Monoposto 748 tail fairing question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 3 Post By Desimoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2019, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Monoposto 748 tail fairing question

So I picked up a neglected 916/996 with a bunch of very sad, but also some great rare parts..

One of the parts I have a question about is did Ducati make a monoposto to biposto seat conversion? I have both a monoposto ( supposedly ) but it has a seat bolted to it.. it looks completely different than the biposto tail I have..

Any insight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190818_220747924_1566181658952.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	951309  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 7:42 am

Garage
Nice idea, but not a stock option
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:32 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Not stock, and I am not sure I'd put any weight on that part of the tail. Nothing supporting it beyond the rubber bumpers at the latch if you also have the aluminum sub frame. If the sub is aluminum, I don't think it's made to support any weight that far back as they are nothing like the steel frame in construction. Just a single loop of aluminum tubing beyond the triangle shaped rider's section. Unless the passenger was a small child, I'd say it would bend pretty easy. Is the tail modified underneath somehow to distribute weight better? Does the bike have a steel sub? Interesting idea, but...

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 9:06 am

Garage
As SS904 discussed, the aluminum subframe is not strong enough design to support the added weight, there are no tabs for passenger foot pegs, plus the rear shock spring rate is higher to avoid bottoming out the shock due to added weight.

While as I mentioned it was a nice design idea, it takes much more to make it really usable.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 10:12 am

Definitely........ interesting.
As have stated, the aluminum subframe is not strong enough for the additional rider, and does not have provisions for the passenger pegs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

It's off the bike, the bike had a Biposto subframe.

I'm just amazed someone thought it was a dog idea to mutilate a monoposto tail.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

The quality of the seat really made me think it was some sort of option..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

The underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190818_220848195_1566240263645.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	951365  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostro View Post
The quality of the seat really made me think it was some sort of option..
That was hanging me up, too. Still.....
The front matches the rear, and is stitched. Ducati did not sew these seats, they were a one piece section that was simply wrapped and stapled to the seat pan. Even bipostos had black seats for the operator, some had black passenger seats, while others had body color-matched. I have never seen a body color-matched front seat, and could not imagine an upholstery shop matching it that closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostro View Post
The underneath.
Yup, definitely not factory. Ducati would not have used Phillips head screws, they would have been metric Allen head at the very least. Most likely, they would have used studs and 8mm nuts, like the front has. The rear p-pad on my biposto is held on with four 8mm nuts on studs, just like the front, and every bipo that I have seen has used this, as well. Ducati would never use Phillips headed screws, much less use two+ different sized Phillips headed screws.

Also, that hole pattern looks very asymmetrical and sloppy. Ducati would have been a lot more professional about it.

Also, having this pad hold the weight of the passenger, Ducati would no doubt reinforce the seat mount area, as the cowl would never be able to properly support the weight of a second rider up there, without spreading outward on the sides and eventually breaking. They would have no doubt made a bracket that went from the subframe or the bottom of the seat, for support.
Remember that the seat cowl to these bikes is only mounted solidly at two places, the hinge and the latch. There are two high-density foam rests, but these are not secure mounts, only rests. Everything that has to support weight (operator seat and rider seat) will have rubber feet that rests on the subframe, to directly support the weight applied. Keep in mind that these cowls are nothing but injection molded plastic, and there is absolutely nothing underneath this part of the plastic seat cowl that actually touches the subframe. One sit by Rosie O'Donnel, and that sucker's gon' split like a cheap pair of pants. Even the weight of a small person would eventually stress the platic to the point of paint damage, at minimal. Lastly, removal of such a p-pad would leave four holes in the seat cowl, as well as paint damage, if used.... something that Ducati would never allow.

Gonna say definitely a previous owner add-on. I cannot imagine in any realm of imagination that Ducati would do such shoddy work, and open themselves to the numerous warranty repairs for a split seat cowl.

Also note the turn signals incorporated into the upper vents. It looks like they may have tried to duct tape then to the underside, to mount them. Definitely indicative of the same shoddy worksmanship that the seat was mounted with. Certainly not Ducati quality.

Get yourself some 3M plastic repair (or take it to a body shop) and have it filled and repaired. Then, take that p-pad and kill it. Kill it with a gun. Kill it with fire. Kill it like it has dirt on the Clintons. Kill it in any way you can! And if it still wiggles, kill it again!

Then, find the previous owner who did this..... hunt him down like Indiana Jones in an eternal quest for the Holy Grail. And when you find him, whack him on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper for doing such a monstrosity!
916duc, Grumbly and Nikk11 like this.

Last edited by Desimoto; Aug 19th, 2019 at 3:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode