749R MOTO2 PROJECT - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2019, 8:49 am Thread Starter

749R MOTO2 PROJECT

Hello Newbie here. Having been reading this forum for many years now.

I joined because i am finally in a position to really go to town on an amazing project bike and wanted to get as much expert input as possible and share the journey with my fellow 749R lovers. So please bear with the long post.

I currently own a Ducati 2004 749R track bike with the DP engine kit (Cams, Heads, full Ti Termi and ECU) with less than 1,000 KM (purchased from an chap with big collection of Ducatis in Italy) I also have all road parts including carbon fairings in storage.

I also own an Aprilia RRV 450 Race bike (IN Competition Machine). Awesome 62hp, 120kg 450cc V Twin race bike..

Both bikes are in the UK and being fully refreshed

So onto the PROJECT - i want to build the lightest most up to date 749R track bike - I am calling it my "749R MOTO2 PROJECT " spec and weight - I have a very good budget to do it. I know it will cost a small fortune but you only live once and I love this bike and engine more than any other on the planet, including all the wizz bang new stuff (some of which i will also buy but more on that later).

My 749R already has some nice parts and weighs in at 180Kg with half a tank of fuel. I want to get that down to to 150Kg mark, WET!!!. Now i know some people will say that is impossible - the WSS spec bikes came in at 165KG wet. So if i can get to full WSS spec plus parts that were not allowed due to regs, it MIGHT be possible....The bike will not be built in my shed but by a professional Ducati Race team.

So I mean,

WSS Spec plus the following mods:
Custom NCR or Strada FAB Ti frame
Full Ti Hardware, and additional engine lightening
Carbon tank, Carbon Wheels, Carbon Fairings
Full Moto 2 or FGR 300 Ohlins setup,
Full Brembo GP4 system

I don't really care about trying to create a 749RS replica - I know there was no such thing (i have read JerryWorld full blog maybe 100 times) - I just want best modern day money no object 749R track bike.

So I am LOOKING for DP parts (I know thay are "unobtanium") or i will be happy to buy a full 749RS race bike and build from there - I can put the existing one back to road and keep parts as spares.....

So if you have parts or a RS bike you would like to sell then please PM me....

and of course any suggestions - if you could build you dream spec would be most appreciated.

Any suggestion on paint will also be much appreciated - do not want an old race livery with lots of logos - I love the Pramac bike below, so maybe something like that wihhout the branding

I will keep you all updated on the build...Its gonna be SPECIAL....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati 749rs 3.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	946271   Click image for larger version

Name:	ducati 749RS 1.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	946273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati 749rs 5.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	946275   Click image for larger version

Name:	ducati 749RS.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	946277   Click image for larger version

Name:	RRV450 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	697.2 KB
ID:	946279  

Name:	RRV450 3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	946281   Click image for larger version

Name:	RRV450 7.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	946283   Click image for larger version

Name:	pramac.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	946285  
ducatimike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 6:15 am

Fantastic project! looking forward.
You could loose the starter motor like the 998RS bikes. This would save an lot of weight. I have done this to my 749R. have not weight the bike yet though.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 8:30 am

Garage
Might want to check out Ducati 749/999 owners group at Facebook. Admin is Jusutus from this site who's done nice work with his 999S too. In the classifieds there you will find one RS tank and Febur carbon tank for sale. Also carbon RS fairings can be found there too.

For 150 kilos you need to do more than just swapping parts. I believe the exhaust needs to be redone and placed under the bike as Durbahn did with his own 999 project. Otherwise it's just too heavy no matter what metal it's made of. He also did a new aluminium petrol tank(located in the left side of the bike) and used a dummy tank where it's normally located. Cable clutch also saved weight. Many of his extreme mods changed the bike quite a bit and IMO it wasn't a 999 anymore. I would keep the 150 goal if necessary and swap everything out and see where you end up. Carbon wheels, brakes, fairings, tank, airbox, clip ons, etc. Lightweight pulleys, lightened engine internals, lightest possible clutch, Falcon etc dash, titanium exhaust, Bursi battery tray, lithium battery, new wiring....

'04 999X

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 9:35 am

Garage
This has my full attention. Very excited to see where this project goes and so happy for you. I have a 749 dark track bike which is glorious and am waiting for the day to upgrade to the R version. Your dreams are way beyond my budget but I am glad to be along for the ride.

Ducati 749 Superbike "track weapon"
Monster 1200 25 Anniversario
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:01 am

Great project! I'll be really interested to watch your progress.

Randy at Stradafab does great work. He built a Ti exhaust for my SS that is really nice. He's great to work with. A Ti frame with the 999 RS bracing would be really cool.

You may want to contact Mick at Bike Sport Developments about a custom loom, TC, data logging, etc. His looms are beautiful, and light!

Modern rear shocks are difficult to source for these bikes. Ohlins Brno - Vangelas Racing make a really nice custom TTX.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	749r-track-5-27-2019-v2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	663.1 KB
ID:	946345   Click image for larger version

Name:	749r-track-5-27-2019-v3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	946347   Click image for larger version

Name:	749R-TTX.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	946355  

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S

Last edited by FourRings; Jun 19th, 2019 at 10:23 am.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:32 pm

You might want to try Pierobon X80R. You may be able to put your 749R motor in there.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 1:30 pm

I seem to recall a story about someone that had a titanium crankshaft made for his Ducati. Very foggy memory on that one. If I recall correctly he had s shit ton of Ti components made for it. It seems as though it may have been either a TV show or a Tou Yube video. The bike also had a Ti spring on the rear shock.

Meh ... oh well.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Great to see people are interested and thank you for your advice so far

Posting an update after making loads of calls.

So the advice i have is to put my bike back to road spec as it is a rare 2004 carbon model with less than 1000km and to buy a WSS bike for $15-20K and go from there.

Titanium frame and Ti engine internals are out (i.e cranks etc...) - not recommended by the team i am talking to, crack under extreme unidirectional stress.

Durban bike was a little too extreme and no longer looks like the XX9 models and the side rads/tank was weird.
A Pierobon X80R frame is not the way i want to go either as again will not look like a XX9 bike and a have a different X80R project in mind!

So plan and specs we are looking at are,

WSS bike (full WSS, BSS or AMA Extreme corse spec with LEO or Akra ti exhaust and all ti hardware and a spares package) - circa $20K and 165Kg, plus;

Carbon or ETI tank ($1-2k) - 3.5Kg saving
OZ Cattiva Mags ($4k), 3.5Kg saving
MOTO2/WSBK RVP25 Ohlins ($16k new or $7-9K used one year old), 1.0kg saving
GP4 Brembo setup ($2K), no change or heavier by 1.0kg
EVR carbon Airbox box and runners ($2K), 1.0kg saving (if they take the RS velocity stacks)
Ultra Light Clutch assembly (still investigating), 1.0kg saving
Rear Shock upgrade (still investigating)
Updated Electronics (still investigating)
Lightweight sprockets and axles etc etc....

That should get it to about 155kg WET at a total bike+parts cost of approx $45K + labour for a full rebuild/refresh + paint for fairings

I will also get a Facebook account (resisted all these years) and join the 749/999 Interweb group

It will take time to sort all this out due to racing season in full swing and cannot give my money away at the moment to this race team, but they will do when season is over and i have sourced the base RS bike. Want this team as they are the best and can properly test and set the thing up.

When it is done will post all pics

So i am looking for a WSS spec bike - I will pay around the $20K mark for something in good condition with spares and then re-build it. If you have one then PM, cash waiting.....happy to ship from anywhere in the world....do not have enough posts to place wanted ad....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Keep the dream alive bro, work hard and it will happen for you too. I took me 15 years to get to this point to be able to do this project and and green light all of my other dream bikes.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

loosing starter motor is a non starter, will be a pain in ass for track day use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode