2000 Duc 748 light Resto - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

2000 Duc 748 light Resto

Follow-up to my New member intro post, im starting this thread for my 748 "light resto" thread.

I recently picked up this 2000 748 with 6300mi on it, reasonably cheap. It's got no service history and was pretty grubby. Its probably led a hard life to some degree. it came with a set of Xerox race rep fairings and is missing a bunch of small stuff. Most of the missing or bodged stuff ive now bought off ebay. Im a "back to Stock" type of guy, so no mods for me (at least not cosmetic). Main work won't start till the fall, but ill spend my time collecting the parts I need and assessing/learning all I can in the mean time.

what I've found and bought so far (when I say "new" I mean new to me, most parts are used off ebay):

New Rear tail light - has a Chinese LED rear light with the integrated turn signals
New Turn Signals - only the left front signal is "intact", right front is broken and the rear ones are missing due to the integrated tail light
New rear sub frame same colour as the rest of the frame - mine is chrome and someone has cut off the Bi-posto seat supports - likely due to the monoposto aftermarket tail being fitted in the past
New Seat cowl front hinge - the pin/springs etc are missing on mine
New Rear fender and Lic Plate mount/light - mine has been long removed and has a crappy cheap replacement
New Airbox and Yellow Side Panels - mine have been painted white to match the after market Xerox fairings
New OEM Clutch cover - mine has been painted white

I also removed the tinted headlight covers - not a fan of these

What I got in a box with the bike:

OEM bar levers - these will go back on to replace the aftermarket Pazzio (sp?) look alike levers
OEM Passenger foot peg hangers - missing the pegs and pins/springs
3 specialized socket /tools for what I believe are for the rear wheel and the head-stock

What I still need to buy/fix:

Clear windshield
OEM fairing fasteners (Cheap crappy aluminum screws in there now)
Passenger foot pegs, pins and springs
Bar end weights
"748" decals
Tremignoni exhaust stickers, mine are bubbling
Stain on the Bi-posto yellow seat - cant remove the stain

Mechanicals Im expecting to buy:

New Belts
Valve Shim Kit
Fork Seals (mine are shot)
Guy Martin Collets (?? maybe)
Plugs, Oil Filter, Oil etc

Other findings :

Right side rear exhaust hanger bolt is missing (no big deal)

The Good:

Tires are new ish
Chain and sprockets are new (originals are in a box and are not worn, just different sizes/ratio's)
Battery is new
Bodywork is generally decent
Starts and Runs well - at least the limited time I have with it. Its been started a lot but not "Run" much, I haven't got it safetied yet, so it has only done a kilometre down my "gravel" road (ie slowly). I will have to check the Reg Rec and voltage to be sure all thats ok

What Don't I know ?

Love to hear from the experts here on any typical problem areas that I should look into ---- Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100740.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	948293   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100741.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	948295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	948297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	948299   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100742.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	948301  

2000 Ducati 748 BiPosto

Last edited by straycat; Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Reg Rec seems good

Unfortunately I cant put the original stock levers back on as the actuating pins/rods won't come off the cheap levers. I can get the small Allen locking screws out but the head of the screw on top of the actuator pin is bitched, so I cant remove the pin from the barrel. I read here that its a common problem, $39 US for one replacement is a bit steep. Ill watch Ebay for a while see if anything shows up.

2000 Ducati 748 BiPosto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in