Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

916 Ohlins fork sizes

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Sherpa23F 
#1 ·
I full well know the answer to this, but looking for independent confirmation about the following information about any and all Showa and Ohlins forks as OEM fitted to any variation of the 748/916/996/998, along with any aftermarket Ohlins variants produced for these bikes--both strada and corse.

Please cut and paste:

Showa diameter at the upper triple:
Showa diameter at the lower triple:

Ohlins diameter at the upper triple:

Corse (WSB) spec diameter at the upper:

Were other Ohlins dimensions used at any point during the entire life cycle of the 916 series (list):

#2 ·
Showa diameter at the upper triple: 53mm
Showa diameter at the lower triple: 53mm

Ohlins diameter at the upper triple: 53mm
Ohlins diameter at the upper triple: 56mm

Corse (WSB) spec diameter at the upper: no idea, but I'm pretty sure they were 'wide' forks also, using a longer axle
Corse (WSB) spec diameter at the upper: ^

#3 ·
Corse (WSB) spec diameter at the upper: no idea, but I'm pretty sure they were 'wide' forks also, using a longer axle
Corse (WSB) spec diameter at the upper: ^
I have those on my Corsa (with the WSBK wide track triples). Maybe I'll measure and see when I get home.

#7 ·
I full well know the answer to this, but looking for independent confirmation about the following information about any and all Showa and Ohlins forks as OEM fitted to any variation of the 748/916/996/998, along with any aftermarket Ohlins variants produced for these bikes--both strada and corse.

Please cut and paste:

Showa diameter at the upper triple:
Showa diameter at the lower triple:

Were other Ohlins dimensions used at any point during the entire life cycle of the 916 series (list):
Yes but not with the 916 and if I read properly, I thought the question was about the 916. So, based on that, I thought you have the wide track from '95 and then '96 (955) and then after that they become 996 (with the homologation of the 916SPS) and then the forks change again. I am not an expert so I could be wrong.
I highlighted the original question- maybe Im reading it incorrectly?

Seems it covers *all* variants; 748/916/955/996/998/S/R/RS, etc.

The OEM sizes have always been 53/53 for Showa, and 53/56 for Ohlins...all the way through the 1198R/SP. (Not sure about Panigale)

The Corse/RS sizes are something different altogether. The forks used on a 93RS (F), for example were likely FG7700? These were the 40mm axial mount versions. I think they measured 51/57. As the FG line matured- tho still using the 40mm axial mounts, the diameters changed to 52/56, or 52/58.

I'll ping a friend who has a bunch of these bikes and ask him.

#9 ·
I think you're probably right and I'm wrong. I was only reading the title, which says "916 Ohlins Fork Size." As you correctly pointed out, the whole question has everything, which is kind of a broad question.

Reactions: Full_Spectrum
#8 ·
One additional note:

Ohlins produced two different type of aftermarket forks for these bikes:

1. Ohlins FG-43 Road & Track- these were always 53/56 for the 916 series bikes, and came with a lower triple clamp for use on Showa based bikes. This was a 'plug and play' type upgrade.
2. Ohlins SBK FG-xxxx- These are the Superbike forks that had much different valving, larger diameter tubes, no dust seals, etc, etc. Full superbike stuff. Came in different diameters, and would not fit any stock parts, ever.

#15 ·
5 years ago I fitted rs (vintage unknown) clamps to a 998. Öhlins r&t forks fitted straight in as did the the speedo and spacing between fork centres was identical to a standard road bike. Offset was obviously different. Top clamp eventually cracked at the pinch bolt and the customer opted to get a new top clamp copied and machined from 7 series Al.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.