Time to revive the look of my 1098S - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Time to revive the look of my 1098S

Looking to switch up the looks of the bike and modernize it a lil. Anyone took off all the graphics and changed the look? Or added new graphics?

Board seems to be dead.

Anyone still making vinyl decals?

Anyone still riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've got a yellow 1098 and I've love to add a tricolore stripe across the mid-fairings--just can't seem to find anyone that's made one t fit our bikes.

Would love any leads here regarding cool, classy, understated graphics ideas/sources for the 1098 range!

Greg
Austin TX USA

2008 1098
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 12:23 am

Good luck, and I mean it.

The xx98 and 848 came out stale. There isn't much that you can do with em to make them look good.
xracer, Jyrki, ProphetPVD and 1 others like this.

97 916/996 "The Time Machine"

post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 7:43 am

That's ridiculous, rude and outright wrong. The 848/1098 series is very attractive, and well-balanced. Properly proportioned for the American-sized rider, unlike the Panigales that followed. That said, the Panigales look great too, in my opinion.

If you have something positive to add here, please do so. If not, troll elsewhere please.

Everybody can have an opinion, I suppose, even if they're wrong! :-)

Greg

2008 1098
post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 10:01 am

Not a 1098 so don't FLAME me bro.

My friend carbon wrapped his Pani 1199 with this cool graphic running thru the middle, might suit your ride.

Ha, see what I did there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29684003_2086177778318068_4405290810569722796_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	943651  

'06 999s
'03 SS 1000 (Sold)
post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
That's ridiculous, rude and outright wrong. The 848/1098 series is very attractive, and well-balanced. Properly proportioned for the American-sized rider, unlike the Panigales that followed. That said, the Panigales look great too, in my opinion.

If you have something positive to add here, please do so. If not, troll elsewhere please.

Greg
Ha ha. I am not a troll, and I believe that the first sentence of my post was positive. So no more discussion about those two points. About rude, I was not offensively impolite. I can show offensively impolite if we need to establish a baseline. If a feeling was escalated, I am not responsible for that.

And you can bet my opinion will be "wrong" sometimes while at others it will be "right." I bet if i posted pics of The Time Machine you would have no problem disliking what I have done. I don't have a problem with that either.

As to making XX98 look good. Track skins and do something about that giant heat shield on the exhaust. I'll limit myself to that for now.
xracer and ProphetPVD like this.

97 916/996 "The Time Machine"
post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:

Greg
Dude... @Namor has been a member of this board forever (check the post count) and the very last thing he can be described as is a troll.

He gave you his honest opinion... please respond accordingly.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 12:31 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I've got a yellow 1098 and I've love to add a tricolore stripe across the mid-fairings--just can't seem to find anyone that's made one t fit our bikes.

Would love any leads here regarding cool, classy, understated graphics ideas/sources for the 1098 range!

Greg
Austin TX USA
Am a big fan of Giallo, but that's not the problem with the 1098/848's. It has more to do with the styling of the bike itself. If our eye travels from the front to the back of a bike, the Foundation Line is an "imaginary" line that our brain follows as we observe the design. In the 916/748 series, and to a lesser degree the 999/749 series, that line begins just below the intake "nostrils" at the front of the fairing, and moves aft from there, lining up with the bottom of the tank, and ultimately following the base of the seat. In the 916 especially, this line is uninterrupted, and offers plenty of options for mapping graphics, which either strictly or loosely follow that line.

In the 1098/848, the Foundation Line is a less well defined line, and more of a suggestion of the line if the eye follows the same path from front to rear. The bottom of the tank angles up from it's bottom forward edge to it's rear where it meets the seat. Your options for adding graphics which "follow" this are going to be limited. However, you DO have one very cool thing going for you with that bike... they seem to have employed what in automotive design is known as a Shoulder Line... which is typically a broad visual cue, again interpreted by the brain when observing a design, which moves uninterrupted through the design. In automotive design, this line typically begins at or just aft of the front wheel arch, and then moves to the rear.

The 1098 has a beautiful example of this... the vent on the side of the fairing shares almost the same angles as the side covers below the tank, which then visually blends with the sides of the seat and then terminates in those interesting panels on the sides of the tail. I bet you could do something really cool from the vent rearward that blends really well with that design feature.

P.S. Namor's is right... get rid of the huge exhaust shield. Go with nothing, or at a minimum, the smallest shield you can find.
Old rider likes this.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954

Last edited by ProphetPVD; May 21st, 2019 at 1:46 pm.
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
Good luck, and I mean it.

The xx98 and 848 came out stale. There isn't much that you can do with em to make them look good.
Personally, I still think to this day that the 1098 is the best looking Ducati ever made. It was unique as hell at the time in both body, chassis, and motor. I keep looking at the new ones and keep waiting for something to grab my eye but bought a Triumph to go next to may Duc instead.

Here one someone on this site owns. Love the look. (Except the silver chrome).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09945.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	943703   Click image for larger version

Name:	d16m2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	943705  

Last edited by LiesAngeles; May 21st, 2019 at 6:48 pm. Reason: add another pic.
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBoy View Post
Not a 1098 so don't FLAME me bro.

My friend carbon wrapped his Pani 1199 with this cool graphic running thru the middle, might suit your ride.

Ha, see what I did there.

Opinions vary. I find this bike to be "Tacky". I live in a city full of high end cars and some bikes. C.F. just always looks tacky to me. I find the spirit of red or yellow with the Ducati's and Ferarri's too.
ProphetPVD, 58 burst and Zaph like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode