996 SSR Kickstand seems too long - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
996 SSR Kickstand seems too long

Hey guys. I wanted a longer kickstand because we all know the gangsta lean on the 996 is pretty extreme. Well some of us do and I am one of those that do.

So a wonderful person donated a SSR billet kickstand to me in my search for a 1098 kickstand and I couldnt be more grateful.

The issue I have now is it seems too long. On the stock kickstand it could be scary at times how far it leaned. Now, it seems too upright. I have attached a pic in my garage. This doesnt do it justice how upright it is. My garage is of course very flat and level. But, when I park in the drive way or with the slightest incline in a parking lot I almost feel its going to tip over the other direction.

In fact, when putting up the kickstand I have had to actually lean it to the right for it to fold up.

Now, SSR says to adjust the rear ride height slightly to get more lean according to the instructions on their site. Anyone done this? I have never adjusted suspension on any of my bikes and worry about the negative impacts from raising the rear height.
Here are the instructions from SSR.

10) Test to see how much the bike is leaning over on the kickstand. If the bike does NOT lean over enough with the billet kickstand, loosen the locknuts on the rear suspension control rod and make it longer. That will raise the back end of the bike and increase how much the bike leans over. Raising the back end a little will have NO detrimental effects in terms of handling. As a matter of fact, it will quicken steering and most owners will find the bike easier to haul through turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	996RearShotSSR.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	777.8 KB
ID:	943565  

Check out my Instagram for my various hobbies.
Hobby ADD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Adjusting the geometry for a kickstand...lol... take it to a weld/fabrication shop
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Adjusting the geometry for a kickstand...
That was my thought. Didnít seem like the logical thing to do. But I know a lot of people are using them on the 916 era bikes. Hopefully someone that has used one can offer some insight. Maybe it isnít too high and Iím just not used to how upright it is.

Hobby ADD

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 12:21 am

I'll trade you whatever you have for my OEM. With my setup the out most point of the kickstand is all that touches the ground. The Time Machine leans way over. This is a result of geometry setup to be how I like it. And for the most part, if you have to raise the rear ride height or rotate the eccentric to get the bike to lean more, it's not a big deal. If you aren't at the track that stuff doesn't matter and you will likely like the change.
paulmm600 and nine16 like this.

97 916/996 "The Time Machine"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 2:35 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C!ph3r View Post
Hey guys. I wanted a longer kickstand because we all know the gangsta lean on the 996 is pretty extreme. Well some of us do and I am one of those that do.

So a wonderful person donated a SSR billet kickstand to me in my search for a 1098 kickstand and I couldnt be more grateful.

The issue I have now is it seems too long. On the stock kickstand it could be scary at times how far it leaned. Now, it seems too upright. I have attached a pic in my garage. This doesnt do it justice how upright it is. My garage is of course very flat and level. But, when I park in the drive way or with the slightest incline in a parking lot I almost feel its going to tip over the other direction.

In fact, when putting up the kickstand I have had to actually lean it to the right for it to fold up.

Now, SSR says to adjust the rear ride height slightly to get more lean according to the instructions on their site. Anyone done this? I have never adjusted suspension on any of my bikes and worry about the negative impacts from raising the rear height.
Here are the instructions from SSR.

10) Test to see how much the bike is leaning over on the kickstand. If the bike does NOT lean over enough with the billet kickstand, loosen the locknuts on the rear suspension control rod and make it longer. That will raise the back end of the bike and increase how much the bike leans over. Raising the back end a little will have NO detrimental effects in terms of handling. As a matter of fact, it will quicken steering and most owners will find the bike easier to haul through turns.
Lean angle seems about right .
Iím running a genuine 1098 leg on the 996 mounting plate , whilst sitting on the bike I have to lean slightly to the right sothat the stand clears the ground ,, itís never fallen over & Iíve never worried about it doing so ,, but I would constantly worry about it doing so with the stock 996 leg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B103C233-0DF4-4529-8E4D-29440644C889.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	943641  
spinoli1 likes this.

2000 996
The best views are seen from within a motorcycle helmet
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 4:21 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
I'll trade you whatever you have for my OEM. With my setup the out most point of the kickstand is all that touches the ground. The Time Machine leans way over. This is a result of geometry setup to be how I like it. And for the most part, if you have to raise the rear ride height or rotate the eccentric to get the bike to lean more, it's not a big deal. If you aren't at the track that stuff doesn't matter and you will likely like the change.
Interesting. I’m still very much in the air on if I’ll ever track it or not. And I still have my stock kickstand but thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk11 View Post
Lean angle seems about right .
I’m running a genuine 1098 leg on the 996 mounting plate , whilst sitting on the bike I have to lean slightly to the right sothat the stand clears the ground ,, it’s never fallen over & I’ve never worried about it doing so ,, but I would constantly worry about it doing so with the stock 996 leg
Wow thanks for that pic. Good stuff. Looks like it’s spot on. I’ll run this way for a bit and see if I get used to it or if things get to sketchy.

In the meantime I think I’ll look into finding a block of scrap aluminum or delrin plastic and make a “shoe” for the stock stand.

Hobby ADD
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 6:10 am
Come in Spinner :)

Don't muck around, just take it to a shop where they weld alloy... boat builder for example and get it cut to the length you need and put a nice big flat plate on the end so it can stand on soft ground (or tar)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010533.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	943643  

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 8:22 am
Mayor of Simpleton

Garage
Three choices;

1. Live with whichever stand is closer
2. Adjust the ride height
3. Custom fabrication

I have the longer billet stand. I didn't need to increase ride height just for that purpose--that's where I already had it and in my opinion these bikes like it anyway. Why not adjust the rod, ride it, and see what you think? If you don't like it, lower it and figure out which stand to go with.

'01 996R, 851 Adamo/Leoni racebike, '97 900 SS CR, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75,
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 10:29 am

Typically it is a higher lean angle, but I am playing with the geometry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.png
Views:	32
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	943677  

97 916/996 "The Time Machine"
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 12:13 pm

Jeez, I thought my 916 had a damaged kickstand or something, it leans over so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode