Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Rebuilding 959 need help Dash flashing like christmas tree, bike starts.

4K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  jiigan 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Thank you again for helping with all my questions. I just bought a wrecked 959 panigale and decided to try to rebuild. I have been with out a Ducati for a while which makes me less then happy lol
It is a 2016 959 with supposedly 9k miles (dash was missing) damage is to the front and left side. I brought her back today and hooked up a dash I had. Got the bike to run but the dash is flashing like a christmas tree. The check engine, abs, N indicator, and revs are all flashing. Tried to use a different ecu and abs black box. None of it makes a difference. I did some research and it looks like the front and back abs sensor is worth replacing (ordered already) Any other ideas?

Also need some parts: Headlight, headlight bracket fairing stay, heatshield cover for exhaust that goes under the seat in the back, front fairing.

Thanks again in advance, here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
Those do not look cut... those appear to have been connected to a terminal post, or bound together in some combination with a twist on connector. I would be very careful randomly connecting these to see what happens... you could easily damage the ECU/BCU by doing so.

Your best bet is to get the Ducati shop manual for this year and model and check the wire harness schematic for details on how these things were originally connected.

#7 ·
This may not help, but when my Hayabusa dash started flashing crazily it turned out to be a bad battery. The battery checked between 12.6 and 13.1 volts but could not crank the bike and all was cured with a new one.

#8 ·
As complex as computer controlled motorcycles are, there are any number of things that could be causing the problems. Sensors, sensor wires, various wiring shorted to ground, many many other possibilities.

The battery is an easy place to start.

Reactions: ProphetPVD
#10 ·
You've got a good start with the direction you're headed. Probably best to begin there and see where that takes you.

Full disclosure; there is a consensus among some within this membership that insists I have no idea what I'm talking about most of the time. You need to know that.

#11 ·
Get a wiring diagram. That will help.

I do have a lack of knowledge on these bikes, and had a nice long look at the 959 when I was at the stealership last week, but I think there is a compatibility issue between ECU and Dashes not originally mated with the ECU+electronics. Someone clear this up for me so I know the facts.

#12 ·
From my research I believe any dash from a 959 should work with a 959. I tried switching the ECU and ABS black box and made no difference. The weird part is the bike starts. So it must be an issue with the wiring, sensor, or cluster I am assuming. Will be getting a new cluster, battery, and abs sensors (front and back) soon.

The N indicator is flashing, Check engine and triangle indicator on, rpm flashing and does not rev up when twisting throttle, and the indicators on the right that say abs etc are also flashing with lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.