2006 749 Engine won't start, battery or fuel pump issue? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation 2006 749 Engine won't start, battery or fuel pump issue?

Today my new 2006 749 was delivered to me after it was shipped cross country.

The bike apparently started fine before it left, and was even ridden by the truck driver to get it to the loading spot for pickup, but now a week and a half later the bike doesn't start at delivery, just turns over a bunch of times.

It has a new battery (before being shipped), and the voltage reading when i first looked today was 11.6

Are Ducs difficult to start without the right voltage? Meaning, this is normal and once it goes back up it should start fine? I have a battery charger on it right now and when i plugged it in it said the battery was at 25% Of course this was after trying to start it a million times earlier, and we used a "jump box" the driver had in his truck. The 25% climbed within about 10 minutes to 70% and it seems to have been there for a while. In understand a full charge can take 10+ hours, so i will leave it like that overnight (charging at 2 amps). The battery charger's manual said cars usually start when they reach the 77% mark. I just tried it again before i went to bed at 70% and same problem.

One thing i did notice though is that i've never heard the fuel pump prime. I saw in a you tube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p22vH...eature=related) that it was supposed to prime. Is that true for all 749's, or just some. All but Darks? I talked with the previous owner and he never noticed any noise when switching the key to "on".

The dealer recommended checking fuses and connections after that. I've checked many of the apparent plugs with the left fairing off, but i'm not quite sure where the fuse box is. Anyone have a pic?

in all cases its still covered under warranty, and if these quick fixes don't work its getting dropped off at the dealer tomorrow. I hope its just that easy...

Let me know what you all think...thanks!

2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
2006 Ducati 749 Dark - Just got it!
2005 Honda Shadow - Sold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:11 am

batterys are very picky. let it get a full charge .theres fuses on the right side of the headlight ,and you can hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on for a second or so.

giallo 949- impractical,irrational,irresistible ,2017 Vertigo combat,2017 beta 300rr race ,2016 Husky 701 sm, all in all ,my version of garage nirvana
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Still won't start with 100%

That's the thing actually, i do NOT hear it. i kinda hear the relays and TACH turn on, but not a fuel pump.

It had a 100% charge this morning, and was staying constant at 12.6, but with one push of the button it would just keep cranking automatically until it gave up.

I was careful not to flood it, but after a few tries i think that's out the window anyway. I first tried without the "choke", and then with. I also noticed that at the slightest bit of throttle when it cranks it sounds different...better...like it wants to start more, but nothing.

I have a 2004 manual (PDF), so i've identified a few fuses. I'm going back outside to see if i can take a look at them.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:04 am

I am not sure what a "jump box" is, but I can guess, and I guess it's about 300 amps. I wonder if you fried something?

Easy enough to check for fuel, by pulling a spark plug if nothing else. Check for spark at the same time. As you'll see when you read the manual, there is a "cold start" lever that can be used. Also, I am sure you know that these bikes have a servo start system whereby you do not hold the start button, you simply depress it once and let go.

L
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Fuses are good

Yeah, i checked all the fuses and they look fine. The 4 on the right side by the headlight, the two by the battery and the huge one below the battery.

ST3S, i could have fried something i guess. i don't know anything about spark plugs and i'm running out of ideas, i think it's past the "easy fix" stage.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:04 am

That pump should prime as soon as you turn on the key. If your pump is not priming then I think you've identified the issue, now you need to find out why the pump is not operating. More than likely something got knocked loose in shipping and hopefully it will be a simple fix. Check the fuel assembly connection plug under the tank on the left side of the bike to make sure its not loose and that no wires are damaged. If all that is fine then use a multi meter to see if you're getting power to the lead to the pump from the harness. The power is a bit odd, the power to the pump only lasts a second or two prior to start then shuts off until the bike is started. So if you're not getting that initial power to the plug then I'd look at the fuel pump relay. If you are getting power at the plug then you need to inspect and test the pump assembly.

"My father would want me to be firm in the right, as he always was. The author of all things watches over me......and I have a good horse." Mattie Ross (True Grit)

“Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.” Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan

"Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

'11 Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.
’03 749 Biposto “Rosa”.
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"(SOLD)
'09 Honda Rebel 250
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am Thread Starter

B_Cebrian that was a really great response. Thanks.

I'll try that later today when i have more time.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:47 am

Thumbs up

Along this line of thinking, the relay for the fuel pump is located near the oil cooler, basically on the left - front side of the bike and below the battery. It's position exposes it to the elements, which can cause it to fail. I have had to replace the the relay on my '05 - it's an $8.00 item at the NAPA auto parts store.

Fun stuff, huh?

Lar.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Dealer

well, after all that i dropped it at the dealership this morning. My friend let me borrow his trailer so it worked out well.

It's been VERY busy for me the past few days, because i'm an active duty Marine taking classes full time at The Citadel. Finals are this week and i just don't have the time to learn how to tinker with my new bike.

Hopefully they will discover the problem quickly and fix it under warranty. I hope its not something stupid and i get charged for it, i think i took all the necessary precautions.

Thanks for all your help, and i'll keep ya posted.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Please do, you most likely did the right thing. As long as it's under warranty let the dealers trouble shoot the beast. You'll have time later to learn the bike.

"My father would want me to be firm in the right, as he always was. The author of all things watches over me......and I have a good horse." Mattie Ross (True Grit)

“Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.” Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan

"Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

'11 Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.
’03 749 Biposto “Rosa”.
'93 Katana 600 "Rat Kat"(SOLD)
'09 Honda Rebel 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode