749 vs 848 evo or 899/959 as a daily driver. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By PhilBoncer
  • 1 Post By otter1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

749 vs 848 evo or 899/959 as a daily driver.

Hello forum. I currently ride a 2006 749 as a daily driver (city/freeway) and canyon bomber/carver. I love the bike but am racking up miles and will eventually want to try something else. So far this bike is amazing in the city and traffic. I am wondering how the 848 evo and 899 compare in city driving, in terms of low-rpm fueling and how the engine makes power across the RPM band. I hear the 749 is very linear, no surprises in power anywhere, very predictable. I guess that's why it's working so well for me. From what I've read, the 848 evo requires much more clutch-feathering and throttle off the line and in traffic. Not sure if this is because the low-RPM fueling is subpar or because the 848 evo is focusing its power on the upper end of the RPM-band verses being predictable and linear, or a combination of those two factors. I hear the 899 has great low-RPM fueling even though it too makes most of its power in the upper RPM range verses being more linear like the 749. Anyways, would like to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 6:43 pm

My advice, if you love the bike and it continues to do what you want/need it to do, is to keep racking up the miles. No need to go looking for trouble. There's no reason why that bike wouldn't rack up as many miles as you could possibly want, if you ride it often and maintain it reasonably well.

I've been riding my '93 Monster M900 daily since I bought it new. That's over 22 years now. I love the bike, and it continues to do what I want/need it to do. I just turned over 250K on it. I plan to ride it until it blows up.

PhilB
DragonBSG75 likes this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Phil - I saw your bike on ducati island at the Austin moto GP!

Re the O.P.'s question- all are fine but none are "commuters". The monsters are better for that role IMHO.

I had a 749 dark which I traded in for a 848 evo. I used to commute to work a 2-3 days each week when the weather was nice and my schedule allowed (I have car that I use mostly now).

Both bikes got the job done without issues. The 848 Evo is more powerfull but I had no throttle problems and felt the engine was really quite smooth.

I miss the 749. I sold the 848 evo without regrets.
PhilBoncer likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 9:42 am

Garage
The 899 is more comfortable then the 848 by a long shot, but for long rides you still need a comfort seat, the stock seat sucks..

YouTube: Canadian Rider
Weapon of choice: Ducati 899 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode