Ducati 999s TPS reset - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By belter
  • 1 Post By desmojob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Ducati 999s TPS reset

Hi Guys,

Bought a fairly low mileage (7500) 2005 999s earlier this year to go with my 996, and unfortunately it has been nothing but trouble so far.

The most recent problem is that it idles very badly and slowly until it stalls, with some popping, misfiring and black smoke if you rev it. It was a bit intermittent at first but not anymore, so I decided to start simple and reset the TPS. So I bought a lead off of ebay which came with software, didn't realise until I bought it that it was Ducatidiag. Anyway, I was wondering if I'm still able to obtain the licence to reset the TPS using this software or if I would be better off using a different software? I also noticed a fault code for a fault in the crankshaft position sensor circuit which also could be my problem, but I'd like to get the TPS done now anyway. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Garage
codes-

think it maybe best to fix the trouble code then do the tps when setting air mixture & sync throttle bodies to get best performance while reflashing the ecu.stock exhaust?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 5:49 pm

rotation sensor is a pretty common logged fault. usually means nothing.

the guzzidiag software or iaw version thereof doesn't require any licencing.
2004 999s likes this.

know all wanker

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan332 View Post
Hi Guys,

Bought a fairly low mileage (7500) 2005 999s earlier this year to go with my 996, and unfortunately it has been nothing but trouble so far.

The most recent problem is that it idles very badly and slowly until it stalls, with some popping, misfiring and black smoke if you rev it. It was a bit intermittent at first but not anymore, so I decided to start simple and reset the TPS. So I bought a lead off of ebay which came with software, didn't realise until I bought it that it was Ducatidiag. Anyway, I was wondering if I'm still able to obtain the licence to reset the TPS using this software or if I would be better off using a different software? I also noticed a fault code for a fault in the crankshaft position sensor circuit which also could be my problem, but I'd like to get the TPS done now anyway. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Ryan
To register Ducati Diag and get the free licence/registration you just need to do a dump of the ECU info and send it to JP and he will send you the licence file by return. This unlocks all the features. Or you can get Guzzi Diag/IAWDiag here: https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/ I haven't used it but I believe as per Belter's post above that this doesn't require a licence, not that DucatiDiag is hard to deal with.
Go here for more info and link to register: https://jpdiag.akress.com/ there are also links at the top of the page to the forum/FAQ's etc.

This is worth a read before you proceed: JPDiag :: >> Getting Started with Jpdiag <<
As per the link above, it's also worthwhile checking the pin outs on the cable you bought particularly if it's Chinese, better safe than sorry!

2013 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Black/Grey
2012 Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE
2012 Ducati 848 Evo Dark Stealth

Last edited by cs363; Aug 29th, 2019 at 12:26 am. Reason: More info
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 5:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I tried to find JP but I couldn’t find his profile.. I’ll look harder! Good to know can still get it working.
I had the software going and working but the reset TPS button wasn’t available to press which I think is a licensing thing so I’ll get on that.

When I got the bike, it ran fine minus a misfire pulling away which would stall the bike sometimes. I cleaned the bike and it started smoking and smelt like electrical burning so I rapidly removed the battery and found a permanent live had been rubbing on the heat shield behind the battery box and shorted to that. All the electrics were full of water down there so cleaned, dried and greased all connectors, the fuel pump relay was very corroded and full of water and so I replaced that which solved the stalling issue completely. A ride or two later and I’m at a roundabout waiting to pull out and it died, restarted but was misfiring at small throttle openings so I pulled over and it died again straight away. Took a bit of cranking to get her fired back up and was misfiring with puffs of black smoke when revving it but that cleared up and it ran fine to get me home, so I checked the plug caps for water and corrosion, changed the plugs, and changed the fuel pump as it sounded like low fuel pressure the way the revs just slowly dropped until it died.

The bike has I think Termis on it (I think they’re the ones which came with the S model as they have a Ducati symbol on but not Termi, but I’m not 100%) and also DP air filters. I’m trying to do simple stuff first like the TPS reset etc before anything else. Any input is obviously appreciated incase it’s a common problem. I did see a video on YouTube of someone’s doing exactly the same as mine but didn’t see anything about resolving it. Cheers guys!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 6:01 am

check the TPS sensor and do the tests according to the workshop manual.
If you have found water in the wiring and corroded components I am afraid that the problem is more than one
Ryan332 likes this.

...il suono del Desmo è quello che va in risonanza col cuore.... F. Taglioni
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmojob View Post
If you have found water in the wiring and corroded components I am afraid that the problem is more than one
Tell me about it Have managed about 5 rides on it since March haha
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 3:02 am Thread Starter

Right, so I got the license through very quickly, plugged the bike in ready to reset the TPS and the value for it was all over the place. It wouldn't hold a steady figure and didn't increase as it should as I wound the stop screw in, which lead to to think the TPS was faulty. Finally got round to changing it yesterday and voila! She runs as well as she ever has. Will go for a shakedown run next time I have a day off and the weather is halfway decent, and hope it holds out, I did about 3 miles on it last night and it seemed fine. Thanks for the help on this one guys, much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in