Holiday Gift Idea to all Ducati Members and non-Ducati Alike! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Cool Holiday Gift Idea to all Ducati Members and non-Ducati Alike!

Happy Holidays everyone!

So I have a great solution for you. It is FAST and it is cheap. Run to home depot (or whatever equivalent thing you have), go straight to the plumbing section... ask for 1" pipe and have them thread everything for you!

Make sure to wash the pipes and clean them at home when you actually buy it - they are messy from the oil the place will use to cut and thread them.

Whole thing ran me $29.00, and it is great. Just hang the bike by the frame or the upper triple.

Now you have a way to completely service the front end of your bike without having the trouble of getting a frame lift (that may or may not block the axle). Just remember how much fun it was to play with blocks when we were all kids... we relive those days again - with you own bike jig.

let me know how this turns out!

My Scuderia : 2006 Ducati 749d - Showa TiN forks, Bitubo Steering Dampener, Ohlins rear shock (ARNOLD HASTINGS!!! AMA 2008 ), Dunlop 209/208 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Very nice Rapter, I think I may take it a step beyond by making a cage and bolting it to my lift so I can strap it at any point.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 11:06 pm

What was the length of your top bar? Any issues with bending or bowing at the top or sides when under load?

Looks like a good solution, nice work!

'02/'05 Ducati 998/999R combination
Lots-o-CF & Billet lovin with BST's
More custom parts than I can count

2008 Ducati Concorso Troy Bayless award
"Best Superbike"

Now racing WERA... an addiction worse than crack
The money pit continues...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 3:39 am
dev

I would like to suggest a strut at the base to avoid the risk of the frame spreading eagle. Also if the load is not concentric you may get a some sway.

just a suggestion for added security.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 6:23 am

Good job! I was wondering how much I would be spending just to get the front end off the ground. Now I know. Great gift idea.

998 Monoposto - The final form of a legend
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srg5150 View Post
What was the length of your top bar? Any issues with bending or bowing at the top or sides when under load?

Looks like a good solution, nice work!
The top bar is about 34 inches, I can get the real measurement in the new year. When the bike hangs from it, there is only a slight bow in the bars, and this is really minor - after all it is like 500 lbs hanging off of it.

I would really spend some money on the cranks ties so that it is held securely.

THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE. when I hang the bike I always use a safety... which is comprised of some VERY high strength climbing straps and a d-ring carabiniere.

Click both of these links to know what I am talking about

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1198766045428

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1198766141492

My Scuderia : 2006 Ducati 749d - Showa TiN forks, Bitubo Steering Dampener, Ohlins rear shock (ARNOLD HASTINGS!!! AMA 2008 ), Dunlop 209/208 tires
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
I would like to suggest a strut at the base to avoid the risk of the frame spreading eagle. Also if the load is not concentric you may get a some sway.

just a suggestion for added security.
+1 Dude, when you hang anything like this it is key that the load is centered on the cross beam otherwise when you lift the bike it will sway either into you, away from you, or cause the thing to wobble.

However, when you do see the 1" tubing you will see that it is not very flexible and in fact exhibits a great deal of strength.

As for the "spread eagle" I have not thought about this, it certainly would not hurt to put some "webbing" (the blue and green straps) at the bottom to act as a lower strut incase the legs decide to spread away from each other. Generally speaking, the weight is so great that it grounds the legs really firmly into the ground.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast750ss View Post
Very nice Rapter, I think I may take it a step beyond by making a cage and bolting it to my lift so I can strap it at any point.
Hey, that is a great idea, just know that if you permanently put something on your lift it will mean that there is going to be four posts or two post in the way of whatever it is you are going to be doing.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:19 am
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Good idea!

Suggestion:
It could use some triangulation. I think both 45 and 60 elbows are available. Look to your Ducati's frame for ideas.

John Filak
Dallas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode