So this winter I did put in a 1198 engine in the sps.
Now its started and test ridden.
A few notes:
Donor bike 996SPS -00 EU, not kalayari frame, shallow v
New engine 1198
Engine management system used Marelli 1.6
Engine has the same bolt pattern as 996 and swingarm fits too.
Headers needs rebuilding
Airbox need new bottom, pics later of my solution
If you dont have kalayari frame (deep v) you need to swap throttlebodies vertikale to horisontale and flip the linkage to work on top, no big deal.
Longer throttle cables, basic stuff though.
Brackets for injectors needs fabricating since 1198 has them mounted in the ceiling of the airbox, no rocket science.
996 clutch fits with small mods, clutch push rod is longer on 1198.
1198 ducati performance water pipes fits and works well with minor adjustments, keep in mind I used RS water cooler, stock 996 cooler will take a few more bends.
996 fuel pressure (3 bar) just makes it on wot, pinch the regulator about 2mm to have some extra. 1198 uses 4,5 bar.
Thats the big things in it from mind.
Biggest job: rebuilding exhaust headers, moding airbox and making injector brackets.
Lately I've been focusing to get it ready for the seasons first trackday 2nd may and today I got the mapping business sorted.
The engine idles nice and steady at 1200 and it doesnt seem bothered at all by the dyno, temps are very well managed so the 996 corse coolers with 1198 plumbing are sufficient allright.
We made the headers small the same way acra does their 996 system and maybe thats where the bottom comes from, tractor anyone
just a short one on the street.
The engine is phenomenally strong and very wide in power, I'm impressed with ducati producing something like this stock.
Now I havent ridden the thing since july 09 and usually the first ride of the season you are taken by the performance, that plus there was a side wind I dared not to push over 4th gear, but it quite easily popped up in fourth in mid range still, on track it will be just right I beleive.
(Forgot to tape the mic, sorry)
A few pics from rebuilding the exhaust, I reused the 57 Termi Corse I had for the desmoquattro and manufactured new headers for it