Differences between a 998 and a 998S? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Differences between a 998 and a 998S?

Okay so I own a 998 but I was curious what the differences are between the 998 and the 998S.

So far the only things I've been able to find are the bottom of the fairings has a black (possibly carbon fiber piece), the mirrors are painted to match the body, some of the pictures I've seen they have a carbon fiber front fender (though this could be aftermarket), and that is it...

I would have thought they would have had Ohlins front forks but they don't. All of the 998 models had an Ohlins rear shock cause mine is a regular 998 and it has the Ohlins shock.

So what are the differences if anyone knows? I'm sure as heck finding very few differences, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Nevermind... Looks like I found it on Ducati's website...

Significant evolution vs. the 996S, the 2002 is equipped with a 136 hp “testastretta” engine as fitted to last year’s flagship 996R.

The new “S” model Testastretta engine delivers the extraordinary power and performance of its renowned predecessor, the 996R. Included is the Corse extended crankcase sump - for positive lubrication no matter the acceleration or lean angle.
Fully-adjustable Showa front forks and an Ohlins rear shock let you lean-in and power-out confidently in the turns.

Normally costly extras are standard on the 998S.
An Ohlins steering damper keeps the front end stable.
A carbon fibre radiator shroud and lower fairing is light and racy.
The picture is completed by gorgeous Marchesini wheels.
Finally up-front, stopping your 998S is a pair of Brembo Corse P3/34 four-pad calipers gripping new lighter discs.

Some of that is pointless to list though because even the regular 998 had Marchesini wheels and Brembo brakes.

How is it that the motor produces more power though? What exactly are the differences in the motor aside from the oil sump?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:25 am

The 998 s engines have différent from 998: titan rods, deep sump and cam shaft from 996R .

996r engines are the same than 998s engines the only différence is the "sand made" for the 996R series and a the few first series of 998s.

Panigale Stocksport race bike

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 4:40 am
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
Is it so? Are you sure?

I believe the US version of the 998s was NOT delivered with the deepsump S engine like the one we got in europe. The EU spec 998S has the same engine as the 996R, but i seem to recall thet the US spec 998S didn´t get that, but only the normal 998 engine.

That´s what they did with the 996S.. The EU got the SPS spec engine and the US got the base 996 engine.

It was so long ago it was discussed that i can´t remember.. Easy to check.. Just go out to the bike and see if it has the deep V sump engine or not.
The deep sump sticks down like a V at the botom of the engine.

//amullo

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:33 am

I thought the only difference in the "S" model was the front Ohlins forks for the U.S. spec?

Motorcycling is “Art in Motion”

2005 Black Ducati 999S

2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000: "SOLD"
2002 Yellow Ducati 998: "SOLD"
2002 Yellow Aprilia RSV Mille R: "SOLD"
2002 Yellow Suzuki TLR “custom sport bike/195rwhp /N.O.S." "SOLD"

Armin van Buuren "State of Trance any year, get it!"
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 1:22 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullo View Post
Is it so? Are you sure?

I believe the US version of the 998s was NOT delivered with the deepsump S engine like the one we got in europe. The EU spec 998S has the same engine as the 996R, but i seem to recall thet the US spec 998S didn´t get that, but only the normal 998 engine.

That´s what they did with the 996S.. The EU got the SPS spec engine and the US got the base 996 engine.

It was so long ago it was discussed that i can´t remember.. Easy to check.. Just go out to the bike and see if it has the deep V sump engine or not.
The deep sump sticks down like a V at the botom of the engine.

//amullo
I believe your correct Amullo. The differences lie in the EPA restrictions of the time. Europe got the more powerful motors and this had been true in previous introductions as well. If you look at the HP ratings at the time, they correspond in the 998 series to the later 999 series. A Euro spec 136HP 998S eventually became a 999S deep sump motor and the US 998S became the base 999 for 03 with 123-124HP. I don't know for sure but I believe Ducati was able to overcome the EPA restrictions with a universal spec bike in the 999. PT made a real effort to launch a conforming bike in the 999 that would be acceptable right off the line worldwide. This philosophy was addressed more than a few times in the book, "999, birth of a legend". I keep saying that book was one of the most interesting reads, the type you couldn't put down. I'm sure it helped I had just bought a 999S so I was personally involved. Even without the bike the book looks into the inner workings, relationships and day to day design activity of PT and his team. I gave the book to the guy who bought my 999S and it was kind of strange because instead of being slightly appreciative or even excited about this gift, he said "OK". Maybe he was still in Lala land from just buying a mint condition 999S and the book was happenstance to him. I'm sure once he cracks the cover he will discover the same things I did, I'll leave it at that.

I now kind of regret giving the book away and I might start looking for another one. The above book was sold to me reasonable by Chuckracer (I think it was Chuckracer, or was it Rainman?). I'll look for another one since I now have the 999R in the garage. The book doesn't talk specifically about the different models, treating them all the same.

Got off topic, sorry about that. BTW, for those new with deep sump motors, make sure if you are loading your bike on a trailer, in particular an enclosed trailer, put a block of wood or something else under the end of the ramp in order to decrease the ramp angle. If you don't you will bottom out by striking the deepest part of the sump. You don't want what I call "stupid damage" (self induced) to your bike.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.

Last edited by John; Mar 29th, 2009 at 1:28 pm.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Apart from the deep sump does anyone know what the other differences were that would account for the additional HP frm the Eurospec engine?

Matchman...This Pig Flies

04 998S FE
06 ST1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in