Bi-xenon HID projector retrofit for 900SSie - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

I finally got the stock lower fairings and the windscreen fitted to the new fiberglass upper fairing. AirTech makes a quality product, but it still took a lot of effort to get everything to line up and fit properly. I think the hardest part of this whole retrofit project was drilling the holes for the windsceen and ensuring that it was positioned properly. Even with the amount of trimming, sanding, and filing that i did, everything still doesn't line up or fit "perfect", but for $130 USD i guess i can't complain. I'll be bringing the upper fairing to the body shop this week to have it painted gloss black. I'll post pics when i get it back and put everything back together.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

1995 BMW M3 | 2003 BMW 330i ZHP | 2006 Cadillac Escalade
2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 12:04 am

Thanks for posting all the details. Looks slick and modern too - folks would have a hard time guessing the year of that bike.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 2:56 am

How good does that look! This is definitely going onto my to-do list.
Just out of interest why go whole hog with a new top fairing- why not loo to plastic weld/ otherwise fill the gap in the original?

2003 1000ss- cored cans, DP footpegs, CRG levers, seat cover, Oberon Bar end signals
2004 Monster 800 sold
2001 900ss- sold

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwirider View Post
Just out of interest why go whole hog with a new top fairing- why not loo to plastic weld/ otherwise fill the gap in the original?
I wanted to keep the original upper fairing intact in case the project didn't work out, and to easily return it to the stock setup for whatever reason if necessary.

I rarely ride at night, but i've been specifically riding after dark over the last few days just so i can enjoy the incredible light output. It really is amazing.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 7:57 pm

Headlight mod...

Congrats Chuck!!! Man!!! can't wait to see the whole bike in black!!! Please, post pics as soon as you can once you paint the front fairing!!! I can't wait to see it all black!!! Once again, congrats Chuck!! Excellent mod and documentation!!

Best Regards,

Vickon

89 Katana Red-Sold
89 GSXR 750 White/Blue/Red-Sold
90 Katana Red-Sold
92 Ninja Black-Sold
92 907ie Red-Sold
06 Harley Black-Sold
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 8:34 pm

I'd like to add my "well done" to the others that you have received. Thanks for sharing a really good project with the rest of us.

Kurt

Ducati 800SS
Moto Series Novice #5
Cogent Dynamics
Bridgestone
Silkolene

"Live truth instead of professing it."--Elbert Hubbard
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazeauRacing View Post

I like these two pics. I see what you mean about the low profile of the lens. It looks great! I'm inspired to give my carby a nose job, a la Diopa or similar.

Nice job and I'm looking forward to pics of all black!

E
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 6:39 am

counter weight

Hello,

This maybe a stupid question but what is the use of the counter weight ?
I can understand that you want a counter weight when you mount the light off center but since you mounted the light in the middle of your fairing do you still need it ?

probably I am missing something simple here.

EDIT
Sorry forgot to say that I really like what you done with the bike and I am thinking about maybe do the same thing on my DB2.
could you tell me how much the whole light install weights ? (relay and projector and fuse box and counter weight )
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatak View Post
Hello,

This maybe a stupid question but what is the use of the counter weight ?
I can understand that you want a counter weight when you mount the light off center but since you mounted the light in the middle of your fairing do you still need it ?

could you tell me how much the whole light install weights ? (relay and projector and fuse box and counter weight )
Are you refering to the ballast as the counter weight? The ballast is the required power source for the HID bulb and is included with the kit.

I planned on weighting everything before installing it for comparison, but i was so concerned about takings photos that i forgot.

Thank you to everyone for all the positive comments! I'm excited to get it painted and reinstalled, and i will definitely post photos of the finished product here as soon as i can.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 7:45 am

yes I was talking about the ballast. After looking at the pictures I see that there are electrical leads coming out of it so that explains it.

Please post a picture after you finished painting everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazeauRacing View Post
Are you refering to the ballast as the counter weight? The ballast is the required power source for the HID bulb and is included with the kit.

I planned on weighting everything before installing it for comparison, but i was so concerned about takings photos that i forgot.

Thank you to everyone for all the positive comments! I'm excited to get it painted and reinstalled, and i will definitely post photos of the finished product here as soon as i can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode