996s Stumble and Evap Can Questions - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage
996s Stumble and Evap Can Questions

So late last autumn I sold my RSV4 Factory & I picked up a 2000 996s and it sat awaiting good spring weather in Calgary, which takes a while believe me.

Whilst doing a servicing over winter that included new BMC air filters, fuel filter, plugs, I noticed the Evap can was cracked and dented and no carbon inside so added it to the to do list to remove it.

Last week I took it out for a quick shakedown run a discovered the infamous 5k to 6k stumble that got worse over about a 1hr ride so could it be a fuel issue or a resistance/heat issue over time?

So I've done the search on the site that mentions a few things which I'm in the process of swapping out by elimination:
Bad Fuel Filter - Done
Bad Fuel Relays -Doing
Bad EPROM - Doing

Originally the bike started OK from cold but not great, this has since improved with the BMC filter install and runs nicely at the 1000 mark with the button pressed whilst warming up.
The fuel pump cycles when the ignition is switched on even after I swapped over the two fuel relays to check but got no neutral light, but I couldn't find anywhere that says what each relay does to what, one is fuel pump but what does the second do?

Third question is with the Evap can damaged there must be incorrect pressure at the fuel intakes which is why they get blocked off for the removal mod, but can this cause an issue with the second injector and a sensor, which I presume comes in around that rev range because once the bike gets through the 6k it pulls really well?

Third question, Id like to try the other fixes first but I've ordered a new eprom chip to match the Arrow slip on's as this looks like its never been touched just in case it pooched, but its not a single injector mod type, there is already a PCIII fitted but I was wondering when you install the new eporm will I need to install a different map in the PCIII ?

Thanks in anticipation,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 3:59 pm

Remove the EVAP canister and plug the line going to it, or remove them from the throttle bodies an plug the throttle bodies. It's an unnecessary piece and never did anything much in the first place.

If the issue gets worse the more you ride, then it sounds like it gets worse the lower the fuel in the tank. Also, idle isn't sucking much fuel. My point, the fuel lines in are probably cracked. When submerged in fuel it doesn't matter b/c fuel can come in and out of the crack in the lines. As the lines get exposed to air in the tank, lower fuel level, they leak and so the engine starves from fuel.

Don't bother with the EEPROM mess until the fuel lines and filter are replaced. If that does not cure your problem, then less us and and we will help as information dictates.

97 916/996 "The Time Machine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode