Finally, 2006 800SS (needs love) Dial-up Beware - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Finally, 2006 800SS (needs love) Dial-up Beware

Long story but finally got it home. Clearly it needs some love and I am working on it. Also needs some black and red keys, sent away for that today. So I took it apart to see what else I needed. Oh, as I was taking it all apart I noticed that the rear light had some rewireing done so I took it apart to find a nice aftermarket LED set up. Hooked up some jumper cables to the battery and tested them out, turns, brakes and running lights in LED! Cool find and saved me from buying that myself. Now I have to order a plastics bolt set (some of my bolts are missing), turn signals, mirrors with LED signals, tires, head light houseing (or lens if I can find one) and a few other jobbies like a rubber stopper that touches the fairing and one of the bolt shaft looking jobbies (pictured twice) the one is very loose and will not tighten (might have the shop spot weld it). Will update as I have updates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:15 am Thread Starter

pics continued.

post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Sweet, good luck on your build. Is the white stripe painted on or is it vinyl? Are you going to end up opening the clutch cover?

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Sweet, good luck on your build. Is the white stripe painted on or is it vinyl? Are you going to end up opening the clutch cover?
Its painted as is the tire man. Well its a graphic thats been cleared over. As far as the clutch cover do you mean opening it up to check it out?
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Ah, I just realized that you don't have a dry clutch on the 800SS. I was wondering if you're going to run an open clutch cover to get more of that bucket of bolts sound to your clutch. I just bought a 900SS that came with an open clutch cover but I'm considering swapping it out to a closed cover to eliminate the sound.

Well, I like the white. It is nice. What other mods do you have planned? Exhaust?
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I like the white. It is nice. What other mods do you have planned? Exhaust?
Glad you asked. I want to open up the air box a bit so going to research cutting this up to allow better airflow and drop in a K&N filter. Then its on to the stock exhaust which I am going to drill out the rivets in the back slide the internals out and cut out some of the un-nessisary plumbing to open it up. After that just going to let it ride until I can gather the coin for a power commander and tune. Down the road is going to call for a paint job. I dont really have anything planned beyond that. Money is tight right now and its going to be a struggle just to get this back on the road. About 1,000 in repairs and parts that I can figure so far.
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:08 pm

You know what? That's all the mods I would really need for myself too. I just want the sound, really. Otherwise, I find that the bike performs just fine. I wish I had a place to work on my bike with tools; I'd have opened up my exhaust too. But I live in an apartment building with no real place to take apart my bike.
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Excel Addict

Clutch

Quote:
Are you going to end up opening the clutch cover?
I wouldn't - it is a wet clutch !!

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
I wouldn't - it is a wet clutch !!
I see now you spotted that.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 9:01 pm
Excel Addict

Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Glad you asked. I want to open up the air box a bit so going to research cutting this up to allow better airflow and drop in a K&N filter. Then its on to the stock exhaust which I am going to drill out the rivets in the back slide the internals out and cut out some of the un-nessisary plumbing to open it up. After that just going to let it ride until I can gather the coin for a power commander and tune. Down the road is going to call for a paint job. I dont really have anything planned beyond that. Money is tight right now and its going to be a struggle just to get this back on the road. About 1,000 in repairs and parts that I can figure so far.
Open airbox - see the attachment. With chalk or a pencil mark where the tank sits over the airbox first, so you don't cut too much at the front.

Stock exhaust - careful, you might end up with less back pressure.

Both the above or airbox and exhaust can change will make you run lean. There are alternatives to PC, such as Tuneboy, which gives you full control. Also Dobeck as a simpler piggyback device.

What is wrong with the headlight?

Those turn signals are readily available in the US and on eBay. Personal thing, but I don't like them much.

Looks like it is basically sound though, so time to have fun in the garage and on the road.

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airbox cutting.pdf (125.4 KB, 95 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode