Is there anything better than new tires? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Is there anything better than new tires?

Just put on my first set of tires on my bike. (Yes, it came with a set but I'm talking about my first replacement set!) I went from Pilot Powers (very good tire) and am now trying Metzler M3. Just went for a break-in ride today, I like to go down then up Lookout Mountain (near Golden, CO). Anyway, everytime I do this I remember how good new tires feel. Totally linear and responsive, no fighting squared off tires I suppose is what that is about.

Hope to put the bike on a track in Sept with the new tires, if they last that long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:15 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
Doncha just love that?!? I do too!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:13 pm

A good lube job might be better

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:38 pm

Nope!!!

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:18 am

My 749 is getting fitted with it's first set of replacements as I type this being the M3's.

I've heard rave reviews about the M3's and was somewhat reluctant to switch over from the Michelin's so I look forward to getting the bike back soon.

BTW, how many km (or miles) is recommended to break in new tyres and what is the best way to do this?

The first set had an easy time whilst the bike was being run in. This is the first bike I've had long enough to have to replace the original OEM tyres so apologies if this is a silly question.

Cheers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK749
BTW, how many km (or miles) is recommended to break in new tyres and what is the best way to do this?Cheers
"They" generally quote 50 miles or 100 miles or something like that. I like to just go out on my favorite (very) twisty road and gradually pick up speed so I'm leaning more and getting the tires closer to their edges. For me that takes about 9 miles to get the chicken strip down to about 2 cm. That was yesterday. Today I've got a long ride on another twisty road (Peak to Peak Hwy) and I'll finish the job off.

It's hard work but somebody's got to do it!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn
It's hard work but somebody's got to do it!
Getting new tyres specifically for a big ride next week and was planning to pick it up the morning prior. My lovely wife has given me my first 'overnight' leave pass with the 749 so this means that I will need to take it easy for the first 100km or so.

The guys at my local dealer where nice enough to pick up my bike from home and ride it into the workshop so I may have to convince them to run it back via the mountains!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:56 am
KRG

Quote:
BTW, how many km (or miles) is recommended to break in new tyres and what is the best way to do this? Cheers
2 laps around the racetrack and the tires are good!

I agree that new tires are a great feeling. The lap times you can tick off are sometimes VERY inspiring.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:29 am

Quote:
The guys at my local dealer where nice enough to pick up my bike from home and ride it into the workshop so I may have to convince them to run it back via the mountains!

You're a better man than me!!! Brave too!! (actually, what I mean is...F&#K THAT!!!)

As for the tires, I'm pretty sure (not positive though) that the whole break in period for tires is based off heat, not miles. They tell you 50-100 miles cause as a general rule, that's straight down the blvd or through the Wall Mart parking lot, not 45* of bank through turn 2. Not going to build up as much heat as you would scrubbing them in properly on a track or good road. I had a set of brand new Pilot Powers with about 10 feet on them when I hit the track. Three laps = 12 miles and I started hammering them.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:13 pm

Thanks for your response to what should be a no brainer question.

With respect to the guys picking up my bike, my arm was in a sling so there was no way that I was going to be able to ride it myself so in one way, they where doing me a favour. They can take my bike and work on it whilst I worry about getting better.

Leg one of our overnight trip commences on The Old Pacific Highway running up into what we call a 'mountain' in Sydney :-)

I'll be sure to get the temp up on the tyres in this initial 50km.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode