Red key question - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:46 pm

As i have replied before, look for post, you can get Silca blanks and copy off black key. Done it, works aok and cost less than $30. Red key is not required.

As for the guy who paid $3K for dash etc, he got ripped. Did he not look at aftermarket ECUs. Some real good ones out there at a lot less that that. They disable the stupid immobiliser and let you retain all your standard locks dash etc. Plus give you adjustable mapping.

How many people have had there bike breakdown and required the red key? The 999 above is the first time I have read of one.

Also I thought the dealer could reset immobilser with Nemesis(?) anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

nemesis

My dealer said he could now make extra black keys function without the red key. He also suggested the Nemesis system could be used if the bike became immobilized. He quoted it was available for about $1200.

The 749 dark I am looking at is a 2005 with 7500 miles. The wholesaller is askinhg $5000. I would be willing to pay ~4250.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 2:01 pm

sounds like a good deal, ask the dealer to check if the belts on the bike were changed (visual inspection). The $1200 nemesis back-up plan is when the black key stops working. The black key can stop working if it somehow got ESDed.. spare black keys should help. Let's say that your luck ran out, and all the black keys stop working, and you don't feel like buying a nemisis ecu... part out the bike and you should break even, if not making money...

'07 'nelli TnT Sport
'00 ape RS250

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Location: Rio Frio in the heart of the Texas hill country, Texas, USA
I had a Nemesis installed a couple weekends ago and no more red key imobilizer BS issues. It also bypasses the servo assisted starter on my bike and is far superior IMO to the DP ECU in terms of programability, mapping and fine tuning.
I didn't plan on a new ECU but after we found a ground short in the DP one I decided to upgrade. So far so good. I was told there have been some issues with the DP units but can't speak from experience. I do like having two maps to choose from and being able to switch on the fly is a bit of a kick too. Good luck.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:17 am
Senior Narcissista

Garage
Or you can have the bikes ecu reprogrammed, immobilizer deactivated www.hypertrick.net
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:36 am

When I took my 999 for 6K service to my dealer, they noticed that the immobilizer function was not working, bike still ran fine though. So he asked me to bring my Red key and both black keys and it took about 15 minutes to reprogram all of them.

~Chris

2004 999 Mono (Termi slip-ons, 14T, various CF parts, Pazzo Levers, Sargent)
2007 800SS (Fender Elim, DP Signal Mirrors, Helibars)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye1138 View Post
If it was stolen, condition is everything. For all you know, it was sunk in a river, cleaned up on the outside but in 3 months, need a new motor! heh

Just be careful... Saving a few bux up front, usually means spending tuns of money in the back end. I've been down that road 2 times, won't do it again.
TWICE

__________________________________________________ ______
if you need to know... ask...

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Sorry,

Got a question. What if you do not have a red key but have numerous black keys (all that work) and the code card with the key code? Would this code be able to get things back to normal if a reprogramming was required?

Mark

Past: '02 st4s, '06 Multi 620, '06 749s, '08 Multi 1100s, '09 Monster 1100s, '11 Triumph 675r, Present: '11 Multi 1200s (Full Termi, ECU, White, etc), '14 Multi s touring
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:55 pm

if your programming a new ECU/dash, you need the red key and two black keys for the process. You also need the red key to program new black keys. There are two codes on the card, one is the mechanical code for having a new key cut (pretty sure only European locksmiths can take that code and cut a new key), and an electronic code that is used to disable the immobilizer for diagnostics

so unless you get an aftermarket ECU/something to disable the immobilizer completely, you'd need the red key (and two black keys) to program a dash/ECU or program new black keys.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 3:38 pm

Cool

As of late, the red key isn't any more of an issue than a bike needing a new rear tire.

Options for no red key bikes:
-Have immobilizer function disabled: $100-$200
-Upgrade ECU
-Have spare black keys cut ($30 Silca key with transponder, or a $50 eBay key if you really want the ducati symbol on your key) The red key is not required for new black keys, only one other black key is required.

And the best option:
-Nothing.

The red key is only needed when replacing the ECU or motor. It hasn't been *needed* to sync new black keys since I started researching buying a ducati. There's a local shop that said $45 per key and the ecu will recognize the new keys as if they were the original. He has done multiple keys for ducati owners without the need of a red key.

Having said all that, I think it's a good chance for you to try and knock down the price. People that don't know that the missing red key isn't a huge deal might think it's a huge deal. A lot of people think that no red key=$3,000. That's insane. It actually means $100 or maybe $200, granted, you may have to pay for shipping to Sweden, Germany or England and not ride your bike for 1-2 weeks... but still.... $100 actual cost vs $3,000 assumed cost by the seller, and you've got yourself a great bargaining point.

Unless, of course, the seller is reading this thread and getting informed themselves...

Lastly, bypassing the transponder/immobilizer issue has been posted about on unnamed sites by un named users... and those threads have been deleted due to theifs discovering the "secret" and then stealing ducatis or something... but if you took the time to research, you'd find that the red key is easily bypassed. I'll say no more on that topic!!

Austin

2003 749s mono
Carbon: rear hugger, heel guards, heat shield, muffler cover, exhaust cover, key guard, clutch cover
MPL slave cylinder
5,800 miles and for sale on Craigslist Los Angeles: $6,999

Jeremiah 9:23-24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode