Brembo Cast Iron Rotors, (see pic) though had I just waited I could have bought these of my mate Liam from Fast Bike Gear. Ducati Brembo replica full floating cast iron discs [Rep-Brembo-49240081A] - NZ $599.00 : Fast Bike Gear
I am loving this thread, and it is inspiring me as well ! Now looking for my project bike to park next to my project car wonder which will be finished first.....
Keep the info and pics coming.
Thanks,
Darryl
post #23 of 322 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I am loving this thread, and it is inspiring me as well!
Keep the info and pics coming.
Thanks,
Darryl
Thanks Darryl. Great to hear you're inspired. It's a lot of fun.

Attached, a pic of the more golder anodised forks I previously mentioned. And the machined 600SS flywheel. It's a road bike so I don't want it to be totally lacking in low down low oomph! Just need to bolt on the (Kokusan now) ignition pick-ups and button it up. Then it can go on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	111843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2514.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	111844  

post #24 of 322 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 4:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
Frame...

Ahhh the frame. Two weekends ago I did a bit of um 'prep' before thinking about sanding and painting.

I've bought a Shorai Battery from Motowheels and some K&N Pod Filters for my 41mm Split FCRs from Ca-Cycleworks. The filters are HUGE so, for both reasons, the steel battery box had to go...

Pic 1: Frame prepped for surgery. You can see my offset Le mans style headlights.
Pic 2: The horn is also somewhat oversized! Would like to swap that for a Nautilus, but that would fup the whole lightness ethos. The light grey things are the coils (being swapped out for some Dyna-minis.)
Pic 3: The offending battery box. Note where someone has previously welded some stainless steel brackets onto the frame for the oil cooler. On this model SS the cooler originally sat under the headlight. Also note the 'gusset' patches over the frame rails, to stop the Kawa forks dinging in the frame.
Pic 4 and 5: Too late now!
Pic 6: After. The cross shaped aluminium bracket is for a Kawasaki Regulator/Rectifier. (Come on, you gotta let me have just one Kawa part on it!) Note, needle roller bearings already, but they need replacing.
Pic 7: After a bit of help from the power-file, all smooth. You'd never know a battery box was there.

Question now was to paint the frame black again, or maybe red???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	111845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	111846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	111847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	111848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	111849  

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	111850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	111851  
post #25 of 322 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2012, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So with the motor and now everything else having been taken apart, the bike has now been down to its component pieces, which (for me at least) is an achievement, albeit unintended!

Pic 1: The wiring loom (obviously). What struck me is how many wires I will no longer be using or which will, in this upgraded itineration of the bike, be going to different places. No more Magnetti Marelli Digiplex Ignition for a start. (figured if this was rare, it might be worth putting on eBay)
Magneti Marelli digiplex 2S MED442A Electronic Ignition Ducati 900SS / Paso | eBay

Pic 2: I was thinking about replacing the plastic box and the alloy plate that the electrics sit on with another in better cond, (though realised there will be no need for it by the time I'm done). But when I saw a pic of a standard 1990 900SS (Pic 2), everything was in a different place!

The plastic box in mine is different. The alloy 'plate' with all the electric components: Digiplex ignition, fuses, starter solenoid, etc sits in the very back. My frame is waaaay different. Now I knew one of the previous owners had modified the frame. But to the extent that all the wiring would have had to have been extended so the electrics are at the back? WTF??

Really I can't imagine anyone going to that much trouble but given the changes made to the frame, may-be? Then again, maybe Ducati moved the electrics gradually forward, until with the '91-on bikes (what most of you have) when they went: "Eh Mario, shouldnt we have all the electrica closa together??" Doh!

Pic 3: Compare the standard frame (red) to mine, which I've started sanding down. Different eh? Odd.

Pic 4: Just talking about those long wires... this 'sportsfans' is the starter solenoid wiring. "It was HOW long?" And I wonder why the damn bike is forever blowing starter solenoids. My mates have all got sick of me and my ever present tool kit, doing roadside fixes, but my biggest bugbear by far has been electrics.

Last time I went out on this bike (with my best mate who is a Triumph 675 Daytona riding lawyer with no mechanical aptitude) of course, at the first gas station we came to, the starter solenoid went pop. He was very unamused; another ride ruined by my unreliable Ducati. "Dont worry, I said, I can fix this" and started walking the bike away. "Where are you going?" I pulled out my screwdriver, whipped the tail off, pulled out my wallet, stuck the screwdriver in it and held it across the solenoid terminals until the bike started. Was almost worth it for the look on his face as the sparks flew and, for all intents and purposes, I electrocuted myself.
Answer: A safe distance from the pumps.

Anyway, enough is enough. Have also bought a Motolectric wire kit, so (fingers crossed) all issues should be solved and electrics 'sweet-as'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	111969   Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 parts chch 003.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	111970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of frame.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	111975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	111976  

Last edited by Kiwihame; Jun 8th, 2012 at 6:32 pm.
post #26 of 322 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
First, sorry for taking so long to get back to this. Lots of other stuff going on. e.g.

I was super keen to get the bike finished to take it to the New Zealand National Ducati Rally (Pic 1) (hoping I might win a trophy for Best Modified?) but it soon became pretty evident that getting it finished wasnít going to happen, so I took my very tidy but relatively standard 15,000km 1994 900SS. And won the trophy for best Supersport! Go figure!! (Pic 3 is me getting said trophy from Ducati guru and Author Ian Falloon, having a laugh cos 1) I dont I know my own numberplate ("Does anyone own this bike?" ) or 2) I couldnt believe I'd actually won something for it.

Also on show was a nice Supersport engined 999 (Pic 4), which is the next Ducati 'Special' Iím planning. They didn't have a trophy for Best Modified.

Riding the standard Supersport highlights the difference between this and the modifed bike, even in its old, (pre this rebuild) form. The standard bike is like a soft pudding to ride, comfy and sweet; a really great all rounder. Also interesting how it lacks turn in with the too high a profile front tyre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	534819_10150938768634572_621234571_12873089_2101067481_n.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	114124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	114125   Click image for larger version

Name:	561174_10150938850264572_621234571_12873205_622703369_n.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	114126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	114127  
post #27 of 322 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Back to the thread...

Okay, so with everything stripped of the frame, I could get a good look at it.

The '89-90 frame from the "Nuova 900ss" is very different to the that on the 91-98 bikes that most of you own. It (and the swingarm) was made by Verlicchi, has a different steering head angle, the cross tubes on the trellis frame are quite different. That's definitely a reason for keeping it.

Mine has also been 'modified'. In New Zealand this is now a big 'no no' but itís got a VIN plate so letís stick with that. Pic 3 FYI is an original '90 frame, with a MHR frame, for scale.

Firstly, I note my frame has steel patches welded to the front tubes on either side of the steering head. (Pic 4) More likely to prevent the Kawasaki ZXR USD forks that it came with from denting the frame, rather than bracing for crack protection.

Given the ZXR forks, I suspect this bike may have started life as a race-bike. These early Supersports had RWU forks and Iím told it wasnít uncommon for racers to swap them for Kawa ZXR400 ones.

The rest of the frame is a bit more of a mystery.
- The middle has been cut and shut.
- The tank mount has been modified.
- The frame mount seems like itís been fabricated.
- There's a weird sticky up seat mount thing, which the carbon fibre covered foam seat base attaches to.
- The footpeg hangers on this model were steel loops, now gone.
- The curved bits at the rear (Pic 5) seem a very strange and expensive solution to spacing muffler hangers when alloy ones would have been far easier to make.

Someone has clearly gone to a lot of trouble. Hmmmmm.

Anyway, all sanded back now and ready for paint.(?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	114138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	114139   Click image for larger version

Name:	90 frame vs MHR frame.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	114140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2526.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	114141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	114142  

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	114143  
post #28 of 322 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Next we wanted to have a quick look at everything, just from a packaging perspective. i.e.:

- How do the carbs and filters fit? (and are all the screws within reach when I tighten it all up)
- Where will the battery go?
- What are we going to do re mounting the oil cooler? The silver thing holding it in the mounts is the old gear linkage rod. (Not only are us Kiwis famous for our #8 wire mentality we're also into our recycling.)
- Where are we going to put the Ignitech and coils?

Wow! It actually looks like a motorbike, sort of...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	114144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	114145  
post #29 of 322 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 2:41 am Thread Starter

Garage
The bottleneck!

Because Iím now using a Shorai Battery, we need to find somewhere to put it! Prior packaging would suggest (the battery on the '89 sat directly behind the steering head remember) that there should still be enough room, even with the (once upon a time installed) airbox, or the (now installed) monstrous K&N filters. And there is! Choice!

With the intention of making a battery box out of aluminium I made a cardboard template. (Pics 1 and 2) Well pleased with myself, I remarked to Murray, Look Muzza, a battery box! What do you think?" In his typically laconic style he replies "It'll be alright... until it rains...."

The other thing we need is somewhere to put the Ignitek programmable ignition module and the coils. Re the coils, I was lucky enough to purchase some near new Dyna Minis. The most logical location for the coils is away from the Ignitek and in the airstream, not least because 3Ohm Coils run quite hot. There is a bracket on the front lower frame rail from which a crude stay used to secure the fairing. Add another and itíd be a perfect. (Another welding job for Muzza.)
I notice this is where Bimota mount the coils on their latest bikes.

As for the Ignitek, cue another cardboard template. (Pic 3) =) This will be made into a plate which will sit between and above the cylinder heads. On one there will be a tab to which the starter solenoid will mount, on the other side the ignition barrel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	114171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2562.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	114172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	114173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	114213  

Last edited by Kiwihame; Jul 14th, 2012 at 1:20 pm.
post #30 of 322 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 3:21 am Thread Starter

Garage
Nek Minute

Like i said, other stuff gets in the way...

It's been 20 years since I was involved in racing (for Britten) and then I never raced 'the' bike, but Muzza, bless him, is on the BEARS committee and so, the next day, I had the opportunity to rent and race his BEARS Bike. (Pic 1, - I said these were my training wheels on Facebook - (and many a true word said in jest!)

Iím sure you all know that BEARS stands for (B)ritish (E)uropean (A)merican (R)acing (S)eries). Muzza has a couple of bikes for those who think they might want to go racing. So I grabbed one. A bloody good day all round, I didn't entirely disgrace myself, and yes, Iíve been bitten by the bug. Itís nice to be able to ride flat out without fear of falling foul of the law or our earthquake ravaged roads. (Pics 3 and 4 are my good self.)

In the meantime... the courier has been dropping more parts at my door. This is as close as I get to Christmas (I know I sound like a sad old prick, but I mean that in a good way!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2573.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	114174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	114175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	114176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamish @ BEARS.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	114177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode