1098R, what is it really like to own (for the street) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2016, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Garage
1098R, what is it really like to own (for the street)

Overkill, I know, I know.

But what are these like to actually own? Some are tempting on price, less than a new 959, much less a 1299.

Keep in mind I have had an 851 for 20 years so I am no stranger to discomfort and ridiculous maintenance schedules.

The R just seems to have an intangible wow factor that an S simply doesn't. Although I assume a 1198S would be very similar to ride.

Curious if anyone has actually had one, or could argue an 1198S is actually a better bike to own on the street.

BTW, talking about '08 models. Personally don't care for the '09 Bayliss paint scheme.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 4:52 am

While I can't help you with info on a 1098R, how do you classify 851 as uncomfortable?????? They're great, try a 916/996 if you want uncomfortable!!
Stick, johnnie27, zambony and 1 others like this.

1992 Ducati 900 SS
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
While I can't help you with info on a 1098R, how do you classify 851 as uncomfortable?????? They're great, try a 916/996 if you want uncomfortable!!
I bought the 851 when I was 23. Now 44, not the same body for sure. I can do about an hour on it at a time.

Took my 999 on a 220 mile ride this past weekend, only a little sore Sunday.

Never had a 916 or 1098 family machine, but will some day. 998 are also cheap as chips these days for what you get.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 7:28 am

I have a 1098R from 2008, it is purely a weekend toy and does the occasional track day. Meaning I can't really comment on how it tolerates traffic.

Comfort wise the 1098R is similar to my 996R (the newer bike is probably a little roomier), however the 1298cc engine vibrates noticeably more than the 998cc testrastretta fitted to the 996R (which basically the same engine fitted to your 999) - the older machine is a smoother ride. Interestingly the older machine also feels a little more lively too (more responsive to throttle input) however when you want to go fast, the 1098R is noticeably quicker. Recognise that my 996R has dialled cams and is tuned to perfection, to date I've been too lazy to do the same to the 1098R (when it next needs a valve adjustment I'll get around to it) so it may run more smoothly in the future.

Hope this helps,

Andrew...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 11:58 am
Senior Narcissista

Garage
Only downside I can think of 1098R to 1198S is the valve service. Reason is the R uses special shims and is much more of a hassle to adjust the closers on plus you need to find a stealership that carries the shims and got the know how. Else 1098 chassis is very easy to work on, simple electricals yet it delivers top imo!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2016, 4:39 am

allegedly there was an issue with them not returning to idle. i had one come in with that issue but the owner let me get halfway through fixing it (modding ecu file) then went elsewhere.

that bike also had tight valves at one point, another issue i'm told with the ti valves. wouldn't start one day, had lots of leak down, valves were tight in guides.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Only downside I can think of 1098R to 1198S is the valve service. Reason is the R uses special shims and is much more of a hassle to adjust the closers on plus you need to find a stealership that carries the shims and got the know how. Else 1098 chassis is very easy to work on, simple electricals yet it delivers top imo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradblack View Post
allegedly there was an issue with them not returning to idle. i had one come in with that issue but the owner let me get halfway through fixing it (modding ecu file) then went elsewhere.

that bike also had tight valves at one point, another issue i'm told with the ti valves. wouldn't start one day, had lots of leak down, valves were tight in guides.
Didn't realise the R has a different shim package to the other 1098 series bikes. We raced on for a couple of years & did all our own rebuilds & service.
We didn't have any issues with valves either Brad apart from the usual service a race motor requires.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 9:40 am
shark wrangler

Yes I've owned both the 1098R and S and they are very different bikes. The engine in the R has very little in common with the standard 1098 Engine and you absolutely feel the difference in the way it rides and the way it handles. I personally would not buy an R for everyday street riding. The design is dedicated to running flat out for short periods and then being rebuilt. Thats what you do with race bikes. The top three gears are very tall and not much use on public roads but great for triple digits on the track.

Do some research and you will find that what you are looking at with an R is not designed to be ridden at legal speeds or in traffic. different brakes, suspension, engine, frame geometry and none of it good for riding on the street.

Having said all of that the bike is sublime to ride at the track. At 100mph + the suspension starts to work like it should and at around 140 the gearing becomes appropriate. The engine is beyond smooth and powerful and you feel the balance and sophistication. On one hand there's nothing else like it if you want to feel what a real WSBK motorcycle is like, on the other hand its a horrible bike to deal with in the real world of traffic and laws.

I'm glad I got to experience it but I'd only recommend it if you only plan on a couple of canyons rides and a few track days every so often. Which is exactly how I used mine and eventually why I sold it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030048 s.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	757721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059 small.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	757729  
paulmm600 likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Oct 22nd, 2016 at 2:49 pm.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 9:44 am
shark wrangler

You can read more impressions of owning the bike from me and other owners in this thread: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...barn-find.html

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 12:45 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
You can read more impressions of owning the bike from me and other owners in this thread: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...barn-find.html
I was just going to ask if that was the one you found on Craigslist... That was a great thread of an amazing find.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode