Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

socket size for 996 tire changing

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  crashedduc 
#1 ·
I am doing my first tire change. I have a ducati workshop manual.

I am pretty sure the front axle bolt is a 28mm size

I am not sure on the rear. is it 41mm or 42mm

can someone help by confirming the correct socket size for removing front and rear axle nuts.

#3 ·
I had a hard time finding the millimeter sockets but found inches in stock at Sears....

41mm = 1-5/8"
46mm = 1-13/16"

hope that helps....

#4 ·
socket size

thanks so much. that makes sense the socket side is smaller, I was not picking that up in the manual. the two sides are different. thanks for the conversion to SAE.

I have a sears and a very good NAPA close by. I will call both.

#8 ·
DukeDesmo said:
I understand that 46mm is used for the Rear wheel hub nuts on various VW vans and also on BMW 3 series cars.

There's always plenty for sale on ebay (UK) for anything between $10 - $20.
Get the impact socket, I once attempted to remove that sucker by hand. It involved a large breaker bar, 4' pipe, and a friend holding the front end down while my wife stood on the rear break.

With an impact gun, it takes all of 5 seconds.

-CC

#10 ·
When you get the "big" 46mm socket, take it to a machineshop and ask them to cut down the outer most part of the sleeve about 1/8" (look inside the socket. The first 1/8 or 1/16" is flared).

The grip part is usually grinded down/flared to help you to slip the socket over bolts/nuts more easily, but that also reduces the friction. You need that friction since the nut is so shallow. Grinding the "flared" part of the socket off gives you more friction.

Attachments

#11 ·
axle nut size

thanks for all the help. rims are removed, and rear tire has been changed, and front will be changed tonight.

My son comes home tomorrow to see the bike for the first time

tonight i finish the CF chain/rear hugger install
we had the mirror housing painted to match the bike, so have to install the glass
install the rear tire
install the rear clear turn signals (front are done)
install the new front tire and install on bike
if it is not raining, i will take the bike out and scrub in the tires

then Ryan arrives tomorrow at 5am in the morning, and on Friday we leave for 3 days of GA mountain riding.

First time I have seen him since he left for Iraq Sept 15, 2005

thanks to all for your help. This is my first ducati, and I really wanted to get it perfect for him.

Also good comments on The Ducshop, marietta, GA. they did a great job getting all the parts, and did a full 6000k tune up.

Bike runs great, looks great, and Ryan should be very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.