Bi-xenon HID projector retrofit for 900SSie - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Looks like Chuck could easily use varied washer thicknesses at any of his 4 mounting points, to adjust aim. Should be no worries for his setup. Looks good, and a great write up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:25 pm

I am interested in this...

Can I make it work on either the Monster or the Multi 1200 or both?

I'm more interested in daytime visibility. Night-time use is rare for me, but is nice to have.

2010 1200 Multistrada S Touring Black
2008 Termi S4R

Upgraded to S4Rs following wreck
BST wheels
++
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazeauRacing View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here... do you mean that it will be difficult to cut the hole in the fairing, or that it won't look good appearance-wise because of shape of the fairing?

I realize that a single round headlight in the middle won't appeal to everyone, but i personally don't like the look of the factory headlight. I tried several placement options using photoshop (twin side-by-side, single offset to one side or the other, etc.) and the single light in the middle appealed to me the most. I'd love to run without a headlight at all for the sake of appearance, but that's obviously not legal.
It's really just a matter of opinion as far as aesthetics go. My concern would be the distance between the body work and the lens and if the body would block any light.

For the record I dig it and I'm not ashamed to say the 999 with it's small projectors is one of my favourite models.

However I do have a question Chuck- now when you refer to the "kit", does this only include the harness, ballast, & H4 adapter? I didn't see a complete kit with all the bits in your picture.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrduc View Post
Looks like Chuck could easily use varied washer thicknesses at any of his 4 mounting points, to adjust aim. Should be no worries for his setup. Looks good, and a great write up.
This is exactly what i had to do after riding it for an extended amount of time last night. I used 2mm worth of washers on each of the bottom mounts to raise the beam up slightly to adjust for my weight on the bike while going down the road. It's a little more trial and error than the factory adjustment screws, but once you've got it set then it's not a problem.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

1995 BMW M3 | 2003 BMW 330i ZHP | 2006 Cadillac Escalade
2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFury View Post
My concern would be the distance between the body work and the lens and if the body would block any light.
I have all the details worked out in my head and i don't believe the bodywork will obsruct the light at all, however i'll have to wait until the new upper fairing arrives to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFury View Post
However I do have a question Chuck- now when you refer to the "kit", does this only include the harness, ballast, & H4 adapter? I didn't see a complete kit with all the bits in your picture.
Unfortunately, they don't have an advertised motorcycle "kit" on their website for ordering online. I called them to ask if they sold all the necessary items individually instead of in pairs (for cars), and they put together a motorcycle kit for me with the components i desired with a bundled discount.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

2008 Ducati 1098 | 2002 Ducati 748s | 2001 Ducati 900SSie | 2008 Honda CBR600RR | 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I am interested in this...

Can I make it work on either the Monster or the Multi 1200 or both?

I'm more interested in daytime visibility. Night-time use is rare for me, but is nice to have.
The projector that i purchased is a raw casting and in my opinion isn't really nice looking enough for an exposed installation on a Monster unless you plan to either use the original headlight housing or fabricate a new custom housing. Anything is possible though. TRS also sells smaller non bi-xenon projectors that may work better in other custom installations.

Chuck Brazeau
www.BrazeauRacing.com

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Thanks, I'm waiting in great anticipation to see how this turns out. Tax time is right around the bend and light output is something that interests me greatly!
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 1:47 pm

For the gents that want to use separate hi-lo beams, look at amazon.com and search for "90mm hella".

I put these lights in my ST2, and now my ST4s. Huge improvement over the stock headlight.

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your solution with the rest of us. Your work has provided me with an excellent solution to my own needs:

I have an 800SS that I use primarily as a track bike. I have a Triumph Sprint RS as my road bike. On occasion, I need a second road bike when my brother comes to visit from across the country and we want to ride. I have a set of track fairings on the bike, but I am planning on purchasing an Airtech one-piece half fairing for the road. I have a race fairing stay, rather than the stock one, and I plan on fabbing bracketry to mount your light set up to and belowthe cross member of the stay. Should be an easy job. I'll buy a set of aftermarket mirrors with turn signals built in, and I should be good to go.

Aesthetic? Meh. Functional and easy to switch between track and street? Absolutely.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	80703   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DUC91C1P~1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	80704   Click image for larger version

Name:	879834_290.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	80705  

Ducati 800SS
Moto Series Novice #5
Cogent Dynamics
Bridgestone
Silkolene

"Live truth instead of professing it."--Elbert Hubbard
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode