Track logging options - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By FourRings
  • 2 Post By enzochi
  • 1 Post By draganc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 12:30 am Thread Starter

Track logging options

Hi folks!

Iím thinking of recording my track days for post-session analyzing and learning purpose.

Whatís the forums experience about using cellphone, GoPro or cheaper no-name recorders?

I started looking into TrackAddict and racer render, which looks promising.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

999R - cult bike!
900SS - 1995
748LE - sold :-(, but looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 1:34 am
Prolific Poster Award

Donít bother. Two reasons. Youíll be depressed when you how little throttle you use and unless you can interpret your date and know WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH IT, it wonít benefit you. Best and easier to follow someone faster and learn. About the best you may learn is how CONSISTENT OR INCONSISTENT you are.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 9:23 am

After being very disappointed with Track Addict, I switched to an Aim AXL2 dash and Smarty Cam.

My issue with Track Addict was the spotty reception. Even with an auxiliary GPS receiver, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I also didn't like having to mess with my phone every time I went out for a session. My advice is don't bother with phone-based timers.

The Aim dash is loaded with hundreds of tracks, and it begins recording as soon as the bike is started. Likewise with the Smarty Cam. The camera records throttle position and brake pressure, which I've found to be very helpful. The camera has helped me to refine my lines and bike position. When I'm ready, I can start to analyze all of the data it captures. Right now though, the video and data imbedded in the video is enough for me. This is not a cheap system (check Bike Sport Developments). However, I've found it to be a very useful learning tool. I recently had one of the hot local racers take my bike out for a session. The video and data was eye opening! Very, very helpful. IMO, this is a very powerful learning tool.

The AIM Solo 2 lap timer is also very good. It has a lot of the benefits of the dash at a more manageable cost. Check out Moto D Racing.
draganc likes this.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:56 am

Garage
Next track day for me I'm gonna try out one of these -> https://www.pzracing.it/en/project/desmotronic-de400/ with a just a GoPro mounted on the triple.

I've almost got a device that does the same thing with a RaspberryPI, GPS and some other cards.

I"m slow as shit but the best advice is to follow someone faster. It is kinda nice to watch back the video and see your lap times slowly go down.
xracer and draganc like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 7:30 am
Lifetime Premium

I just used this for the first time on Labor Day and it worked perfectly on my 1198s. It only triggers the laptimer though, it doesn't record GPS data (at least as far as I know). I haven't pulled up the DDA data yet, but everything I've read supports that. fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzochi View Post
Next track day for me I'm gonna try out one of these -> https://www.pzracing.it/en/project/desmotronic-de400/ with a just a GoPro mounted on the triple.

I've almost got a device that does the same thing with a RaspberryPI, GPS and some other cards.

I"m slow as shit but the best advice is to follow someone faster. It is kinda nice to watch back the video and see your lap times slowly go down.

2017 Black Ducati Monster 1200R
2010 White Ducati 1198s -track only
1999 Red Ducati 996 mono -parting out
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
I just used this for the first time on Labor Day and it worked perfectly on my 1198s. It only triggers the laptimer though, it doesn't record GPS data (at least as far as I know). I haven't pulled up the DDA data yet, but everything I've read supports that. fwiw
That's exactly what I want. Where did you buy it from?

I've used a GoPro Hero Session 4 and that thing is just about perfect. Small and out of the way. Battery is OK. Just needed charged over the lunch break. I've got a Hero 7 but I've not used that on the track yet.

Here's one of my last times slowly around Mid Ohio with the session 4 at 1080p 30.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 11:32 am
Lifetime Premium

I bought it on Ebay from a place in Germany.....

2017 Black Ducati Monster 1200R
2010 White Ducati 1198s -track only
1999 Red Ducati 996 mono -parting out
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2019, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Did some more digging and research and I think I have found a very capable alternative => Garmin garmin virb ultra 30!

Some track vid:

10min review:

Apparently it does all what I want: video/still pics, GPS, g force, tilt, picture stabilization and you can overlap all of that with their Garmin app/SW.

It also integrates Bluetooth, WiFi and ant+ sensors. Hence, if you get a Bluetooth obd2 adapter for your bike you will be able to include and overlap engine infos into the video summary.

Not essential, but I think it would be very cool that you can actually connect a ant+ heart rate sensor as a data source.

All that for $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enzochi likes this.

999R - cult bike!
900SS - 1995
748LE - sold :-(, but looking
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourRings View Post
The AIM Solo 2 lap timer is also very good. It has a lot of the benefits of the dash at a more manageable cost. Check out Moto D Racing.
AIM Solo 2 is great. Can't reccommend it enough. Realy shows you where you are chickening out and just how slow you are getting on the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode