Need help, Ducati Corse slipper clutch in 1997 916 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Need help, Ducati Corse slipper clutch in 1997 916

I've been restoring this 916 for the last half a year or so (see other thread) and finally have it running well. First time I went to try riding it the clutch just kind if didn't work.

I took it back into the garage and noticed that the top friction plate had slipped above the basket and gotten lodged...

I'd put more stack height in, but I'm also at the point where when the clutch is engaged, the top friction plate is at the very top of the basket... what???

I'm not sure what to do, or if I'm doing something totally wrong. Here is a video I took. You can see the clutch engagement looks fine if I only slightly depress the clutch, but if I fully open it, the pressure plate moves far enough out that the friction plate can become free. (and they often do).

https://youtu.be/VUYFSy0mfcM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 11:50 am

Garage
Is that the ball bearing or ramp type slipper?

999S '06 "Isabella"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusutus View Post
Is that the ball bearing or ramp type slipper?
Ramp type. I heard the duca bike ramp type is exactly the same as this, not sure how correct that is.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Have you measured the stack height? Made sure the order of the plates is correct? Seems like for ďmostĒ slippers, the number is 36.5mm for the stack height. Looks like you have an extra plate somewhere in the stack. On the slippers Iíve installed (kbike), the last plate is never a friction plate but just a plain steel.

Here are pics showing the 7 and 8 friction plate setup/order of plates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A59BF17D-FB67-4F8C-A09D-419BFF5BA0CA.png
Views:	17
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	943519   Click image for larger version

Name:	27B31550-B534-4194-84D3-7975EEC6DF2B.png
Views:	15
Size:	800.9 KB
ID:	943521  

Last edited by jsedacca; May 19th, 2019 at 12:52 pm.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedacca View Post
Have you measured the stack height? Made sure the order of the plates is correct? Seems like for “most” slippers, the number is 36.5mm for the stack height. Looks like you have an extra plate somewhere in the stack. On the slippers I’ve installed (kbike), the last plate is never a friction plate but just a plain steel.
It's about 38mm right now, and yeah it seems like I should run a lower stack height, but if I lower it, the pressure plate doesn't come into contact with the stack. And as it is now, if I open the clutch, the friction plates can jiggle out of the basket... I could try putting a couple extra steels on the outside...?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzel View Post
It's about 38mm right now, and yeah it seems like I should run a lower stack height, but if I lower it, the pressure plate doesn't come into contact with the stack. And as it is now, if I open the clutch, the friction plates can jiggle out of the basket... I could try putting a couple extra steels on the outside...?
Take a look at the pictures Iíve attached. You can add extra steels on the outside to get the stack within range where it works.
RockAZ likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you measured the stack height? Made sure the order of the plates is correct? Seems like for “most” slippers, the number is 36.5mm for the stack height. Looks like you have an extra plate somewhere in the stack. On the slippers I’ve installed (kbike), the last plate is never a friction plate but just a plain steel.

Here are pics showing the 7 and 8 friction plate setup/order of plates
That's interesting, the picture shows the first plate is a friction? But everything else I've seen suggests using a metal first. This basket also has a metal that screws into the basket itself, which I removed because I'm not sure what it's there for... maybe that acts as the first metal and so the first plate going in is a friction? but that metal is, again, screwed into the basket, so it works differently.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

I also don't have any of those convex plates in either the pack from the clutch that was in the bike or the pack in the slipper I replaced it with.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Quote:
That's interesting, the picture shows the first plate is a friction? But everything else I've seen suggests using a metal first. This basket also has a metal that screws into the basket itself, which I removed because I'm not sure what it's there for... maybe that acts as the first metal and so the first plate going in is a friction? but that metal is, again, screwed into the basket, so it works differently.
If itís a true slipper clutch, the first plate is always a friction. Donít worry about the convex plate either. All the plate kits Iíve gotten for the slippers donít have the convex plate. Itís just a plain steel in that spot. Sounds like you need to disassemble and post some pictures to what is really in there. The metal you speak of should be on the hub, not the basket.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
If it’s a true slipper clutch, the first plate is always a friction. Don’t worry about the convex plate either. All the plate kits I’ve gotten for the slippers don’t have the convex plate. It’s just a plain steel in that spot. Sounds like you need to disassemble and post some pictures to what is really in there. The metal you speak of should be on the hub, not the basket.
Ok, give me a half hour, just went inside for lunch. I'll pull the pack back out and take pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode