29inch inseam on Streetfighter/1098 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2018, 1:52 am Thread Starter

29inch inseam on Streetfighter/1098

Im 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam. I wonder if I able to tiptoe the Streetfighter or 1098.

It would be helpful if anyone with similar sizes could help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2018, 7:28 am
Prolific Poster Award

I donít think it will be comfortable when you stop and need to put a foot down. All depends on how much thatís going to bother you. I have a 30Ē inseam and I wouldnít even consider it, but thatís me. I place a premium on being able to touch the ground when I stop. I bought a Monster and put the low seat on it.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Riding it and tip-toeing would be the easy part. DO you know how many times you have to back a bike up in the course of a day excluding at a race track? Now that just does not work well on tip toes, ask me how I know.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I too am 5'6" with (on a good day) a 29" inside leg. I've been riding my 998 with a dollop of extra rear ride height and a 180/60 rear tyre for well over 10 years, no probs. I also ride an HM1100 which is much taller - sure a bit of tip-toe is called for every now and then, but it's not a problem.
If you're really worried, sit on the bike before you buy it.

HM1100S, 998Bip
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 2:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
I too am 5'6" with (on a good day) a 29" inside leg. I've been riding my 998 with a dollop of extra rear ride height and a 180/60 rear tyre for well over 10 years, no probs. I also ride an HM1100 which is much taller - sure a bit of tip-toe is called for every now and then, but it's not a problem.
Good info, thanks. Whats the seat height on those 998 and HM1100?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 2:51 am

I'm 5'3" and i ride all sorts of bikes, experience has allowed me to ride multistradas and BMW GS1150's with no problem at all, granted, i wouldn't own one because they really are a stretch for a shortarse like me but height, or lack of it is not a hinderance if you know how to ride and have the confidence and common sense to think ahead.

I ride a 1098R which has a tall seat which combined with the reach to the bars means only the ball of one foot touches the ground, which foot? depends on the fall of the road, i don't kick my star from on the bike and i don't walk it backwards on board, you just have to know what you can reach and what you can't and ride accordingly.

I'm 50, i've always been short and i've always ridden big sports bikes, the fact that you're asking the question says to me that you're not confident and probably don't have much in the way of experience riding big bikes, you can choose a monster or a Diavel, (i have one and i've had three monsters as well) and gain more experience and confidence or you can jump in and buy the bike you want and just make it work, it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.
ray916mn likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 7:59 am
Prolific Poster Award

Just a different attitude I guess. I donít see any reason to ride a bike I donít fit. My Monster is a stretch, Iíve replaced the seat, dropped the front a little, and I wear thick boots. Thick soled riding boots with good traction really help, by the way.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 8:14 am

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
I'm 5'3" and i ride all sorts of bikes.... ....i've always ridden big sports bikes.... ....it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.
This post all the way... Iīm 5ī8" with short-arse legs (28" inside seam), but never have any problems on any bikes, even big crossers. Actually it makes superbikes & high pegs a nice fit! One foot down is enough & you just slide an arse-cheek over. As Loony says, low speed skills are top - one of my goals in traffic is both feet up as long as possible & roll it in oh-so slowly... Reversing bikes is a get-off (one hand on the bar, one hand on the seat), or park uphill & toe-drag, so reverse is easy
jcasella likes this.

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 10:21 am
Tightly Clenched...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
I owned a 1098 Streetfighter and had to have the ride height adjusted all the way down to be able to touch the ground at a set of lights (one footing it). It's the seat shape that made everything awkward. I even bought a second hand seat with the idea of getting it reshaped to make touching the ground easier. Sold the bike before that happened. I currently have a Hyper and have never had the same issue. I'm a one arse-cheek foot down kinda guy. 178cm, 28 inch inside leg.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 10:40 am

Garage
I'm 59, 5'6 with a 29" inseam. I've got a 1098R as well as a number of bikes which are taller and shorter than the 1098. I used to shy away from bikes where i could not touch toes on both sides at the same time, but learning to ride off road has made me comfortable with tall seat heights. My dirtbike is kick start only with a 37" seat height. I wish I had learned to better deal with tall seats heights years earlier than I did.

If you haven't learned to deal with tall seat heights, then it makes sense to shy away from them. If you want to learn to deal with them, I'd recommend learning to ride a dirtbike. There is a MSF off road beginner's riding course in my area which offers loaner bikes, just like the beginner road course. They teach you how to cross a telephone pole, how to deal with slick surfaces, how to slide the rear to steer and how to deal with not being able to touch both feet to the ground at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode