916 as my daily - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

916 as my daily

The plan was to use the Monster 620 as the daily commuter and the 916 for fun rides. But when i open up the shed in the morning, i am picking the 916 and the Monster just sits there.
The 916 has 23,000miles. last service was in late 06 @ 19,xxxx miles where the valves where adjusted and the belts replaced. I also had the bike at the local Ducati dealer to give it a good once over when i first got it, and they found nothing wrong other than a blown signal bulb Good to go.

Daily riding last year i racked up a huge total of 3500 miles haha, but i was working out of town alot last year. hoping to hit more than that this year.

The bike is in really nice shape, but is this a good idea? It;s a 10 year old duc with decent miles. If i sell the monster, the 916 has to be reliable. As in nothing major going wrong.
At the end of the season, i'd drop it off with the dealer for another check up maybe a valve adjustment and belts again?

the main reason is insurance on the Monster is $1180/year and the 916 $1400/year
Thats $1180 to have a bike just sit there

i dunno, what do you guys think?

2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R Factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
Ride it or sell it to someone who will!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 8:54 pm

I'm sure with proper maintenance, the 916 has many reliable miles left on her. I think there's quite a few riders here that have racked up 2 or 3 times as many miles (are you just talking miles for our metrically challenged friends? )

You could also just not insure the Monster and just keep it if you're that worried about potential downtime. It's just a phone call to get your insurance back on.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

i have been riding her hence my problem

haha no no, both my bikes i brought up from the US so both in miles, try fiding a canadian 916 or a canadian Dark 02 Monster good luck
I have about 3 weeks left before i have to renew the insurance on the monster. So i guess i'll use this as a test and see how things go

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:19 am
JEC

I did the same thing, I bought a 23000 mile 916 to replace my Suzuki SV as a daily rider. Up until this winter I didn't have a car, so I used it to commute, tour, go shopping, posing at the cafe... :P

It worked okay, the only problem I encountered was my coolant sensors kept burning out due to the constant use in heavy traffic. First my fan switch died, then my coolant temperature sensor (which causes all kind of problems with the fuel injection). I'd replace the belts right off the bat, 2 years max between replacements. And be prepared to dish out some serious money for valve adjustments, the 2v maintenance is cheap as chips compared to the amount of labour needed to adjust a 4v.

Good luck, and have fun. I paid 9000$ for my 916 here in Montreal, and it was a bit tired with a rebuilt title (typical prices in Canada are 10 000-11 000$)- for that kind of money you could find a mint 996 or even a 998 in the US.

Editor, Odd-Bike.com
http://www.odd-bike.com/
'97 916
'06 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor (gone)
'04 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
'87 Honda VFR400R NC24 (gone)
'85 BMW K100RS (gone)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

luckily my commute is almost all traffic free highway.
i rode in today. is it just my bike or is second gear way up there when trying to sift?
Second feels like it should be were neutral is, but it;s one notch higher, if that makes sense
the mirrors royaly suck for watching traffic behind you, espeically while sitting at a light.
I took apart my throttle and got the fast idle button working, so at leat i don;t ahve to hold the throttle anymore to warm it up
It honestly was not as enjoyable as the monster. The mosnter you are sitting up right, and witht he mirrors i can watch for morons
we'll see how the rest of the month goes

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm
Banned

Tough choice... I really enjoy riding my superbike to work. Its fun to tuck in and grab the throttle in your morning commute. I'm gonna probably gonna buy a Monster this year as my daily commuter and keep the 748 as a weekend warrior. The only problem is exactly what Chuck was saying... if your not riding a bike, why bother keeping it! I'm a collector and have a garage big enough to store a few bikes, so its not a big deal. But I'd be riding all 3 of them on a monthly basis... so its different.

I say keep the 916, its plenty reliable for daily riding.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I owned my 916 for 5 years, did ca 20000 km, no bigger problems, just some electrical problems.

I would suggest that the more often you ride your bike, the longer it will last, providing you do your schedule services.

A 916 does not like short rides, where the motor is not properly warmed up, and no traffic please. However, I have to admit the bike is a perhaps not best suited for city commuting.

Sam
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Yep. SBKs are annoying in city traffic.

They get antsy and they beg you to let them stretch their legs...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

'08 Duc 1098s,'08 Husqvarna SM610ie

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Don;t get me wrong, i don;t have to sell either. I have room no prob. it jsut seemed like a waste(money and bike) to have one bike sit and do nothing. I guess i can;t complain, i have a choice of Ducs in the morning haha

The good thing about my ride to and from work is it;s about 25-30min of %90 highway with no traffic. The 916 is waaaay nicer on the highway. @80-90mph i am only at, what was it, 4500rpm? On my 5spd monster i am over 7000rpm

I am going to ride it everday day to work, and get used to it. See how it goes, then i'll make up my mind on the fate of the little Monster.

And it;s not just traffic, it doesn;t like lol. puttering along at 60km/h is damn near impposible. With the mosnter i can rev it out without too much worry about a speeding ticket. no so with the 916.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode