Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - What have you done to/with your SS today?
View Single Post
post #385 of (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2016, 7:31 pm
stoshmonster
Average Weird Guy.

Garage
Finally got around to painting my motor cases. Pic 1.

I used VHT SP148 primer and VHT SP139 GM Satin Black paint. It has a nice satiny gloss finish without being overly bright.

I made the block-off covers that you see in the pic out of 1/8" thick masonite board. Rather than spend a month of Sundays taping and retaping the parts I used the covers to protect the machined surfaces on the cases and covers during both the bead blasting and painting processes. Pic 2.

Next up is curing the paint. A co-worker buddy of mine works part time at a local airport and graciously offered to bake the parts in an industrial oven that he uses for baking powder coated parts.

Made the mistake once of baking some brake calipers that I sprayed with VHT high temp ceramic paint in my kitchen oven. After about 20 minutes the whole house was filled with smoke,my eyes were burning,and I had every door and window open with fans blowing the smoke out.

Whole house stunk for almost week after that. Won't be making that mistake again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900SS motor cases.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	673114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Block-off covers.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	673122  

'95 900SS CR affectionately known as "The Pizza Wagon"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome