Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Bi-xenon HID projector retrofit for 900SSie

32K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  Goldwing_WannaB 
#1 · (Edited)
The carby SS guys get harrassed for their square headlights all the time, but the one thing that I don't like about my 2001 900SSie is the headlight (big, heavy, ugly, and not very modern looking). I was previously using an aftermarket HID bulb/ballast kit (with H4 re-based bulb) with the original headlight. Besides the typical problems with using an HID bulb in a headlight that was designed for a halogen bulb, it didn't improve the look of the bike. I love the look of an SSie with race fairings (no headlight), so I decided to retrofit a single bi-xenon HID specific projector headlight and use a race upper fairing from AirTech and custom fit it to the single headlight.

The bi-xenon HID projector headlight retrofit kit is from The Retrofit Source. This is a true aftermarket projector headlight that is purpose built for retrofitting and made specifically for an OEM-type D2S HID bulb with bi-xenon capablility (low and high beam). The "FX-R" projector is modeled after OEM Infiniti FX-45 projectors, but the external shape and four mounting points are more retrofit friendly. The low and high beam visibility from this projector is excellent and the low beam cutoff has an awesome color band that creates that sought after color-flicker when seen from a distance. The kit also comes with an H4 motorcycle relay harness that is virtually plug-n-play and is the perfect length for a direct connection to the battery on the Ducati 900SSie. The complete projector retrofit kit is priced at $150 with shipping.

The kit includes a new aftermarket bi-xenon HID projector, 35w D2S ballast, 35w D2S 5000K bulb, and an H4 motorcycle relay harness.

The relay harness is grounded to the frame near the factory wiring harness main connector.

The relay harness in-line fuse resides next to the factory fuses.

The relay harness is connected directly to the battery.

The ballast is mounted in the empty void of the original headlight utilizing an existing headlight bolt.

Custom mounting brackets for the projector headlight are fabricated from 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

The mounting brackets are attached to the projector headlight.

See less See more
#45 ·
I have a 94 that I have heavily modified and would love to get a new light since I ride at night and the OEM light are not that good. But i wonder how I could make up for all the space since the 94 has such a large square light?

#47 · (Edited)
I waited a while longer to take the fairing to the painter because i wanted to make damn sure that everything fit properly, so i rode the thing around for a couple of weeks with the upper fairing still in white gel-coat. I ended up having to cut the headlight hole open a little bigger because my headlight-to-fairing gasket was putting to much pressure against the fairing, so with the larger opening the gasket does not actually touch the fairing but still creates a nice transition from the gloss black paint to the glass lens of the headlight. I was also waiting on a new smoked windscreen to arrive to make sure everything fit with that as well.

I finally got the new upper fairing back from the body shop today, and their work turned out excellent. I got everything put back together tonight and took a few quick teaser pics. I plan to take more out in the daylight, but i wanted to share these for now (EDIT: updated these two with daylight pics)...

#53 ·
Is there a part number on the Retrofit Source website for your kit or do you need to call and piece it together?
There isn't a motorcycle specific kit with selectable options on their website, so I just called them and had them put together a kit for me with my specs. They still gave me a bundle discount too, so it was only $150 for the custom kit.

#56 ·
Couple of questions

Heh Chuck
firstly great job you've done here, and fantastic work on the pics and post.

I have a couple of questions
I'm assuming there wouldn't be space to leave in the existing headlight glass but project the HID lamp through it?
And do you reckon you'd get two in next to each other? Your fixing of the ballast and the fairly large mounting plates make me think it may be possible to fit two in and take up more of the space left by the OEM light unit.
My preference would be either leave the old glass or have twin lights.

cheers

Rob

#57 ·
I have a couple of questions
I'm assuming there wouldn't be space to leave in the existing headlight glass but project the HID lamp through it?
And do you reckon you'd get two in next to each other? Your fixing of the ballast and the fairly large mounting plates make me think it may be possible to fit two in and take up more of the space left by the OEM light unit.
My preference would be either leave the old glass or have twin lights.
I think there is enough room in the original headlight to mount the projector partially inside it (obviously would be a creative custom modification). I had given this some thought and kept it as an option if my original plan did not work out, but my goal was to eliminate the original headlight since i did not like its overall appearance.

I also think that there is enough room in the empty space that is occupied by the original headlight to do a twin side-by-side projector setup. The only challange would be mounting the two ballast units somewhere inside the upper fairing area as the connection from the ballast to the projector isn't very long.

Lovely work as always - if you felt so inclined, you could probably make up those as a kit with the top fairing and sell them! (Hell, I'd probably buy one....)
I would have to charge so much to make it worth my time and effort that the price would not be appealing to anyone. :)

Thank you for all the compliments! It is much appreciated! :D

#58 ·
That came out really nice, Chuck. I was a bit skeptical on the single round heatlight but looks great with the painted fairing.

Curious... when you were talking with TRS do they have any smaller projectors than the one you used? I've been toying around with a similar project but will probably go the 2-light stacked route (a la 999).

#59 ·
Curious... when you were talking with TRS do they have any smaller projectors than the one you used? I've been toying around with a similar project but will probably go the 2-light stacked route (a la 999).
They do have smaller non-bi-xenon projectors that could be used separately for hi and low beams.

#62 ·
I sent TRS a link to this write-up, so they may have decided to put together a kit, which is great!

I have an update on the rubber fairing gasket that i put on my website, but i didn't think to post here...

The beam focus of the projector was burning the lower portion of the rubber fairing gasket, so i made a new one from brushed aluminum sheet. In my opinion, it actually looks better than just the rubber gasket.

#65 ·
OMG. That's looks FREAKING awesome!!! I have to tell you it kinda touches me in my "special" places!!!
Well done!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.