Low mileage 916 - value and questions - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Low mileage 916 - value and questions

Hey Gang,

My brother bought a 916 from Canada with about 1500 kilometers on it. The bike was in pristine condition when he picked it up.

It now has 3010 Kilometers on the clock. Here's the good stuff:

1. It has a Fast by Ferracci clip ons
2. It's has a Ducati Performance slipper clutch
3. Fast by Ferracci chip - I am guessing it's their stage 1, but don't know for sure.
4. My brother stated that he replaced the front / rear sprocket for quicker launches.
5. It has what appear to be Termignoni carbon fiber slip ons
6. Tires are low mile Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's

Now the bad part:

My brother went down on the bike, but doesn't remember what happened. The damage was as follows:

1. Both mirrors broken off
2. Both fairing stays were broken
3. The headlight mounting bucket was broken
4. There are scratches on both side fairings
5. There are scratches behind the the seat on one side
6. The original windscreen and supporting plastic fairing broke off
7. One blinker was damaged

My brother shipped it to me in this condition and I replaced the broken parts, did the belt service and flushed all fluids and filters and replaced the battery.

Here's the question: Should I sell it as is, or have a body shop repair the fairing scratches and then sell it?
What is your sense of the value of a low mileage 916 that has been dropped?

Thanks for your wisdom!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120208_125304.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	948703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120208_125256.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	948705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190629_191156.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	948707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120208_125232.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	948709  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 11:33 pm

How much is he needing ot get out of it, and how much work do you want to spend on fixing it up for him?
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 12:22 am

That must have been a helluva crash. You're selling a Canada spec bike in the US that has been crashed. And selling in a shitty market. The market for a good one is maybe around $7K these days although prices are risings since, contrary to popular belief, Ducati didn't make that many. A bike that was crashed pretty good and fixed? Maybe $5K if that. With the bodywork fixed properly. I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 12:48 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
That must have been a helluva crash. You're selling a Canada spec bike in the US that has been crashed. And selling in a shitty market. The market for a good one is maybe around $7K these days although prices are risings since, contrary to popular belief, Ducati didn't make that many. A bike that was crashed pretty good and fixed? Maybe $5K if that. With the bodywork fixed properly. I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.
It’s not “ a helluva” crash. The damage has been from a standstill. Repaired many bikes that have fallen onto or against something. Apart from the obvious the overall condition of the bike looks to be excellent.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 2:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer View Post
It’s not “ a helluva” crash. The damage has been from a standstill. Repaired many bikes that have fallen onto or against something. Apart from the obvious the overall condition of the bike looks to be excellent.
In the OP's post, there's unfortunately no mention of you being there. Since you clearly were, judging from your detailed account of the incident, perhaps you can provide some additional enlightening commentary and maybe even some phone photos. Great to have you on the job.

One question though, where did it say "from a standstill?"

My valuation stands and with the additional proviso that the front fairing/windscreen/mirrors be present and accounted for.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 3:32 am
Prolific Poster Award

You were there to make the “helluva accident” comment were you? And your assessment of the damage comes from???? Perhaps you need to think what you say before you open your mouth as I doubt you have any experience with motorcycle accident repair. Me on the other hand have been working in the industry along side insurance companies for thirty years. I feel I have a wee bit more ability to read what I see in pictures to make a rather good if not excellent assessment of the damage then you ever will. What do you think?
From “a standstill” are my words. Don’t think I copied or made up anything different. Also, I gave no valuation, merely commented on your “helluva” accident. Your arrogance is staggering.
motogp69 and Neil66 like this.

Last edited by xracer; Jul 18th, 2019 at 3:45 am.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 7:28 am

One thing to keep in mind about "collectible" bikes and the prices that go along with them...
The ones that bring good money are stock with no stories.

Sure for years guys saw some exhausts and other mods as a plus.
That was when they were just used bikes. Those mods added to the enjoyment and use of the bike.

Now in the collector market guys are valuing low mileage stock bikes.

Does that mean a bike like this is worthless? Absolutely not.
But you have to adjust expectations to the market demands.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 7:42 am

Garage
How does it fall over on both sides? Pick it up and then l drop it on the other side for more damage? Doesn't make sense?
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 7:50 am

While the damage looks to me more than just a stand still drop (not that I was there, mind you... so I don't know), it is hardly a "helluva drop." Most of the damage is cosmetic only. I say most, because of the headlight bucket, but this is certainly not a hard hit, in my opinion.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post
One thing to keep in mind about "collectible" bikes and the prices that go along with them...
The ones that bring good money are stock with no stories.

Sure for years guys saw some exhausts and other mods as a plus.
That was when they were just used bikes. Those mods added to the enjoyment and use of the bike.

Now in the collector market guys are valuing low mileage stock bikes.

Does that mean a bike like this is worthless? Absolutely not.
But you have to adjust expectations to the market demands.
Agreed.... to an extent. These bikes are still ridden, and such add-ons would also be appreciated by a potential new owner. Will some cans or a chip hurt the value? No, not in my opinion. Will it help it significantly? No. The one thing that would help the value of a low-mile Ducati would be tasteful, easily replaced mods, where the original owner has retained all the original parts. Being able to restore the machine to stock is very important, as what one person likes, may not be what another would appreciate. It always makes me raise an eyebrow when I see people trying to fetch a premium on a custom painted bike, when custom paint is about the worst investment you could do, actually hurting the machine's resale value.

All in all, tasteful mods don't really affect the value in either direction, so long as they can be returned to stock.

The exception to this of course, being the ultra rare, or ultra low mile motorcycles... (Supermonos, Paul Smarts, Mike Hailwoods, Superlegerras, Desmosedicis, and your 1, 2, or even 3 digit mileage bikes.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode