Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

All these low mileage panigales?

5K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  58 burst 
#1 ·
Everywhere I go I see next to brand new panigales for sale with not more than 2k miles on them. You guys getting sick of your bikes already? Some even with less than 1k miles, they havent even broken in the bike yet and are already selling at a substantial loss. I put 800 miles a month on my bike and I dont do any street riding. Just track and twisties

#4 ·
I went through a version of this in March when I thought I would get a dirt bike again after 25 years. I am convinced my YZ450F is going to put me in the hospital. Very humbling experience. Weather permitting, taking pictures for the craigslist ad tonight.

If you were a street rider and away from bikes for some time, or even worse a new rider, I would think a 200hp sportbike would be terrifying.

#3 ·
Haha SO TRUE!! Last week I stood waiting at my local ducati dealer in belgium, awaiting a replacement monster 750 as my 999 had some fork issue. Anyway, he told me the scramblers are selling as crazy because they are so rideable. He hopes they would come in 450cc so people finally get to ride them again. And not to the cafe and back!!! I must say the M750 was very fun to ride and commute with to work..

#5 ·
Why does everyone day 200 hp bike is terrifying. It only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. When i got on my 1199 it felt just like my 848. Perhaps even easier to ride. I was afraid to ride it as well but not because I felt like it had to much power but because it has brand new tires and I didnt wanna crash a 25k bike

#6 · (Edited)
I think most people are fiscally retarded also... like:

"Dude I just got the sickest bike available, its so badass!" ... then soon realize they'll being paying $500/month for the next 5 years ($330 payment + $130 insurance) and meanwhile they can't even afford to fix that leaky sunroof on their used Audi A4.

So they decide to sell the bike, eat a few thousand dollars in depreciation, and try to craigslist their barely used Ducati apparel.

OR

Someone with plenty of money buys it immediately after passing the MSF class, gets scared in an intersection once, and the bike sits in their garage for two years until they sell it.

Either way, good deals for us!
>:)

#7 ·
Absolutely the most fun bike I've been on when I'm in the mood for a performance machine, but its not my only bike and it's not a great "casual ride round the neighborhood' tool. I'm glad I have a lower key bike in my arsenal.

Maybe folks convince themselves it'd be a good all a-rounder?

#9 · (Edited)
I've got a co-worker with a very low mileage 999 who's thinking about selling it because he's afraid to ride it. That bike I can sort of understand... no electronic assists, twitchy throttle, dry clutch to get used to, and damn fast even if not 1299 fast.

I'd think with all the nanny gadgets turned up the Panigale would be as tame as a kitten... the Multi certainly is. Of course it'd be a lot less fun to ride like that...

Maybe it's after the first time they go squiding in their jeans and burn their ass in slow traffic...

As for me... a 1299 would be intimidating... but not nearly as much as a no-nanny 999. I guess I've played around with the excellent software on the Multi and I'm guessing you can dial the 1299 back to the point that you'd have time to get used to it before turning up the knobs.

Reactions: danaid
#11 ·
This post supports my contention for the past few years. Eventually the mindset of most riders will be there are two kinds of bikes: aided and unwanted. Those that came before electronic aids will be seen as dangerous and very undesirable, because aids are all they have ever known. Market for these old bikes will be relegated to older riders and younger buyers without the budget to afford a newer nanny-filled machine. So bring on the $2000 999, 998, 1098, etc :)

I had a 999 and at 125 hp it was plenty fast for the street, never once thought about it not having ABS, TC, wheelie control, etc. Not one single time, even in the occasional downpour.

#13 ·
Ducati aggressively courts a different customer than it did say 15 years ago. Starting with the press releases around the Desmosedici, it was all about the celebrities that were buying the bikes. Does any other bike company do that? How long did those celeb's keep their bikes?

In the end, maybe that's a good thing, they take the hit on depreciation and the bike is hardly broken in and certainly not riden hard.

#15 ·
Go back through Ducati forums over the years and you can find this general thread for every superbike they've ever produced.

Fantasy doesn't match reality. For the majority of the people out there, superbikes suck on the street. The fantasy is it's going to be this awesome bike with unbelievable performace and yadda yadda yadda. The reality is it's uncomfortable in traffic, isn't fun to ride at legal speeds, and needs tires every 2500 miles. It's probably not an only bike. The the other bike is more comfortable. The other bike handles traffic better, the slow speeds, the stop and go. The other bike can be left places with no worries. The other bike gets ridden half the time, then most of the time, then virtually all the time.

200hp and nanny electronics and all the rest is just the current excuse. You can still buy 851s with under 10,000 miles on them, I DID just buy an 851 with under 10,000 miles on it. The last owner put 500 miles on it over the ten years he had it. I've got a 996 that has gone years between rides.

Low mile, near new Superbikes for sale has been around for as long as superbikes have existed, and I'll bet the same thing happened before that too. And not just with Ducatis.

Fantasy doesn't match the reality. Happens with bikes, happens with cars, happens with a whole lot of things. Typical excuses, bought a house, getting married, 100hp scares him, 200hp scares him, whatever. It's always something.

#19 ·
The reality is it's uncomfortable in traffic, isn't fun to ride at legal speeds, and needs tires every 2500 miles. .
I think your points are spot on, but this argument is not limited to superbikes, it applies to most motorcycles and certainly most Ducati's. Every one of the detractors above is true of my GT1000 as well. Some folks just aren't into bikes enough to work thru it.

What motorcycle is fun in traffic at legal speeds?

#17 ·
We are definitely in the age of Digital bikes vs Analog bikes. Same can be said with performance cars. I think the greatest visceral sensation is to be had on an analog bike, pre software nannies, when your senses and the feedback from the machine are mandatory for your survival. Big hp machines with sophisticated software are hands down faster, but more enjoyable? Depends on your goals and what makes you get on a bike in the first place. Different tools for different needs.

#18 ·
I think that's what happened with the previous owner of my Monster... he was on dirt bikes his entire youth, bought the 796 as his first street bike and rode it about a year and then parked it. It sat in the garage for almost 2 years until I bought it off him at a fair price (he's a friend of mine.) I think either he scared himself on it, or realized it wasn't the thing to drive when he would go out and party... and perhaps those two thought occurred concurrently. I also told him right after he bought it that maybe he should have picked a different bike as his first street bike... but then I probably wouldn't have a Monster setting in my garage.

My first big bike was a '93 CBR1000F... 130hp. Once I got used to the size, I never really scared myself on it; granted, I wouldn't consider it a true 'superbike.' I don't know if 200hp would change my mind or not.

#35 ·
In Japan many Ducati owners are peak career executives, they buy the newest model every two years, and trade in the last one for pennies. Those sell second hand in the dealers. Two years later the not quite so rich trade those in. At 4 years old no dealers want to sell them in their showrooms so they go to trade auctions. Independent smaller dealers buy them to order for their customers very cheap. My one man band dealer does this, and his customers get great deals. Including me.
Mileage is often so low that you are concerned that the bike might not run well as it has barely been used from new.
Second hand equals junk in Japanese mentality. In Tokyo you pay a lot of money to have junk disposed of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
For sure fear is a big sale factor , 200 hp motorcycle should command respect . I would be scared of 200 hp simple I'm not capable of piloting one my 999s has plenty and more for me . I would think most of these bikes scared the hell into a lot of the buyers , kinda cool to own a 200 or so hp Ducati not so cool looking like a fool trying to ride .

Disclaimer , none of the above theories have been tested on caged animals .

Reactions: ProphetPVD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.