Ducati 748B question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Ducati 748B question

I am a new member thinking about purchasing a Ducati Motorcycle. It is a 2000 Ducati 748 Biposto 10K miles. The guy that has it is my cousins friend hes asking 4500 for it. My question are:

1. Is the purchase price for the bike ok? The bike has a Forza exhaust (claims its a full exhaust) and many carbon fiber parts but most of the parts are fading.

1. How reliable would this bike be if it has been maintained (he says he has taken it to the dealer and gotten it serviced) I will be riding it a couple of times a week short trips no more than 5- 10 miles

2. Will I be shelling out all my money trying to get it fixed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:31 pm

By 10,000 miles it should have eaten a few Cam rockers by now, check the maintenance records.
See if he has replaced the clutch yet. When was the last time the cam belts were changed.

As reviewing the maintenance report should show most of these things, if not you could be in for a $1000-1300.00 service

Average price w/ up to date maintenance

Cheers
Mark

2003 Ducati ST4S (Yellow, the faster color)
2014 Beta 450RS (Latest Italian dirty girl)
2008 Aprilia RXV550 (Sold the Beast)
2006 Ducati 999s (Sold)
2001 Ducati 996 SPS (Crashed)
2001 Ducati 748-890 (Sold)
1997 Ducati 748 (Sold)
1993 Ducati 888SPO (Crashed)
Too much Jap or British crap to mention!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:36 pm

junhus,

I bought my 2001 748 two years ago. It had 7000 miles on it and i paid $7k. The only mods were termi slip ons and a power commander. Its seems your price is fair. I am no expert though.
I now have 12k on the bike and in terms of reliability it has been great. The guy i bought my bike from had all service records. Make sure that this seller has them for you to look at. One thing you will hear over and over on this board is make sure the services have been done by reputable shops and have proper documents.

There are some issues with this year duc, like flaking rockers. I am sure the next few who respond will add more detail.
Hope this helps.

Pete

2001 748

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

nice to see u guys take care of your new members. Thanks so much for the quick input.

Im pretty sure the clutch hasnt been changed and no MAJOR maintenence has been done on the bike. Im gonna ask him for the service records to see if the belts, clutch, and the valves have been adjusted. Also the cam rockers.

If nothing has been done in gonna ask him to lower the price at least to 4K so I have some more money to get things checked and fixed.

Would 4K for the bike be a good deal? If the bike hasnt been regularly maintained, or should i just pick up a R6 or GSXR and avoid all the trouble
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Make sure you ride it. You may not even like a 748 versus some of the other bikes.
$4k for a 2000 748 is a very good price, providing the services have been done. If they haven't been done, see if he'd agree to a rocker check.

Jimmy
Go Gators
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I think this is a great price for a 748. A rocker check could be a little expensive at the dealer with everything that has to come off the bike to get to them. If there are no service records I would strongly suggest either having the bike checked out. I did not do this, was told the 6K mile service was done & the timing belts broke 2K miles later. Turns out the belts were never changed. I rebuilt the engine myself, so if you are strapped for cash I would be happy to help/teach you how to change belts and check the valve clearances. Not sure where the bike is located in Chicago, but if you would like me to take a look at it with you I could do that as well, as long as it is not too far away. PM me if you are interested. BTW there is a local Ducati group here called DRILL (Ducati Riders of IL).

MiG
1998 748 - Track
1985 BMW K100RT - Road

http://www.trackdaymag.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode