LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2011, 3:55 pm

hey there,any updates about your bike.
and off course some new pic's

henk!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2011, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

nothing much new. The bike is over an hour away from me and i only get 4 days off a month but this weekend is another big push which will see the rear subframe with intergrated catch can complete and the front fairing stay and fuel tank vent catch can complete. Here is a little clip of first start up....its only on 1 as the front plug lead had popped out from the coil but its certainly pretty angry on 1 cylinder

post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2011, 5:42 pm

post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2011, 3:25 am

I sure love my starter button

That bike looks so sweet! I wish I head some speakers on my computer here so I could here the noise of that thing.

Ducati 900SL MK I n 92 | Ducati 900SS '94 Trackbike
post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2011, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME3 View Post
I sure love my starter button

That bike looks so sweet! I wish I head some speakers on my computer here so I could here the noise of that thing.
starter cost me $330 all up. $180 for the chinese copy honda motor and $150 for the pillar blocks, bearings, pulleys and left over alloy tube lengths from the frame to put it together...im taking orders for xmas....

Mostly fabrication be going on but here are my rearset brackets that pick up the exhaust as well. Didn't want a stay, to clean up the ass end. The smaller tank in the fuel breather catch can to vent the tank for gravity feed and the bigger catch can with the proflow filter is my rear crankcase breather which will be a intergrated subframe/breather and the carbon seat will cover it all.

more photo's hopefully after the weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	94610   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearset1.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	94611   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelbreather.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	94612   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearcan.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	94613   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat2.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	94614  

post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 1:48 am

have to ask

congrats on your build it looks fabulous but I have to ask.

Why didn't you use a 1000 DS engine ?
Can you tell me something about your split carb setup ?
Planning to do the same thing with my DB2 and trying to find as much information as possible.
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 3:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatak View Post
congrats on your build it looks fabulous but I have to ask.

Why didn't you use a 1000 DS engine ?
Can you tell me something about your split carb setup ?
Planning to do the same thing with my DB2 and trying to find as much information as possible.
The DS engine seems like the obvious choice, horse power wise.
But imo the 900 engine is much more of a pleasure to ride. The DS engine is too smooth

I thought about the split setup aswell on my track bike, but due to sound restrictions on most tracks over here it's not gonna happen

Ducati 900SL MK I n 92 | Ducati 900SS '94 Trackbike
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 5:01 am Thread Starter

The reason for using this engine as i already had it. The engine was built by ferracci in 93 for a guy in new zealand who raced in the bears series which sat in a home baked carbon mono frame. I have the paper clippings so it has a bit of history behind it. I was told he threw 20k at it for eraldo to do the entire engine and its good for 100 at the rear wheel which is a DSmotor anyways but lighter. It came 2nd in the series that year beating a ducati supermono ridden by robert holden but clobbered senseless by the britten.

The idea behind the bike is ultra lite weight, no electronics, injection, total loss ignition.... all the unnecessary crap that goes along for the ride on a 12 lap race so in the photo's at the mo its 109kg so far. I reckon 115kg on the startline in dec for its first race.

I bought a second hand fcr from ebay off a dirtbike and cut my banked pair in 2 and then used the linkage from the second hand one to get it working....I tapped -4 an fittings into the carb and run braided line from the tank. easy as.

I cut the long manifold to suit the angle of the carb that i wanted then tiged the billet stub from the carb directly to the manifold then ported it to take the step out. The action is twin pull only. don't bother about push/pull, already tested it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake1.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	946.1 KB
ID:	94664   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	756.2 KB
ID:	94665  
post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 5:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadden View Post
I cut the long manifold to suit the angle of the carb that i wanted then tiged the billet stub from the carb directly to the manifold then ported it to take the step out. The action is twin pull only. don't bother about push/pull, already tested it.
thx for the explanation. If you already had the engine of course it makes more sense to go with the 900 SS engine.I also understand the weight saving obsession.

what is wrong with twin push/pull ?
My plan is to look for a 41 from a dirtbike with TPS to go with the IP4 ignition (I know against your electronics policy) and then a normal 41 as a second carb.
Are both carbs downdrafts ?
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 5:54 am Thread Starter

yes both are down draft as were a banked pair from ca-cycleworks. The tps is a good idea and brad black wanted me to do it but that is down the track. The nah sayers will say that the action will need to be push/pull as on over run the vacuum generated will hold the slide open so the push cable will close this regardless but don't worry twin pull will do. Ive got a twin pull domino throttle...you will have trouble with the fuel feed into the old slave carb fuel bowl, this is why i tapped this hole and ran -an fittings,(also to match the whole bike) but you could certainly branch out from the tank with a push on barb Y fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode