2004 Ducati 999 - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW00089 View Post
Side-stand improved, note slightly better position (I think). Jim

Daaaang! Now that is some serious European gangsta lean! Don't think I have ever seen one lean over to the right like that before.
🤣🤣🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Filters were grimed out totally....

* there is some forum issue with rotating photos unintentionally LOL

Gents - I have two maintenance items I wanted to do since bike is new to me: change brake & clutch fluids, & check/clean air filters.

Air-Filters: OMG... I took out the filters last night and the grime build-up was unbelievable. Almost no light was able to pass through the filters in any area. I can't believe the engine was able to run being so choked. Blockage plus maybe 1/16" of tar/dirt/oil/grime layering. I used a can of carb-n-choke cleaner, then a can of WD-40 and both filters were purged clean.

I started the bike without the filters - and DAMN!! Sounded mean & crisp!! Made me super happy. I reinstated the cleaned filters, and the engine sounded the same although just a bit quieter. I may still replace the filters, but for today, they are a million-percent better than they were!
Jim

Last edited by JRW00089; Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:52 am.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desimoto View Post
Daaaang! Now that is some serious European gangsta lean! Don't think I have ever seen one lean over to the right like that before.
🤣🤣🤣
Could be the plate, mine had been welded by the PO at sometime.

You can see daylight just below the weld, only became apparent after the weekend ride.

556.2.032.1A

120 euro shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	952071  

'06 999s
'03 SS 1000 (Sold)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Lower Fairing: Dzus Fasteners

Gents - a small improvement: I replaced the two rubber well nuts with 4mm Allen head Dzsus Fastners (same as the fairings), and quite pleased. The "clips" went into position easily and appear to have a sufficient amount of spring force to hold them in position on the receiving-tang. After owning a 848 I 'hate' the rubber well nuts, so very glad to get rid of these two.

In case the clip slides around; is there any advice on how to ensure the clip "stays" in the intended position? Epoxy or smaller fastener?

WOW! Today was first fast ride with the 999 since cleaning the air filters and the power difference is amazing. I'm 215 naked, bike will roll-on wheel up in first, every gear is better! Much more fun!!
Jim

Last edited by JRW00089; Aug 29th, 2019 at 11:27 am. Reason: added...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 7:23 am

Garage
Quote:
Gents - a small improvement: I replaced the two rubber well nuts with 4mm Allen head Dzsus Fastners (same as the fairings), and quite pleased. The "clips" went into position easily and appear to have a sufficient amount of spring force to hold them in position on the receiving-tank. After owning a 848 I 'hate' the rubber well nuts, so very glad to get rid of these two.

In case the clip slides around; is there any advice on how to ensure the clip "stays" in the intended position? Epoxy or smaller fastener?

WOW! Today was first fast ride with the 999 since cleaning the air filters and the power difference is amazing. I'm 215 naked, bike will roll-on wheel up in first, every gear is better! Much more fun!!
Jim
Can you provide some additional info about the dzus fastners you talked about? Is it the ones under the fairing? Which one did you use? The screws on the bottom on my fairing is absolute dogshit so would love switching those out if that's the ones you're talking about.

Ducati 999 '06
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Gents,

Here is what I used to replace the Ducati 999 lower fairing two screws & wellnuts:

1. I used the black Allen-head fastener because the head needs to recess into the screw hole.
2. I used the "silver clip" from the D-Ring Fastener so that it will slide onto the flange that formerly held the Wellnut.
3. I used pliers to "squeeze" the clip a just a bit, so the Fastener would reach into the attachment tangs.

Easy!! I took a long ride yesterday, and both fasteners and clips are in proper position.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 9.19.51 AM.png
Views:	16
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	952223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 9.20.30 AM.png
Views:	16
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	952225  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Gents,

Here is what I used to replace the Ducati 999 lower fairing two screws & wellnuts:

1. I used the black Allen-head fastener because the head needs to recess into the screw hole.
2. I used the "silver clip" from the D-Ring Fastener so that it will slide onto the flange that formerly held the Wellnut.
3. I used pliers to "squeeze" the clip a just a bit, so the Fastener would reach into the attachment tangs.

Easy!! I took a long ride yesterday, and both fasteners and clips are in proper position.

Jim
Well nuts are perfectly ok as long as you don't over tighten them, I change them out regular. Seriously mate, I would not ride with your set-up, I've lost a Dzus fairing fastener on a ride. God forbid the lower fasteners, you got to think why did Ducati not do that set up, your choice. Ride safe.

'06 999s
'03 SS 1000 (Sold)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2019, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Gents - would it be a good upgrade to put 999R throttle bodies with 12 hole injectors into this base 999, or would there be no noticeable difference? Thx Jim

Last edited by JRW00089; Sep 2nd, 2019 at 9:58 am.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 12:22 am

Quote:
Gents - would it be a good upgrade to put 999R throttle bodies with 12 hole injectors into this base 999, or would there be no noticeable difference? Thx Jim
My 05 999S I just replaced to the 12 hole injectors alone and that super improved it. I then added a PC and Dyno tuned to match the new injectors.. That Black S I sold long ago and all the docs went with her, so I'm going by memory I'm thinking I got a 5hp gain at the rear wheel and noticeable torque improvement..

RC

Last edited by RC51-05; Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:22 am. Reason: Cant spell
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 1:31 am

Quote:
Side-stand improved, note slightly better position (I think). Jim
Did the lean improved before or after the Thai massage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode