96 900ss/cr - upgrade from 4.5 to 5.5 rear rim - Page 5 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 6:15 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSmoot23 View Post
I very much doubt that even with stock tires, your speedometer is 100% accurate the day it left the factory. It is just not designed to be that precise....

Who cares if their speedometer/ odometer is 100 per cent accurate?

Fred
I know with BMW motorcycles -the spec on the speedo is that it can read high 10% + 3.5 MPH, now if it read's slow-they would replace it if it was off at all.

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I read recently ( on this forum) that Ducati speedometers were designed to read 10 mph fast. I donít remember reading a reason for why someone would have purposely designed the speedometer to not be accurate, therefore Iím not so sure I believe it. Nevertheless, both of my Ducatiís, Ď96 and Ď07, are 10 mph fast.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:58 am

... with everything I've read about this topic, I reckon sticking with the 4.5" width wheel and a 160mm tire is probably the most effective combination. These 900cc bikes really don't produce enough torque to be able to take full advantage of a 5.5" wheel and a 180mm tire. With the wider wheel/tire you've increased unsprung weight and rotational weight ... and from my point of view the "meaner looks" of the 5.5/180 are not worth the reduction in performance. Most especially, it takes away some of the advantages these 900cc bikes possess in technical sections of road/track. In fact, against rice grinders the agility of these motorcycles is lost with the wider wheel/tire ensemble. The technical portions are about the only place these bikes can make any time on the Jap bikes. That said, why oh why would one wish to take away the bikes' "swordarm" ... sacrificing their agility for what could be called "plastic values".

What less experienced bench racers mocking anything that is not a Jap sport bike would see as "skinny little tires" on these 900s (making fun of the little tires/wheels as they bench race from their judgemental perch high upon their ignorant mountaintops) while more experienced/seasoned riders know that the more narrow wheel/tire/trellis frame/stressed member engine ensemble is actually the bike's secret weapon. At real life street speeds (no more than 75mph in most curvy public road situations) the 4.5/160 combo is actually an advantage over the squid's 180 or 200mm tire on his almighty 600 sportbike that doesn't even got on the pipe until he hits 110mph.

The Harley Sportster is a lot like this ... 0-to-75 mph times that SA-MOKE even 1 litre sportbikes.

I'll take the 4.5/160 combo, and let them laugh at my "little tired" toad bike ... until I get so far ahead of the clowns in tight turning situations that they can't even see my tail light anymore.

Acceleration ... Agility ... Less Effort ... all gifts of the 4.5/160. Let's not forget better suspension performance due to less unsprung weight which aids in keeping the rear tire attached to the asphalt .. which increases cornering performance just that much more ... even moreso than installing an aluminum swingarm since the wheel/tire is attached to the very end of an arcing moment. The weight savings of the aluminum swingarm is nearly only a static weight reduction (aka "sprung weight") due to it's minimal weight at the end of that moment of inertia.

There is only once choice.

ZADSS likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode