Speedcell Question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2010, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Speedcell Question

I bit the bullet and bought a speedcell sbk and im very excited. Ive been on a silly kick of reducing weight lately and figured what the hell. My question: Would you remove the batttery and the box completely and attach the new speedcell via zipties or would you keep the battery box and create a styrofoam wedge to keep everything in place? Thanks all.

2006 749s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2010, 7:13 pm

The battery box holds more than just the battery so when I installed my speedcell, I left it in place. I bought a large car washing sponge at an auto parts store, cut it in the shape of the old battery, then cut an indentation in it to fit the speedcell battery. Cost all of $2, took 15 minutes, and worked flawlessly through a whole season of track days.

Ducati 1098s
Ducati 916
Ducati Monster 620
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2010, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Thank you

2006 749s

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:23 pm

if you want to lose weight...the battery box is around 3.4 lbs.

it's gone on my bike...and attached via zipties

05 Ducati 999s Full Track/Race
06 Ducati 999 mono
01 Kawa 9R
97 honda shadow
94 kawa 250
91 vespa piaggo 250 still runs
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by osayek View Post
if you want to lose weight...the battery box is around 3.4 lbs.

it's gone on my bike...and attached via zipties
Were you looking at the Bursi aluminium battery tray?

Rod
999R 03 #0069
Italjet Dragster 180
Kaw ZX9R C2 fixxerupperer for fun aka The Ginger Ninja
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 2:47 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodericb View Post
If you don't use/have frame sliders, then by all means go for the Bursi aluminium battery box. WIll loose even more weight and will improve the ergonomics of that area (ecu, relator, etc).
But remember that you will not be able to install it if you do have frame sliders.

I also use a speedcell battery and have kept the stock battery box (have the SpeedyMoto sliders), I have used the 3M dual lock tape to keep it in place and works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1251.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	64692  

N3R Team #166

DP: Full Termi 57mm+filter+ecu, belt rollers, racing seat, monoposto tail, rear hugger, rear sprocket, ram-air covers, keyguard, carbon fuel cap, titanium reservoir covers, billet clutch & sprocket covers, monoposto subframe, MBP collets,STM: 48T clutch basket & plates, clutch slave cylinder, Suter Racing slipper clutch, Öhlins: forks+shock+steering damper, BrakeTech iron rotors f/r, R&G sliders f/r, ValterMoto rear axle sliders, SpeedyMoto: under-body sliders & water pump cover, Samco hoses, AFAM X-ring chain, Fabbri screen, Evoluzione throttle, PT levers, Marchesini forged mag rims, Woodcraft clipons, ProGrip's, FrenTubo kevlar lines f/r, Rider's Racing rear caliper bracket
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodericb View Post
i was looking at bursi, but i didnt think it was going to save much weight. plus it's constructed for normal size battery. So it's too big for speedcell and not needed.

So went with removing all the extra stuff and and put hold it with zipties.

I should be able to post some pics in few weeks hopefully...bike is still being worked on...

05 Ducati 999s Full Track/Race
06 Ducati 999 mono
01 Kawa 9R
97 honda shadow
94 kawa 250
91 vespa piaggo 250 still runs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 7:11 am

I kept the battery box and used 2" wide sticky back velcro (however this was on a Supersport), as per Speedcell's recommendation. That battery has helped me get my 1997 SS down to 322 lbs (without gas) .
Joe
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by osayek View Post
i was looking at bursi, but i didnt think it was going to save much weight. plus it's constructed for normal size battery. So it's too big for speedcell and not needed.

So went with removing all the extra stuff and and put hold it with zipties.

I should be able to post some pics in few weeks hopefully...bike is still being worked on...
I would be interested in seeing those pics of your bike osayek. Please do post a few so I can see how you have arranged it without the battery box.

As for the Bursi aluminium box, I'm still thinking about getting one and have it cut down to speedcell's size. This way it will also allow (probably) the frame sliders to be used.

N3R Team #166

DP: Full Termi 57mm+filter+ecu, belt rollers, racing seat, monoposto tail, rear hugger, rear sprocket, ram-air covers, keyguard, carbon fuel cap, titanium reservoir covers, billet clutch & sprocket covers, monoposto subframe, MBP collets,STM: 48T clutch basket & plates, clutch slave cylinder, Suter Racing slipper clutch, Öhlins: forks+shock+steering damper, BrakeTech iron rotors f/r, R&G sliders f/r, ValterMoto rear axle sliders, SpeedyMoto: under-body sliders & water pump cover, Samco hoses, AFAM X-ring chain, Fabbri screen, Evoluzione throttle, PT levers, Marchesini forged mag rims, Woodcraft clipons, ProGrip's, FrenTubo kevlar lines f/r, Rider's Racing rear caliper bracket
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 8:49 am

You make your own battery box :

Master :

Master with OEM battery box :

Carbon fiber :

Kevlar inside :

Next step :

Finally :

Panigale Stocksport race bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode