Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Front stand for 999?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ray916mn 
#1 ·
What are you guys running for front stands for your 999? I need a stand that lifts from the bottom of the triple trees (not just the bottom of the forks) and from what I can tell the only stand that works on these bikes (in that manner at least) is the Pit Bull Ducati Hybrid Dual Lift front stand.

It's quite pricey at $294, so I thought I would ask around and see what others are using.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
you're a dick sometimes jonny. not used one yet but i recon one of those stands that lift the bike from the engine and swinger mounts is the go. pricey, but you can do things that other stands wont let you. like change steering head bearings. and pull the shock out.

#4 ·
I use an FG brand, sold in the Ducati Performance catalog, worm gear front lift. It is perfect. You can fine tune the height and it lifts from under the triple. If i need to remove the clamps for bearing service, I just block the engine. I don't know what they cost, but in 2001 when I got my 900SSie it was an anniversary year and the deal was $500.00 in accessories from the DP catalog. For the money I got this stand, a DSSA rear stand, 14T front sprocket and the open air box top with filter. Given that, my guess it was nowhere near the price of the Pit Bull stand you referenced.

#8 ·
I have the pit bull, you can't go wrong with it! If you don't want the hybrid, you can just get the one that lift's it from the forks.

#9 ·
Well, initially I wanted one that lifted it by the front triple so I could remove the forks if need be. However, the more I think about it the more I think it might be nice to have some sort of stand that lifts the bike in such a way that I could take off the entire front end (triples and all) if need be. However, I'm not sure if that sort of stand exists, and if so, who makes it...

#12 ·
I think the first thing you need to consider is what you'll most commonly need to use a stand for and whether you want to get a stand for more than just a 999 and whether you'll ever want to use a lift table. The only time I have a use for supporting the bike by the frame or motor is when I need to service the steering head bearings. Most commonly, I only need to lift the front end to change tires so all I need is a fork lift.

I use a Pit-Bull Hybrid for removing the front wheel and fork legs. For removing the entire front end, I use an engine hoist. Others use tie downs around the frame hung from ceiling rafters, or large ladders, or cages out of pipe after a stand is used to lift the front wheel off the ground. Others buy lift stands like the MOTOMFG.COM or Bursig which lifts from one side of the middle of the frame. While stands like the MotoMFG have advantages (eg. lift both wheels off the ground at the same time, while allowing the removal of the wheels, front/rear suspension, steering stem, wheels and allowing the bike to be moved around while disassembled) they also have drawbacks (won't fit on most lifts, blocks access to the left side which precludes some services and requires $75 bike specific adapter plates).

The Pit Bull Hybrid stand can be used to lift the front wheel off the ground of virtually any bike. The lift arm that fits on top of the base so you can lift from under the triple trees, is Ducati specific, but Pit Bull also sells an arm that can be fitted with a variety of pins so that other bikes can be lifted from under the triple trees. The Pit Bull stands are economically usable for a wide variety of bikes. I've got a number of their stands.

My 916 has been sitting on a Pit Bull Hybrid front for 2 or 3 months and is stable enough to be moved around the shop on the lift table.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.