Antigravity Lithium Battery Problem - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Question Antigravity Lithium Battery Problem

*posted this over on the Panigale forum, but figured I'd post it here also to see if you guys had any insight*

Bike is 2013 Panigale S.
I figured I'd go ahead and make the upgrade to lithium. Installed the Antigravity AT7B-BS RE-START battery, and the bike doesn't seem to like it at all. Took it for a ride, and the battery light came on, check engine light and gas light started flashing. Bike would start to idle a little high as well.

As I rode it, all the warnings would go away for a sec, then eventually come back again.

Has anyone experienced this or is this thing just defective? Regardless, I'm returning it and going with another brand considering Antigravity hasn't been much help with responses.

What I've done so far:
Tested Voltage Regulator...checks out fine.
Tested and charged the Lithium Battery with an Optimate291 charger...battery checks out okay?

Put back in the old Lead-Acid battery and all the problems are gone.

Any ideas?

2013 Panigale 1199S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 3:41 pm
Prolific Poster Award

“Any ideas”. Stick with the lead acid. It works. What do you gain with a lithium?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer View Post
“Any ideas”. Stick with the lead acid. It works. What do you gain with a lithium?
What do I gain with the lithium? Seems like just a damn headache.

Only trying to make it work because it seems like I'm stuck with it.
Sent them several emails concerning the issues and setting up a return it and they've stopped responding.
Another guy on the Panigale forum said he had no issues.

Might just have to chalk it up as a loss.

2013 Panigale 1199S

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 5:53 pm

Garage
Quote:
What do you gain with a lithium?
I installed a non-restart (now discontinued) Antigravity AT7B-BS.
Only issue was the install as the 959 Panigale's cables were very short to reach the terminals.
Removing the battery rubber boot gave me the wiggle room I needed.

Advantages are:
Weight loss is incredible and almost unbelievable until you have one in each hand.
Cracking Amperage at 320 is almost 3x the Stock Yuasa's 110 CA.
No need for a tender during long periods of inactivity providing there's nothing connected to it

Disadvantages:
Requires a specific tender for lithium batteries.
Require the above tender to be connected to prevent parasitic drain while in the bike during periods of inactivity.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:08 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:45 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I can’t see a cost benefit ratio in a lithium battery. We’ve been down this road before. Yes they are light but in the scheme of things the weight saved is nothing compared the weight of the bike. More CCA? Well maintained bike will start on what Ducati provides. If it can’t then there are issues elsewhere with the machine. Holding charges when it’s not in the bike. Who takes their battery out and lets it sit? You have a trickle charger so just plug it in. When there are battery issues posted here, which type of battery gets the most complaints by far.......lithium.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
I can’t see a cost benefit ratio in a lithium battery. We’ve been down this road before. Yes they are light but in the scheme of things the weight saved is nothing compared the weight of the bike. More CCA? Well maintained bike will start on what Ducati provides. If it can’t then there are issues elsewhere with the machine. Holding charges when it’s not in the bike. Who takes their battery out and lets it sit? You have a trickle charger so just plug it in. When there are battery issues posted here, which type of battery gets the most complaints by far.......lithium.
From a practicality's point of view, I agree with you.
However, please keep in mind this is a Superbike thread not a Multistrada thread.
Cost differential is not a big issue as the guys here are trying to minimize weight any way they can.
A lithium battery has a high weight savings to cost ratio.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 4:18 am
Prolific Poster Award

The battery has a huge weight to power ratio. It factors to fuck-all when you add the ratio to the bike. NONE of us would know the difference. But hey, if you want to spend the money on a perceived gain that’s fine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 6:55 am

Garage
Quote:
The battery has a huge weight to power ratio. It factors to fuck-all when you add the ratio to the bike. NONE of us would know the difference. But hey, if you want to spend the money on a perceived gain that’s fine.
My OEM battery went dead only after two and a half seasons. I just decided to try something new that would hopefully last longer with a few extra perks thrown-in. Cranking Amperage may not be an issue in Oz but it sure is here in Canada. Cost was not that much more than the OEM. I'm just sharing un-biased facts, not opinions. No need to shoot the messenger.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Quote:
These batteries alone may not make a huge difference, but when you think of the lengths and costs people go to to save weight on other parts I think the lithium batteries are well worth using. It really depends on the application.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2018, 12:35 am

"Simplify, then add lightness", Colin Chapman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode