Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

"upgrading" calipers on 999R

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  John 
#1 ·
I've thought about changing out my stock radial calipers a number of times on my 03 999R. I'll be the first to admit I like the looks of a monobloc set like the less expensive Brembo M4s and that is one reason for the upgrade. My stock radials are basically silver in color and the word "Brembo" are raised letters also silver in color, while the M4 Brembo name is recessed and painted red, I like that detail. The second need is the possibility of better braking performance, paying particular attention I like to trail brake so a brake that gives a softer feel on initial compression and then bites harder is what I'm most looking for. I know the master cylinder plays a role and also the pads, so I'm looking for some advice or recommendations to what kind of pads I should consider.

About nine years ago I changed out the brake and clutch masters to Brembo billet 19x18 brake and forged 16x18 clutch. They aren't the high end ones and I also installed Rizoma reservoirs. If the M4s/MCs are compatible, they should be, if not, I have no plans to change them out and will pass on the caliper upgrade if the clutch and brake masters aren't a good fit. Another consideration afterwards (I just changed the brake and clutch fluids) is to update the reservoirs with Rizomas that have the bigger fluid level windows.

A used pair of M4s is a good possibility if the condition and price are right. I'm pretty anal about the bike, so the looks of the M4s plays a big role when considering used.

RECAP:
1. Looking for better initial compression feel when trail braking.
2. Recommendation on pads, if I buy the calipers new, are the supplied pads optimum or is there something better?

Thanks all!

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Absolutely! Without coming out an admitting it, the force of the bling factor is strong. I knew pads would be a topic to look into, looks like two pad vs four is a good option for what I want.

Thanks everyone for the excellent remarks, I now understand the situation better!

#4 ·
I agree hole heartedly with trussdude here but what you are looking for can be achieved with a smaller bore master as well. A radial 18 or 17 bore with a 20mm pivot would be ideal. The problem with pads and street riding is the operating temperature range is huge and your speed and requirements will be different to someone else’s on a given piece of road. Over the years I’ve never really found much better than what stock pads offer. Their good over a lot of temperatures and are good enough for track days and some racers.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know if you mean track use, I guess you do since you're talking about trail braking...

I never had any issues racing on those stock Brembo calipers, stock master cylinder or Brembo 19x18 GP master cylinder.

Pretty much always ran Ferodo XRAC pads racing but I prefer more initial bite. One thing to consider is if you go to M4 calipers, you're going from 4 pad to 2 pad so that will perhaps change the initial bite / feel somewhat.

On street bike with M4 calipers and 19 RCS with occasional track use I run Ferodo SinterGrip but it's just personal preference.

Clean your rotors (rotor hone) when changing pad compound.

#8 ·
This all depends on what you want, need & like--I race Vintage Bikes in AHRMA I race a 1972 BMW R75/5 with a 1975 BMW R90S front end & brakes, I have dual ft disks & single piston swinging calipers. The way I have it set up I have all the brakes I need & out brake the majority of people in my class-( I race 750 Formula & BEARS) --Your Bike is probably lighter then my race bike. I dont know if you are just running on the street or on the track -But this I know for sure--Your brakes are FAR better then mine will ever be, If it's just a look you are looking for--so be it--If its better braking you need to look at your riding style, Better brake pads may solve your issue if better braking is your concern --sintered metallic pads WILL offer better stopping power but they will eat your rotors alot faster---But here is a test if you can grab a handful of ft brakes and lift the rear tyre off the tarmac-----you have everything you need

#14 ·
Indeed! The Brembos look fantastic as does the rest of your bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.