1098 VR issue help - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By loony888
  • 1 Post By belter
  • 1 Post By MillerDecaXC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

1098 VR issue help

All,

I've been researching 1098 voltage regulator/rectifier issues on this site and have found great info to fix the issue of the RR's going bad. I bought a Shindengen FH020AA and the Triumph cables to connect the RR to my 1098 without any cutting and splicing. What I can't find now is the post where someone mentioned a metal adapter plate to allow for mounting the RR in the original location. Could someone please point me in the direction of that old post or toward a place where I can make or buy that adapter plate?

Thanks

Last edited by Gregg Gaulden; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 4:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:18 pm

Are you talking about the metal heat shield that goes behind the RR and the plastic case that holds the battery and the RR mounts too?

46012832A is the number for that part, it's on my 1098R but not fitted to a std 1098, i would run one anyway, providing that's what you're meaning??
Gregg Gaulden likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm

roadster cycle sell a generic one. i think i used a couple of spacers i machined up when i fitted one to an 1198, and one of them was beveled to sit against the top angled inner edge of the box to allow the reg to sit with the connectors to the back (i think). rotated from the original anyway.

they need the heat shield too. not sure if they're still doing that under warranty or not.

know all wanker

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
roadster cycle sell a generic one. i think i used a couple of spacers i machined up when i fitted one to an 1198, and one of them was beveled to sit against the top angled inner edge of the box to allow the reg to sit with the connectors to the back (i think). rotated from the original anyway.

they need the heat shield too. not sure if they're still doing that under warranty or not.
Thanks Belter. I missed them selling adapter plates when I looked at their site earlier. I'll be contracting them tomorrow to double check that the 4 way mounting bracket will work. With the additional length of wiring from using the Triumph T2500676 harness I'll more than likely loop the excess around and have the connectors facing forward. Thanks again for mentioning that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
Are you talking about the metal heat shield that goes behind the RR and the plastic case that holds the battery and the RR mounts too?

46012832A is the number for that part, it's on my 1098R but not fitted to a std 1098, i would run one anyway, providing that's what you're meaning??
Loony888, My standard 1098 has a metal heatshield attached to the bottom of the battery box that fits between the VR and exhaust. I'm not sure if that was a factory part or not. It has always been serviced at the Ducati dealer in Charlotte since I bought in 2010, but I don't remember them saying anything about adding the heat shield, nor performing any recall work for the VR. Last time any recall work was done was in 2012 when the tank was replaced due to expansion.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 7:43 pm

I think I may have the same problem. Greg, what was your Bike doing?

Also, can someone confirm that these are the 2 parts that I need? I didnt have time to search around much. Any cheaper places to buy?

https://www.ebay.com/p/NEW-Shindenge...yABEgJI2_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-r...cAAOSwm1VcYquv

And any links to the/a heat shield? Anyone have a picture of the head shield installed?

Thanks ya'll!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Miller,

The symptoms I was having were that my gauge cluster backlighting, headlight, and turn signals would turn off, or go inop, while riding. During the day, I could still read my gauge cluster, the speed, temp, tach, and other functions were there. At night, I couldn't read anything and traffic couldn't see me coming due to no headlights. I never lost brake light functionality.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

I've attached some pictures of the metal heatshield that is on my bike. I'm not sure if that was an addition or if it came from the factory already installed. Like I said earlier, I bought the bike used in 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_204911.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	952141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_204848.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	952143  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Gaulden View Post
Miller,

The symptoms I was having were that my gauge cluster backlighting, headlight, and turn signals would turn off, or go inop, while riding. During the day, I could still read my gauge cluster, the speed, temp, tach, and other functions were there. At night, I couldn't read anything and traffic couldn't see me coming due to no headlights. I never lost brake light functionality.
Huge help, thank you!

I had similar problems last year, riding home and headlight went off, signals stopped working, etc. one time I legit lost like 75% power when accelerating, started it next day and ran fine. I replaced VR with a used OEM one off ebay, seemed to fix those problems but I didnt know anything about the recall/heat sheild so that was never put on.. so im thinking maybe this VR is now fried as well.

None of those problems happened yet this year but new problems are it'll stall a few times when riding, sometimes wont start back up on 3rd or 4th stall. Sometimes It wont start after letting it sit for 2-3 hours, sometimes I can let it sit for days without a tender and itll start. When it stalls and has trouble starting, ill check the battery and it is 100% fully charged. Starter/sprag/clutch all replaced with the 15,000-mile service ~50 miles ago with ducati parts from dealer. Nothing makes sense, Im beginning to really regret buying this bike lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode