Number plates: why some, but not others? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 10:56 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Desimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 305
So, my 1997 748 did not come with a front number plate, and I was wondering.... why did some 748, 916, 996, and 998's come with them, while others did not? And though the rears were all painted on, were the fronts painted, or were they just stickers? And if they were stickers, were they on the clear, or clearcoated over?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited by Desimoto; Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:04 pm.
Desimoto is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,131
i don't think any of them had the front white plate bit ex factory. maybe the tarted up 998s models? nothing else i saw, but that's euro spec bikes. they did some special stuff on the usa models, esp in the years where they didn't import the hot versions.

know all wanker
belter is online now  
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 12:39 am
Member
 
Desmo996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Middletown, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 39
Garage
Interesting you bring it up. I was thinking the other day about the tail fairing, specifically Monoposto.

Some have painted white plates with the copper pin stripe. Some donít. No rhyme or reason it seems. Iíve seen pictures of every model from 748-998 with or without painted rear number plates.

So I was curious. If you go to Ducati and buy a new tail fairing what will you get? They offer painted (red/yellow) and unpainted, but will the red/yellow be just that or will it have the number plates painted on as well?

Things you think about lying in bed trying to fall asleep hahaha

Bikes:2001 Ducati 996 Monoposto; 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600; 2016 KTM 350 SX-F; 2018 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto
Desmo996 is offline  
 
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 1:07 am
Prolific Poster Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: melbourne, victoria, australia
Posts: 4,457
Brad is correct. None came with front number boards. Even though you could buy a base model with a mono tail, only the specials came with the white plate.
xracer is offline  
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Senior Member
 
corsemoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo996 View Post
Interesting you bring it up. I was thinking the other day about the tail fairing, specifically Monoposto.

Some have painted white plates with the copper pin stripe. Some donít. No rhyme or reason it seems. Iíve seen pictures of every model from 748-998 with or without painted rear number plates.

So I was curious. If you go to Ducati and buy a new tail fairing what will you get? They offer painted (red/yellow) and unpainted, but will the red/yellow be just that or will it have the number plates painted on as well?

Things you think about lying in bed trying to fall asleep hahaha
What you get depends on what part number you order.

The monoposto tail with number plate / pinstripe depends on the year. Early bikes had gold/copper pinstripe, later bikes had grey pinstripe. I don't remember if this coincided with frame color or not. The decals on the mono tail also change over the years depending on the model / edition.

The OE parts catalogs are pretty clear for year / model / edition on what is what in terms of painted / unpainted, mono / bi, color, solid or number plate tail. Many of early ones are probably NLA. In the old days, would always verify with Ducati before ordering bodywork though.
corsemoto is offline  
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Member
 
Desmo996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Middletown, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 39
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsemoto View Post
What you get depends on what part number you order.

The monoposto tail with number plate / pinstripe depends on the year. Early bikes had gold/copper pinstripe, later bikes had grey pinstripe. I don't remember if this coincided with frame color or not. The decals on the mono tail also change over the years depending on the model / edition.

The OE parts catalogs are pretty clear for year / model / edition on what is what in terms of painted / unpainted, mono / bi, color, solid or number plate tail. Many of early ones are probably NLA. In the old days, would always verify with Ducati before ordering bodywork though.
Interesting.

Now my 01 996 has a white plate, gold pinstripe, and Ducati 996 in grey metallic all under clearcoat. Original tail fairing, vin and all other tags still stuck on the fairing, pretty sure I saw a date somewhere on it etc. I wouldnít consider an 01 an early bike right?

Maybe the 998 had grey stripes?

I still feel like the Italians did whatever they wanted to do when building the bikes haha. Like Monday bikes got no fancy stuff, Friday bikes got cool stuff because they where happy the week was over haha.

Bikes:2001 Ducati 996 Monoposto; 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600; 2016 KTM 350 SX-F; 2018 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto
Desmo996 is offline  
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Prolific Poster Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: melbourne, victoria, australia
Posts: 4,457
Yes, 998 had the gray stripe.
xracer is offline  
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Senior Member
 
corsemoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 196
After thinking about it some more, the frame color probably didn't have anything to do with it. My '98 916 yellow monoposto (gold frame) had the gold/copper pinstripe on the tailsection and my 2001 748R (grey frame) also had the gold/copper pinstripe on the tail.

On some of the parts diagrams, there is a part number for "gold adhesive" which looks like it would be the pinstripe. There are also different tailsection decal part numbers for some red and yellow bikes, I believe the pinstripe and decals differed depending on color (red/gold yellow/grey) at least on the 998. The 998 also had a different tail number plate shape to the earlier bikes. That's about all I can remember, hard to believe it's been 15-20 years already!
Desmo996 likes this.
corsemoto is offline  
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 2:24 pm
Senior Member
 
Sherpa23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Posts: 513
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desimoto View Post
So, my 1997 748 did not come with a front number plate, and I was wondering.... why did some 748, 916, 996, and 998's come with them, while others did not? And though the rears were all painted on, were the fronts painted, or were they just stickers? And if they were stickers, were they on the clear, or clearcoated over?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Unless it was a Bayliss or Bostrom or Foggy, I cannot think of a single street 916 gen bike that came from the factory with a painted nose. The mono tail plates were introduced a couple of years after the launch and in the US, any mono after 1997 or 1998 (I can't remember exactly) came with the white tail number plates. The color of the pinstripe is specific to the year and the decal layout. There are three colors: bronze, gold, and dark charcoal, if I remember right.
corsemoto likes this.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213

Last edited by Sherpa23F; Aug 16th, 2019 at 2:38 pm.
Sherpa23F is offline  
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:14 pm
Senior Member
 
vanduc996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: vancouver, bc, canada
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
Unless it was a Bayliss or Bostrom or Foggy, I cannot think of a single street 916 gen bike that came from the factory with a painted nose. The mono tail plates were introduced a couple of years after the launch and in the US, any mono after 1997 or 1998 (I can't remember exactly) came with the white tail number plates. The color of the pinstripe is specific to the year and the decal layout. There are three colors: bronze, gold, and dark charcoal, if I remember right.
the '01 996 S comes with the white number plate on the nose along with tri colore stripes for both nose and tail number plates
vanduc996 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome