Measure Closer Shim w/o Tool? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2007, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Measure Closer Shim w/o Tool?

Hello All,

I have a 999 and i'm doing my 6K service. I heard there was a trick to measure the shims by putting the opener upside down and measureing from there with a micrometer?

Its funny b/c out of all my shims, one shim actually came marked with "3.25".

Just curious if anyone has tips on measuring the closer shims w/o getting the tool.

Danny

Duc 1098S
Duc GT1000
Harley Street Glide
Husky SM450R
WR450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:20 am

You can measure the unloaded gap with just your measuring feeler guages, then push down on your closer rockers to measure a loaded gap. Of course measring both locations between the shim and opening rocker.

This way you get the same distance measured as if you did the closers.

Brian C.
'01 BCM 795SS / Track Toy
'03 999 w/50mm termi, S cams, BST wheels / daily commuter?

www.cittacorsa.com
1(888)763-4869
Whether it's the City or Track, it's Citta Corsa!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:37 am

Sounds like you are using the opening shim as a tool to measure the closer shim? That won't work as you the OD of the opener will not go down past the taper in the closer shim. You need to get all the way down to the counterbore with the radius on it. The size of the closer shim is measured from that counter bore down inside to the bottom of the shim. Only the closer measurement tool, or something like it will get you the proper measurement.

Mike

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:12 pm
JEC

If you happened across a micrometer that had the exact diameter as the inside of the shim, perhaps. Otherwise just buy the 10-15$ tool and take away the guess work.

Editor, Odd-Bike.com
http://www.odd-bike.com/
'97 916
'06 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor (gone)
'04 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
'87 Honda VFR400R NC24 (gone)
'85 BMW K100RS (gone)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:15 pm

OK, I'm confuese becasue you keep jumping around in your post about opener and closer?? The title of your post says closer shim and then you start off asking about the opener?? Or am I missing something

You don't need any special tools to measure a closer (per the title of this thread) other than a micrometer or other favorite measuring device. The opener requires a tool like Mike mentioned.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

www.ducati-owners-group.com

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Galaxy I think he's talking about using the opener shim as a substitute for using the closer measuring tool. The opener doesn't require a tool, the closer does.

Danny - like Mike said, it won't work. Get the measuring tool, it's only $11.50 at emsduc.com, great company to deal with, and I think they're also a forum sponsor.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:07 pm

The small round one..the one that slides down over the top of the valve stem, that's the opener. No? The one that looks like a top hat, that's the closer. The opener is the one that requires an additional tool to measure. The tool fits down in the shim in place of the vavle stem. Am I not correct on this?? I've never used an additional tool to measure a closer.

'04 800SS...Strati Pipes, 42t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, ABM Rotors, Carbon Lorane pads, Cogent-Dynamics Forks & Ohlins Shock.

'05 749s...Termi 54mm full system, 41t sproket, DiD chain, Evoluzione fender eliminator, PCIII/custom map, Pazzo Levers, Puig DB Windscreen, Penske Shock, CRS Forks, CF everything.

"Freedom, for those who fought for it, has a flavor the protected will never know..."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy
The small round one..the one that slides down over the top of the valve stem, that's the opener. No? The one that looks like a top hat, that's the closer. The opener is the one that requires an additional tool to measure. The tool fits down in the shim in place of the vavle stem. Am I not correct on this?? I've never used an additional tool to measure a closer.
I think you have that backwards...but it's hard to verify without pictures. In the pic I've attached, the green dots are the openers and the red dots are the closers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-3-1192420570.jpg
Views:	1891
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	21395  

2004 ST3
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:01 pm

No, I don't have it backwards...you just showed a picture of exactly what I described. The green dot is the opener, agreed, and fits my description. This is the one that requires a tool to perform measurements of the opener shim when searching for the correct size. The tool is a little thing that fits inside the shim where the top of the valve stem would normally reside.

I see where my description could have been misleading though..they both in fact slide down over the valve stem, but the opener rest on the very top. My bad.

Great picture though!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy
No, I don't have it backwards...you just showed a picture of exactly what I described.
Great picture though!!
Like I said, hard to say without a picture. I was confused by the "slides down over the valve stem" part. I would read the "one that looks like a top hat" part and think yeah, that's right, but then I'd go back to the other sentence and think, well maybe he has it wrong. I'm still unsure though, how do you measure the closer without the tool as it slips over the valve stem and it has the recess in it for the opener (which is just a flat shim)?

2004 ST3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode