996/1098/SSR side stand comparisons - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Garage
Post 996/1098/SSR side stand comparisons

I, like a lot of 916 era Superbike owners, felt nervous with the crazy lean angle on the stock side stand. Here is a comparison of the stock 996 side stand to the 1098 era, and the SSR side stand. I have no experience with any of other SSR style stands but I imagine they are all the same length. Hope this helps someone else trying to alleviate the sketchy lean. As far as I know my ride height is stock. I have been told you can change the lean angle by adjusting ride height but I don't feel comfortable making those changes. YMMV.

These measurements were made in my garage. I used the angle finder on my iPhone. On the swing arm stand it read 0 degrees.

All measurements were made on my 2000 996 Biposto. Each side stand was a direct bolt on and no additional or different brackets were needed.

The stock 996 side stand had a lean angle of -13 degrees
The stock 1098 side stand had a lean angle of -10 degrees
The SSR side stand had a lean angle of only -6 degrees

I can tell you when I switched from the SSR to the 1098 it felt fine letting the bike down off the swing arm stand onto the side stand. When I went from the 1098 to the 996 however, I honestly thought I forgot to put the side stand down before taking it off the swing arm stand and stopped to make sure it was indeed down.

I now feel way more confident in the ability of my side stand to keep the bike upright.

Attached are some images of the angles and the stands themselves for comparison.

Thanks,
A.W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidestands-03.png
Views:	76
Size:	605.6 KB
ID:	946159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidestands-02.png
Views:	65
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	946161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidestands-01.png
Views:	64
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	946163   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideStandAngles.png
Views:	56
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	946165  
PeterS and paulmm600 like this.

Check out my Instagram for my various hobbies.
Hobby ADD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C!ph3r View Post

Attached are some images of the angles and the stands themselves for comparison.

Thanks,
A.W.
Side note.
The stand in the center is for a 1098 R Part# 55610462AB
For anyone wanting the stock Alloy look , the 1098 S Part# 55610462A

2000 996
The best views are seen from within a motorcycle helmet
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk11 View Post
Side note.
The stand in the center is for a 1098 R Part# 55610462AB
For anyone wanting the stock Alloy look , the 1098 S Part# 55610462A
Good info. Thanks. I didnít know. I thought previous owner had it powder coated. That black coating is really thick.
Nikk11 likes this.

Hobby ADD

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 6:44 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Did this as well. I found a clean 1098 side stand assembly on eBay, mount and all, but found there was no difference. Turns out the 1098 stand is longer but the mount has more angle than the 916 part so it still had the excessive lean. The improvement comes with the 1098 stand attached to the 916 mount.

To be honest, for me the bigger improvement is the larger foot of the 1098 stand. Easier to catch it with the heal of my riding boots to put it down without getting off the bike. The original stand's foot was pretty hard to catch with a boot.

Took these pics to post on another forum as a graphic to show the improvement. Still maybe a lot of lean, but I have my ride height raised a bit.

Original

1098 stand on the 916 mount.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

Last edited by SS904; Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:50 am.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS904 View Post
Did this as well. I found a clean 1098 side stand assembly on eBay, mount and all, but found there was no difference. Turns out the 1098 stand is longer but the mount has more angle than the 916 part so it still had the excessive lean. The improvement comes with the 1098 stand attached to the 916 mount.

To be honest, for me the bigger improvement is the larger foot of the 1098 stand. Easier to catch it with the heal of my riding boots to put it down without getting off the bike. The original stand's foot was pretty hard to catch with a boot.

Took these pics to post on another forum as a graphic to show the improvement. Still maybe a lot of lean, but I have my ride height raised a bit.
Very cool. I had someone on Instagram suggest pics of the bike with earth stand. So I think Iíll follow your lead and swap them out again and get pics of each one mounted.

I canít get over the amount of confidence I gained when parking it. Itís the little things that we do that make our bikes our own.

Hobby ADD
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Original
Off topic but I can’t get over how similar your tool box looks to my own. For some reason that struck me funny. I have the same box but in black and it’s over flowing with tools and other “stuff”

And I just saw the 2 old computer towers on the floor. Similar interest I am guessing

Hobby ADD
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:00 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
LOL. Calling my tool box orderly would be a stretch at best. I mostly know where everything is, sort of. I will admit to repurchasing small parts I forgot I had on hand, for some reason I have a lot of rubber well nuts...
C!ph3r likes this.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
LOL. Calling my tool box orderly would be a stretch at best. I mostly know where everything is, sort of. I will admit to repurchasing small parts I forgot I had on hand, for some reason I have a lot of rubber well nuts...
Oh man. Same here. Always rebuying something. I now have no clear flat surfaces in my garage. Tools on top of tools. I really need a garage reorganization but last August my wife and I came to an agreement, a bunch of new tool boxes and cabinets or the 996. Looks like Iíll just have to keep tripping over stuff
SS904 likes this.

Hobby ADD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Definitely appreciate the comparisons and pictures but this got me thinking, has anyone had a 996 side stand fail on level ground or know somehow who had that happen?

I've owned and commuted on mine for over 5 years so I'm very familiar with the extreme angle on the stock stand, just wondering what the true risk is or if anyone knows the backstory for why it was designed this way. At the very least I would still consider switching to a longer stand to allow parking in more non-level situations.

2001 996
2009 250 Ninja
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 6:50 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
Definitely appreciate the comparisons and pictures but this got me thinking, has anyone had a 996 side stand fail on level ground or know somehow who had that happen?

I've owned and commuted on mine for over 5 years so I'm very familiar with the extreme angle on the stock stand, just wondering what the true risk is or if anyone knows the backstory for why it was designed this way. At the very least I would still consider switching to a longer stand to allow parking in more non-level situations.
I had the stock mounting plate bend (I put it down to the already severe lean angle) which made the lean angle even more excessive.
My bike would regularly pierce asphalt on warm days because of the small foot on the stock 996 stand , made me scared to park it on anything but concrete.
I’ve been running a 1098 stand on a stock 996 mount for quite a few years now, I had to find out myself if it would work . Nobody on this forum including Shazaam, nor anyone else on 3 continents could tell me if it would work or fit.
Eventually I came to the conclusion that it would fit due to the pivot bolt being the same part# .
I originally had my 996 stand lengthened ,, warning to all DONT TRY THIS ,, it failed , broke at the weld . Better to block the foot than it is to lengthen the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCD68259-D52A-4FE4-A975-7D8CD6E685A8.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	946571  

2000 996
The best views are seen from within a motorcycle helmet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode